cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM not working

reilly85
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I bought a new phone off Kijiji. I checked to see if the IMEI was clean and it was. I put my SIM in... worked... for 5 days. Now all the sudden it isnt working. I checked the compatibility on PM and it says it should work. Then it says it has been reported lost or stolen. I used multiple IMEI checkers and they all say my phone is fine. I put my brother in laws Roger SIM card in it and it worked no problem. My SIM card works in my old phone. 

What should I do

28 REPLIES 28

@reilly85 wrote:

Seems to only be an issue with PM. However no email and no phone line makes it hard to get ahold of them to troubleshoot. I sent a private message but im not sure how fast they reply

Waiting time is few hours to 2 days...patience they will answer your message..

reilly85

Seems to only be an issue with PM. However no email and no phone line makes it hard to get ahold of them to troubleshoot. I sent a private message but im not sure how fast they reply

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I don't know if the carriers are/should be allowed to use the blacklist as their way of dealing with bad accounts.  The carriers are known for blacklisting phones that they sold to delinquent customers.  Invariably these phones end up being sold online at too good to be true pricing.  Unless it was a mistake, the IMEI will eventually make its way to the Canadian blacklist.  In any event, the moderator team should be able to provide the background on why the IMEI is on the Public Mobile blacklist.  If it truly is in error, they should be able to correct it.  

I'm not sure, but I believe it was on Howard Forums that I read about this.  Someone had purchased a phone from a private party and it ended up being blacklisted for some account issue.  I believe the carrier in quetsion was Bell Mobility.  I vaguely recall the member taking Bell to CCTS over this on the basiss that was not the intent of the national blacklist.  I even believe that the person requested the CCTS make a ruling.  I'm not 100% sure if it was an imposed ruling or Bell did it this to end the complaint, but, it was reported the Bell ended up replacing the phone.

Errors do happen.  I mentioned this case in the community forum before and it is worthy to note it again here.  I have a friend who is a Koodo customer.  She bought a phone from them and out of the blue the phone stopped connecting to the network.  She followed up with Koodo and they found the phone ended up on the blacklist.  Nobody was able to explain why (maybe too embarrassed to reveal the truth).  It took a bit of time but the IMEI was removed from the blacklist.  

I would hope they gave her a new phone with a clean IMEI number for her troubles and their error!!  (can only wish lol)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I don't know if the carriers are/should be allowed to use the blacklist as their way of dealing with bad accounts.  The carriers are known for blacklisting phones that they sold to delinquent customers.  Invariably these phones end up being sold online at too good to be true pricing.  Unless it was a mistake, the IMEI will eventually make its way to the Canadian blacklist.  In any event, the moderator team should be able to provide the background on why the IMEI is on the Public Mobile blacklist.  If it truly is in error, they should be able to correct it.  

I'm not sure, but I believe it was on Howard Forums that I read about this.  Someone had purchased a phone from a private party and it ended up being blacklisted for some account issue.  I believe the carrier in quetsion was Bell Mobility.  I vaguely recall the member taking Bell to CCTS over this on the basiss that was not the intent of the national blacklist.  I even believe that the person requested the CCTS make a ruling.  I'm not 100% sure if it was an imposed ruling or Bell did it this to end the complaint, but, it was reported the Bell ended up replacing the phone.

Errors do happen.  I mentioned this case in the community forum before and it is worthy to note it again here.  I have a friend who is a Koodo customer.  She bought a phone from them and out of the blue the phone stopped connecting to the network.  She followed up with Koodo and they found the phone ended up on the blacklist.  Nobody was able to explain why (maybe too embarrassed to reveal the truth).  It took a bit of time but the IMEI was removed from the blacklist.  

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@reilly85 wrote:

according to every IMEI checker and rogers and telus its not. according to PM it is

This says to me that this phone was a Telus or Koodo device, and that the carrier might have blocked it from use by Telus brands because of account payment issues.

It's also possible that the device really has (or might even be) lost or stolen.  In that case, the national blacklist might not have been updated yet with this IMEI.

Either way, you were sold a phone that doesn't work. Either way, your only way out of this may be to see if you can get a refund from the seller or maybe even go to the police (although they may consider this type of case to be of a lower priority.

Another possibility could be that the phone was blacklisted by the carrier in error.

