cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung A11

kristendougan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

my daughter managed to lock herself out of her phone. She had it setup with both fingerprint and a password. She changed the password and now the fingerprint wont work and the password she says she set doesnt work and the previous one doesnt either. cant restart or shut off the phone as it asks for the password. If you swipe to bring up the password screen it says: draw pattern after restart. I managed to get the phone to restart but its looking like I am going to have to hard reset the phone to factory. Hoping theres a way using the carrier can unlock the phone. there is no google account setup yet or anything yet.

12 REPLIES 12

@kristendougan wrote:

So great news, the factory reset worked, and since there was no Samsung account or Google account attached to it, it actually asked me to connect to my wifi to verify its me! 

Luckily she hadn't had the phone long either so she didn't have much to lose on it picture wise!

Thanks for everyone's input and advice! Greatly appreciated!

Glad to hear it worked. If she still want to add fingerprint for unlocking, make sure to add multiple finger prints so device can easily read all sides of the finger used. Or simply use the passcode that is easy to remember. 

kristendougan

So great news, the factory reset worked, and since there was no Samsung account or Google account attached to it, it actually asked me to connect to my wifi to verify its me! 

Luckily she hadn't had the phone long either so she didn't have much to lose on it picture wise!

Thanks for everyone's input and advice! Greatly appreciated!

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kristendougan :Did any of the above posted replies to this thread you created help your issue?

If so, you should choose one of the above posted replies as your accepted solution, which will mark this thread as solved and help others who have similar issues.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@kristendougan , I did some searching to see if there is a way to bypass/reset the screen lock password or save the data on the phone before doing a factory reset and I came up with nothing.  If accounts were set up on the phone then data would have been easily retrievable from cloud storage.  Seeing that this phone is used for very basic functions, a factory reset would not cause major loss of data anyway.  Just proceed with doing a factory reset.  

Hi @kristendougan 

If the phone wasn't ever logged into with a Google account or Samsung account, and if it is being used by an 11 year old, is it safe to assume a Factory Reset won't really cause much significant data loss?

I mean, maybe some pictures or videos, but at least it doesn't sound like there might be a whole lot of important data stored on it.  At least I hope that's the case. 

Here's a link to the Samsung site which discusses this:

How to access your phone if you forget the pattern lock? | Samsung HK_EN

Best of luck!!!

kristendougan

no samsung account or a google account was ever put in, shes only 11 and its for communication while going to and from school, so i was in no rush to setup any of that stuff

@kristendougan wrote:

what if its never been logged into a google account at all?

As the device was never associated with a Google account, you shouldn't be asked for Google login credentials though.  If you never logged into Google, are you saying that you've never installed any apps from Play Store and never checked G-mail for new e-mail messages?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kristendougan : Was a Samsung account created? I think that would be more useful.

kristendougan

what if its never been logged into a google account at all?

@kristendougan wrote:

my daughter managed to lock herself out of her phone. She had it setup with both fingerprint and a password. She changed the password and now the fingerprint wont work and the password she says she set doesnt work and the previous one doesnt either. cant restart or shut off the phone as it asks for the password. If you swipe to bring up the password screen it says: draw pattern after restart. I managed to get the phone to restart but its looking like I am going to have to hard reset the phone to factory. Hoping theres a way using the carrier can unlock the phone. there is no google account setup yet or anything yet.

This isn't something that a carrier can help you with. This is entirely related to the software on your phone.  Keep in mind that if you force a factory reset, you will lose all user content saved on the device if it hasn't been backed up.  You'll also be sending the the phone into factory reset protection mode, meaning that you'll need to log into your Google account to be able to start using the device again.

kristendougan

the phone was setup and she has been using it, i dont know if remote unlock is on, maybe i will look into seeing if that works then, fingers crossed. she hasnt had it all that long which is why we hadnt set up her google stuff yet

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@kristendougan Was it set up at all? There are a few ways to unlock it using Samsung Remote unlock, but if this service was not turned on, you are out of luck. 
How can I unlock my Galaxy device if I forgot the security PIN, pattern or password? | Samsung Singa...

You can also unlock through Google Account, Find my device options, but since account was not set up, you can't unlock it this way. 

I hope there was not much data saved on it, factory reset is the only way i see. 

Need Help? Let's chat.