cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS Settings for Sonim XP Bolt???

c4ndl3burn3r
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello there. I have a Sonim XP Bolt phone. It is not a smart phone by any means. I switched to Public Mobile from Virgin over a year ago and have no complaints about the service whatsoever, it's great. However, intantly I was/am unable to view emoticons or any sms messages. Does somebody know for sure what the settings are for this phone??? Thank you in advance if you are able to help!

Dennis

11 REPLIES 11

c4ndl3burn3r

Everything I try does not seem to work. I am gonna try to do a factory reset in a week or two and see if that helps. Thank you for your efforts.

Dennis

@c4ndl3burn3r wrote:

Are you referring to the "Authorization Type"? If so, I can only set that to normal or secure.

My phone has GPS on it and if I try to enable it, it says it "cannot connect to server". 

Phone also has internet but caanot connect to that either. Not sure if the gps or internet problem ties into this original problem or not though. 

Thank you for trying to help.

Dennis

I'm actually talking specifically about APN type, a setting that is present on most Android phones. I do realize that your phone isn't Android-based, and I'm not too familar with the softawre on your phone model.

I will say that you do not need to set APN settings for SMS text messaging. The SMSC/Message Centre setting is likely with the text message program installed on your phone. APN settings only need to be set correctly for multimedia messages.

I would try getting rid of the proxy and port entries. From what I see, phones usually have a proxy setting and and an MMS proxy (also a port and MMS port), both which should be set differently.

c4ndl3burn3r

Are you referring to the "Authorization Type"? If so, I can only set that to normal or secure.

My phone has GPS on it and if I try to enable it, it says it "cannot connect to server". 

Phone also has internet but caanot connect to that either. Not sure if the gps or internet problem ties into this original problem or not though. 

Thank you for trying to help.

Dennis

c4ndl3burn3r

Ok. Under messages there are all my text messages - sent, saved, saved, drafts, inbox, outbox etc. and there is email, and there is broadcast messages. I have broadcast messages turned on so I thought I would see amber alerts. Thank you for that info. 

@c4ndl3burn3r I would pay special attention to the APN type setting.

Try a setting of:

default,mms

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your phone doesn't connect to LTE so you'll probably never get amber alerts. I had a longer explanation but it's disappeared to the spam filter most likely

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@c4ndl3burn3r wrote:

When I was with Virgin, people were able to send text with smiley faces. Now they are just squares. People send me pics and I cannot see them. I am able to send and receive text messages just fine. My phone settings are as follows:

Network selection is set to manual. I made it search for a network and the following were available - Telus, Bell or Rogers. Telus is selected.

Data Connection is set to Always

Data Accont is set to Public Mobile 2 as the default

Accont Name - Public Mobile 2

APN - sp.mb.com

Username - blank

Password - blank

Authorization Type - Normal

Under Advanced Settings

MMSC/Homepage - http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

Connection Type - HTTP

Use Proxy - Yes

Proxy Address - 74.49.0.18

Proxy Port - 80

Proxy User Name - blank

Proxy Password - blank

Primary DNS - 000.000.000.000

Secondary DNS - 000.000.000.000

IP Address - 000.000.000.000

Subnet Mask - 000.000.000.000

Under Service Selection - Automatic is selected and GSM and WCDMA are alternatives

I should also note that I never receive any Amber Alerts on this phone, not even when they were issuing test alerts.

Thank you for the responses so far,

Dennis

Amber alerts are sent when connected to the LTE network. I don't believe that phone has anything other than 3G, so you probably aren't ever going to get amber alerts. 

I had a similar phone with virgin. I never got the emergency alerts either. I read somewhere that it had to do with the fact that you couldn't enable data on the phone.

@c4ndl3burn3r wrote:

When I was with Virgin, people were able to send text with smiley faces. Now they are just squares. People send me pics and I cannot see them. I am able to send and receive text messages just fine. My phone settings are as follows:

Network selection is set to manual. I made it search for a network and the following were available - Telus, Bell or Rogers. Telus is selected.

APN - sp.mb.com

Username - blank

Password - blank

Under Advanced Settings

Connection Type - HTTP

Use Proxy - Yes

Proxy Port - 80

Proxy User Name - blank

Proxy Password - blank

Under Service Selection - Automatic is selected and GSM and WCDMA are alternatives

I should also note that I never receive any Amber Alerts on this phone, not even when they were issuing test alerts.

Dennis

c4ndl3burn3r

When I was with Virgin, people were able to send text with smiley faces. Now they are just squares. People send me pics and I cannot see them.  I am able to send and receive text messages just fine. My phone settings are as follows:

APN - sp.mb.com

Username - blank

Password - blank

Under Advanced Settings

Connection Type - HTTP

Use Proxy - Yes

Proxy Port - 80

Proxy User Name - blank

Proxy Password - blank

Dennis

@c4ndl3burn3r wrote:

Hello there. I have a Sonim XP Bolt phone. It is not a smart phone by any means. I switched to Public Mobile from Virgin over a year ago and have no complaints about the service whatsoever, it's great. However, intantly I was/am unable to view emoticons or any sms messages. Does somebody know for sure what the settings are for this phone??? Thank you in advance if you are able to help!

Are you able to send text messages? What happens if you send a text message to yourself?

Usually, the only setting for SMS  that would be different after swtching carriers would be the SMSC setting.  That should be set to +16475800172.  

I'm curious when you mention emoticons? Are you able receive any text messages?

I'm also wondering if you're actually asking about MMS.  MMS cannot be sent or received unless the correct APN settings have been set.  Although some adjustments may have to be made to the following settings, here's a relatively good reference for those settings: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Can this phone enable mobile data? It seems that you have to enable this function to receive/send mms messages.

@c4ndl3burn3r wrote:

Dennis

Need Help? Let's chat.