cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung A50 with wokring built in FM radio

CellphoneuserPM
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Is there any one with a Samsung A50 that has a working FM built in radio?

26 REPLIES 26

@computergeek541 

Actually its not bad....i haven't tested it outside and I probably wouldnt listen to it on bluetooth headphones but on a bluetooth speaker its perfectly acceptable. 

Tuned in 88.1, 93.7, 94.5, 95.3, 96.1, 96.9, 97.7, 99.3, 101.1, 102., 103.5, 105.7....fancy that!.

@softech wrote:

@darlicious you said it works even with the Bluetooth headphone?  but with BT headphone, it still need the dongle plugged in?

The Motorola FM radio app allows user to use the FM radio without headphones plugged in. However, the signal will be so weak that you may not receive any stations, or the audio quality would be so bad that you might not want to listen.

@softech 

Lol....the dongle?!!

@darlicious you said it works even with the Bluetooth headphone?  but with BT headphone, it still need the dongle plugged in?

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I didn't know phones came with FM radio. I guess neither one of the couple of phones I have had ever had it. Since I might be looking for a new phone pretty soon I will have to keep that in mind.

@Anonymous 

You can test your phone first checking in at the burj khalifa and I will test mine at dinner when the check arrives.😃🍾🥂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Well there you go. Now we can take our UAE Samsung phones to Dubai on our lovers tryst 🙂 and set up Samsung Pay.

@Anonymous 

Weirdly, since NFC is not something I would use all three of my phones happen to have it?!!

@softech 

Well that post is from 2018....so I can confirm it works with the adapter/wired headphones in the charging port, bluetooth headphones and speaker. The reception is not the best inside but I will test in a bit outside when I go for a bike ride......of course this is totally dependent on the phone and app version you have. Thumbs up for motorola's fm radio app.....the camera not so much!😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : I had first got model A315G/DSL made for the latin america market. gsmarena says region specific. It didn't work in this region. I returned it and got the A315F/DS. It works.

I would tend to doubt the manufacturer would make all these variations and not include basic components. I can easily imagine they would disable them here and there as needed. Like the radio. It's there...just not working.

look like people are testing it on usb-c phone .. but sadly without success

How does the radio work for USB-C if there is no headphone jack? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral....

@softech 

Looks like you are partially correct....The FM radio on my A320 gives me a message that no antenna is available for it to work....please plug in headphones to the jack for it to work. That message came up with the adapter and headphones not plugged in and after plugging them in and trying to tune in a station.

Screenshot_20210726-163413_Radio.jpgScreenshot_20210726-163931_Radio.jpg

So I started writing this and thought well lets just see what the moto says.....hello moto! Here's What it had to say.......Edit: so yes it works once you plug in the set up or without but lesser reception. Motorola fm radio app 2 version 2015

Screenshot_20210726-163657.pngScreenshot_20210726-163746.pngScreenshot_20210726-163811.png

@darlicious wrote:

@softech 

There's a simple solution to the lack of headphone jack on phones. An adapter....the ones pictured below: White....supplied with my google pixel 3. Black....bought from amazon 2 for $9+tax.

PXL_20210726_231031134.jpg

I have been thinking if that would work as an antenna.. but i don't have a phone , usb-c, with FM chip to test.. lol

@CellphoneuserPM 

My A320 ( UAE) 2017 has working FM radio but its running Android 8 last updated in Sept. 2020. My moto g7+ also has working FM radio running Android 10 last updated June 2021. I don't know if I will upgrade it to Android 11.

@Anonymous 

I don't think the NFC is disabled. Everything I read about the NFC is that it is region specific so it can only be enabled for use in the area the phone was marketed and designed for.....so the next time we take trip to Dubai we can enable the NFC together to test it out.......lol!😉

@softech 

There's a simple solution to the lack of headphone jack on phones. An adapter....the ones pictured below: White....supplied with my google pixel 3. Black....bought from amazon 2 for $9+tax.

PXL_20210726_231031134.jpg

the NFC chip disabled, what geographical model was that?

If it is not North American, I wonder if it is local govt law.. Just like iCloud.. Some govts need the iCloud to be hosted on the "government" cloud instead.. lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : I totally agree. You buy a thing with the certain set of features it offers. Those features should never be disabled. My old Blackberry did the same thing. It came with the receiver, it had an app, it worked...last update...gone.

Nor should features that are about certainly there be disabled for whatever geographic reason. I had acquired an A31 before this one that had the NFC chip disabled. I hardly think the manufacturer would bother to subtract the NFC during manufacturing on what seems to be the same model. gsmarena even gives that proviso. Ridiculous.

@Anonymous wrote:

One other is UAE. I have an A31 running A11 for the UAE market bought from a little vendor in Richmond BC. Has radio receiver, has Samsung radio app, insert headphones...works.

Enjoy all you can before they turn it off in the next update.. LoL

but honest, if the chip is there... if it has been working, they really shouldn't just take it away with an OS update.. 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CellphoneuserPM wrote:

Samsung does have a working radio app but they only provide it to Austrialia and India posibbly others. Samsung is purposely with holding the Radio App and since the Android 11 update I do not think any phones with built FM radio's are working.

One other is UAE. I have an A31 running A11 for the UAE market bought from a little vendor in Richmond BC. Has radio receiver, has Samsung radio app, insert headphones...works.

..everyone is pushing for streaming via app

also, with the removal of the wired headset (needs that as the antenna), there is really no place for FM radio on phone anymore.. 

@CellphoneuserPM wrote:

Samsung does have a working radio app but they only provide it to Austrialia and India posibbly others. Samsung is purposely with holding the Radio App and since the Android 11 update I do not think any phones with built FM radio's are working.

It's not just a matter of the Samsung FM radio app not being installed. They also made a software change to disable the tuner meaning that it doesn't work even if you install the original app or a third party app.

CellphoneuserPM

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@CellphoneuserPM wrote:

do you have one yourself?  If so, where do you get it from?  Most North American version of the phone do not carry FM built-in (or they might have the chip but purposely tuned it off), usually this is only found in Asian version (maybe European as well) 

@CellphoneuserPM 

Do you have the latest software update and the north american version of the phone?

Edit:

Read all about it here....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/FM-Radio/td-p/678404

@CellphoneuserPM wrote:

If you already have this device, try installing NextRadio. Your need to plug in a corded pair of headphones.  If this doesn't work, Samsung has disabled the feature. Short of installing a custom ROM or hoping that Samsung enables the feature in a future update, an alternative woudl be to use internet steaming radio.

CellphoneuserPM

I am interested in anyone who has a working built in FM radio using the Samsung A50

Need Help? Let's chat.