cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM transfer troubles

ca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, according to PM website this phone should be compatible with my current PM SIM card. However I've been using the SIM in my old Moto E4 which takes the smallest SIM size. It appears the new Samsung takes a slightly larger SIM size and I no longer have the extra plastic bits to fit around the SIM. Do I just find the nearest PM retailer to get the extra SIM plastic casing? I'm in Chetwynd BC.

Many thanks

14 REPLIES 14

@ca wrote:

Hey thank you, I'm wondering if it's possible to reset my new (used) phone back to my old phone's settings, while still retaining some of the previously used phone's apps which are currently installed? Get the best of both worlds so to speak. If I can't have both then I will just lose the new stuff and go back to the stuff I backed up on my old phone 🙂

Thanks

@ca  Once you start the configuration of your new used phone after doing a factory reset it will ask you if you want to restore a backup of your old phone say yes and follow the prompts.

ca

Hey thank you, I'm wondering if it's possible to reset my new (used) phone back to my old phone's settings, while still retaining some of the previously used phone's apps which are currently installed? Get the best of both worlds so to speak. If I can't have both then I will just lose the new stuff and go back to the stuff I backed up on my old phone 🙂

Thanks

@ca  You need to do a factory reset on your new phone. Go into settings system advanced rest options.

ca

OK thank you!

Got the phone unlocked.

Now the issue is, while I previously backed up everything from my old phone, when I unlocked the new phone with my old SIM inserted, the new phone (new to me, previously used) still had everything from the previous user on it and none of my contacts, apps, photos etc. How do I get all my old stuff back onto this new phone?

Thanks!

@ca wrote:

Hey Thank you all for the assistance!

Apologies as I am in a remote location with limited connectivity.

I finally got a SIM plastic casing thingy so it fits in my new phone.

However now the new phone says Invalid (Network Locked) SIM card even though PM website says this phone should work with my SIM card, and I need a code to unlock it.

Can PM help me with this?

THANK YOU!

Public Mobile cannot assist with this. You need to contact the carrier that the device is locked to. You can also purchase unlock codes for most device from third-party retailers (usually online).

@ca  That message means that your new phone is locked to the previous provider

It needs to be unlocked before you can use it with Public Mobile.

ca

Hey Thank you all for the assistance!

Apologies as I am in a remote location with limited connectivity.

I finally got a SIM plastic casing thingy so it fits in my new phone.

However now the new phone says Invalid (Network Locked) SIM card even though PM website says this phone should work with my SIM card, and I need a code to unlock it.

Can PM help me with this?

THANK YOU!

hyT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ca 

I have always saved the punched out frames of tri-SIMs or dual-SIMs. I have also bought from an online store a few years ago SIM adapter kits with various frames (for $1 each when the store had a free-shipping promotion). So any nanoSIM can be used in any of my old phones in a pinch. It's the metal contacts of the SIM that make it work. No need to buy a new SIM or swap SIM numbers. 

If you're going to buy a new SIM, save whatever frame that is unused for future situations like this one. 

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you're out in the boonies and can't find someone to give you something for free . . .

There are Canadian sellers on ebay.ca that will sell you a SIM adapter for $2 shipping included.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ca , don't waste money buying a new SIM card.  The rings snap on and off to make the SIM card larger/smaller.  Just go to a local cell shop and ask nicely for a ring.  They probably have tons in the round file.  

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@ca 

Do you still have the original parts of your sim?

You can reuse them, they are an adapter really

Many other providers have the same thing so you can check with your family members if they have spare parts of their sim.

Where are you located I have many I can pass you some

I'm in Hamilton area.

You also may be able to get it in mobile stores

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ca  You can get those at any mobile retail shop. Most places throw them away so they will give you one for free.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Or @ca  you find the nearest retailer and buy a new tri punch SIM card.  Go into your self service account,  amd switch your sim card. Stay safe. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@ca ya, just go to a Walmart or London drugs. just make sure they don't try to activate the sim for you. this will cause you problems. you can change your sim yourself in your self serve

change pass,sim,number.jpeg

Need Help? Let's chat.