cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same phone number

Naimch
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got a new phone line with public mobile but it seems like this number is being currently in use by someone 

4 REPLIES 4

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Naimch  What have you done to test if it is "in use by someone" else?

Sometimes the number is not actually in use, but is still associated with some services like google RCS, iMessage, and whatsapp, and those have processes to de-register the number.

What happens if you call the number from another phone - does your phone ring, or do you get someone else?

It's also possible if you have a new account that you have been assigned a number that was already in use by another customer, and if so you can either just change you number for free using the self-serve portal, or open a ticket with the moderator team to investigate if maybe someone else who's a new customer was assigned your number in error.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Just to add,  ..  No, rebooting your phone or Reseat SIM won't resolve the issue  🙂

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Naimch wrote:

I got a new phone line with public mobile but it seems like this number is being currently in use by someone 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Naimch   Yes, this thing happens more often than you thought.  Just 15 mins ago , another thread:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Someone-has-the-same-phone-number/m-p...

(maybe you 2 share the same number? LoL)

The only way to do is to request a Change Number from My Account.  It is unlikely you can keep the number you picked earlier since it is owned by someone else already.

Need Help? Let's chat.