@Lieux wrote:

@reilly85 wrote:

didnt work. It recognizes that I have a voicemail. but wont connect to the network

Did you port your number from another company?

I recognize that you are trying to be helpful.  However, when you post many, many times in a single thread with off the wall suggestions, it is a distraction.  Why on earth would you suggest that OP ported his service to another company.  It is quite evident in the initial post that the account is working as the SIM card was confirmed to function in a different phone.  Going forward, I expect you to be more focused with your suggestions, otherwise I will report your off topic posts as inappropriate.

@reilly85 wrote:

according to every IMEI checker and rogers and telus its not. according to PM it is

This says to me that this phone was a Telus or Koodo device, and that the carrier might have blocked it from use by Telus brands because of account payment issues.

It's also possible that the device really has (or might even be) lost or stolen.  In that case, the national blacklist might not have been updated yet with this IMEI.

Either way, you were sold a phone that doesn't work. Either way, your only way out of this may be to see if you can get a refund from the seller or maybe even go to the police (although they may consider this type of case to be of a lower priority.

Another possibility could be that the phone was blacklisted by the carrier in error.

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@reilly85 

Good sign...lol...then eventually you should get it to work....

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Lieux wrote:

Did you try the lost/stolen trick? Go in your self serve account and click in the tab plan/add-in’s and after click on lost/stolen my phone .. close your phone few minutes and open it again and click on find my phone... see what happened.. and let us know..

In the first message of the thread that you even quoted, the OP states that phone has been blacklisted.  As such, the model or the phone would make no difference, nor can the customer do anyting with the self-serve account to make the device work.

That’s why I wrote in an another message that’s strange that the phone is blacklisted because it was Ok with the sim from Rogers.. is it possible blacklisted with only one company ?

reilly85

someone elses sim worked in the kijiji unit

@Lieux wrote:

Did you try the lost/stolen trick? Go in your self serve account and click in the tab plan/add-in’s and after click on lost/stolen my phone .. close your phone few minutes and open it again and click on find my phone... see what happened.. and let us know..

Alex888 and Lieux,

In the first message of the thread that was even quoted, the OP states that phone has been blacklisted.  As such, the model or the phone would make no difference, nor can the customer do anyting with the self-serve account to make the device work.  Restarting it can't fix a phone's IMEI being blacklisted by a carrier or nationally either.

@reilly85 wrote:

didnt work. It recognizes that I have a voicemail. but wont connect to the network

Did you port your number from another company?

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@reilly85 

If the sim worked in another phone..something has happened with the kijiji unit.....

reilly85

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@reilly85 , as far as I know, this is the official Canadian blacklist.

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Buying a phone from Kijiji is known to be high risk.  I am a long time member if RFD and they have stickied a thread discussing this very topic to warn member of the perils of buying phone from Kijiji.  

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/buying-phones-kijiji-blacklisted-2130169/

If the IMEI is not showing on the Canadian blacklist, I suggest contacting the moderator team to find out why Public Mobile has blacklisted the phone.   The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.  Good luck with getting this sorted out.  

@reilly85 wrote:

Did you try with willmyphonework.com? Compatibility with public mobile...

reilly85

@reilly85 I explained to you in my message above.. just few steps..

reilly85

iphone 8. my old was a 6. my brother in laws is an 8

reilly85

what is the lost/stolen trick

reilly85

Ive called telus bell and rogers. its only with public mobile that its not working. My brother in laws rogers SIM worked

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@reilly85 @Is your phone blacklisted??? I don’t understand because you have used it with the sim from Rogers...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@reilly85 wrote:

I bought a new phone off Kijiji. I checked to see if the IMEI was clean and it was. I put my SIM in... worked... for 5 days. Now all the sudden it isnt working. I checked the compatibility on PM and it says it should work. Then it says it has been reported lost or stolen. I used multiple IMEI checkers and they all say my phone is fine. I put my brother in laws Roger SIM card in it and it worked no problem. My SIM card works in my old phone. 

What should I do

Can you contact the seller and tell them that now all of a sudden it's been blacklisted. If they're honourable they might do something for you. If not...caveat emptor.

This is another blacklist checker.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@reilly85Have you tried restarting the phone, or the lost/stolen trick?

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

If the phone has been black-listed as stolen...keep using your old phone until you get a new one.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@reilly85 wrote:

What should I do

What’s your phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.