cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy A70 Compatibility

Dan25
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, my phone recently broke and I was looking to buy a new one, and stumbled upon the Galaxy A70 on Amazon. However, the phone is listed as "international", and when I check for compatibility on the PM site the A70 isn't even an option, even though its been around 5 months since its release.

Im wondering if anyone knows if I will be able to use this phone with PM.

I am on the $15 plan if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

This is the specific Amazon link to the phone:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RS512XL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1BN7MA8ELLJY5&psc=1

18 REPLIES 18

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Dan25 wrote:

@jimbobs wrote:

Did you buy the Samsung A70? If so, how is it?

Yes I did. I didn't buy the Amazon one though, I bought a used one on Kijiji, so it's the Canadian version. The phone is really great and I honestly have no complaints. Great battery life, really quick, perfect size for me. If you have any specific questions you can ask and I'll try my best to help!

How is the camera? And which model number is it?

Best to be wary of used phones from strangers in general. Kijiji, craigslist, ebay, whatever. They could be blacklisted. Or broken in subtle ways. Older devices often have dying batteries. They could be carrier-locked. 

Most sellers are legit, they're trying to sell their old phone, not trying to rip people off.

But many sellers are surprisingly unsavvy about phone tech they use every day - they have no clue what locking and unlocking really mean, they abuse their batteries, they manhandle and sully things in software/firmware which are better left undisturbed. 

And some less ethical people looking to get rid of useless (or "lost"/stolen) junk they can't get working, take your money, and run.

Mert the seller. Put in your SIM card in the phone, test incoming and outgoing calls, test incoming and outgoing texts, test data on a random website (without signing into anything). If it doesn't all work properly then you don't even have to explain why you're not interested in buying. 

@Dan25 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Dan25  Unfortunately that is not enough as it can get blacklisted weeks after you purchase it.

Really? I didn't know that. Everything seems to be fine now thought so I guess things worked out. Is there any other way to check, or is it best to just avoid Kijiji phones in general.

@Dan25 I would avoid. Multiple examples of people getting burned.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Phone-blacklisted-after-3-month-of-us...

Dan25

@geopublic wrote:

@Dan25  Unfortunately that is not enough as it can get blacklisted weeks after you purchase it.

Really? I didn't know that. Everything seems to be fine now thought so I guess things worked out. Is there any other way to check, or is it best to just avoid Kijiji phones in general.

@88cranston wrote:

Telus used to refer to International as an unlocked phone. 

@88cranston @Dan25  It is also usually denotes that it is dual sim. North american ones often are single sim. Bought my A320 at foreign electronics on Broadway in Vancouver. Great store, great staff...honest and help you out with advice and troubleshooting. Only charge when They actually have to fix your device.

Dan25

@geopublic wrote:

@Dan25  You need to be careful purchasing phones from Kijiji as some phones end up getting blacklisted. Hopefully the one you purchased isn't one of them.

Yeah for sure. I checked the IMEI number to see if it was blacklisted before buying the device, and it was all good.

@Dan25  You need to be careful purchasing phones from Kijiji as some phones end up getting blacklisted. Hopefully the one you purchased isn't one of them.

Dan25

@jimbobs wrote:

Yes I did. I didn't buy the Amazon one though, I bought a used one on Kijiji, so it's the Canadian version. The phone is really great and I honestly have no complaints. Great battery life, really quick, perfect size for me. If you have any specific questions you can ask and I'll try my best to help!

jimbobs

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dan25

Yes. Much better.

Dan25

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dan25 wrote:

Hi, my phone recently broke and I was looking to buy a new one, and stumbled upon the Galaxy A70 on Amazon. However, the phone is listed as "international", and when I check for compatibility on the PM site the A70 isn't even an option, even though its been around 5 months since its release.

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RS512XL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1BN7MA8ELLJY5&psc=1

Not much for LTE though. But data can work on HSDPA. Maybe some latency. But that only really matters for videos.

Edit: that Amazon listing has a question/answer from an actual Public Mobile customer saying it works.

Hi, and thanks for replying. So I also found someone locally selling a new A70 that they have, and this one is the Canadian one from the Samsung store, and the website states:

• 2G GSM GSM850, GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900
  • 3G UMTS B1(2100), B2(1900), B4(AWS), B5(850), B8(900)
  • 4G FDD LTE B1(2100), B2(1900), B3(1800), B4(AWS), B5(850), B7(2600), B12(700), B13(700), B17(700), B20(800), B26(850), B29(700), B66(AWS-3)
  • 4G TDD LTE B38(2600), B40(2300), B41(2500)

Compared to the Amazon international version I definitely notice more bands etc. Based on the other comments, I'm assuming these specs would run normally, without problem on Public Mobile, would I be correct with this assumption?

Software built into international devices tends to have badly very Englishes. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Dan25  Not a good choice for LTE. Maybe look at the new Nokia 7.2 available via B&H Photo. Supports all bands runs stock Android guaranteed updates for 3 years.

88cranston

Telus used to refer to International as an unlocked phone. 

@Dan25  It should work, but for the Canadian market, I wouldn't get a device missing bands 2 and 4 on LTE unless it's very inexpensive.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dan25 wrote:

Thanks!

Not much for LTE though. But data can work on HSDPA. Maybe some latency. But that only really matters for videos.

Edit: that Amazon listing has a question/answer from an actual Public Mobile customer saying it works.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Dan25 

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a70-9646.php

It has the following:

HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

Which is required for PM.  It should work with PM.  

Need Help? Let's chat.