Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM not working on older model phone

Mindless
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All,

Overview:

- I've recently activated a SIM for the simple TALK only plan. I don't need data nor text messages - we simply need this phone for calls only. 

- The SIM has been successfully activated - it works on other phones

- The phone is confirmed - unlocked (former Rogers)

- Phone Model: Samsung SGH-S366 (older style flip phone) 

- Phone Specs: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-SGH-S366_id3357

- Phone User Manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/145004/Samsung-Sgh-S366.html?page=11#manual

Issue:

- This phone seems to take an older style SIM card. (the card size is the same but the chip area is larger)

- When I insert the largest triple punch card - it doesn't register and keeps giving me a "Wrong Sim" error message

Questions:

- Does Public Mobile offer the older larger SIMs?

- What is that type of SIM card called? Can I get the replacement card from one of the distributing stores? 

- Is there a work-around for this?

- If this doesn't work - can I get a refund for my prepaid service as this will clearly not work with the phone we need. (We don't want to use a smart phone)

Thanks!

~ V

Chip ComparisonChip ComparisonSIM ComparisonSIM ComparisonError MessageError Message

Insert SIMInsert SIM

19 REPLIES 19

PhoneSeeker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Mindless

Just buy this $60 pre-paid Koodo flip phone: https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/alcatel-go-flip-0

It will work on Public Mobile without unlocking, and it will be compatible with PM's network since they are the same.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Try cleaning the exposed electrical contacts.  On the SIM card.  In the phone SIM card slot - it's old, could have years of nearly-invisible oxidation gunk on/in it.

You can use an electrical contact cleaner like DeoxIT or Stabilant-22, though they're overkill.  Isopropyl alcohol will work fine, though it's a weak solvent so you may need to do some "real" scrubbing with a toothbrush or q-tips or lint-free cloth wrapped around a wooden toothpick - electrical grade anhydrous (>99.9% pure) isopropyl would be ideal, but any drugstore 70% stuff will work fine as long as it doesn't have perfumes or other additives which might leave a conductive residue.

It goes without saying that electronics should be unplugged, unpowered, unbatteried when exposed to liquids, lol, and that they should be given time to fully dry out afterwards.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mindless glad we could help. Thanks for the update. And thanks for an informitive first post.  Many people post minimal info or just my phone doesn't work which asked it hard to give proper advice.

Mindless

Hi @LEGO@computergeek541@mimmo @Anonymous,

Thank you all for your responses and taking the time to help me troubleshoot my issue. Just wanted to give an update as I've resolved to just get a new phone. As a few of you previously mentioned, the phone I had previously was not going to work on the network... So I ended up grabbing a Telus Pre-Paid Alcatel Go Flip which meets all of our requirements (and more!). Plugged the sim card in (nano-sim) to the slot and it worked with no issues 🙂 It's got big buttons, a large enough screen and basic functionality fitting for any senior or technologically challenged users! 

You guys have been great!! Thanks again 🙂 

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Mindless Have you looked at Nokia 3310 3G phone that was released in 2017? Buy the one that single SIM only as it is support more frequencies.

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_3310_3g-8876.php

It is unlocked for $60 USD at BestBuy_com

The Samsung S366 will never work on Public Mobile even if it is unlocked.  It is a GSM only phone and is not compatible with Public Mobile (nor Bell, Telus, Freedom, Virgin, Koodo).

https://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/en/Wireless/NewCellPhone/Samsung_S366PayAsYouGo_En.pdf

LEGO

If you search for the phone you like on site GSMArena_com, you will see phone-supporting frequency like on this screenshot:

99.jpg

Mindless

Thanks LEGO,

So when I'm searching for a new phone, what types of things do I need to be aware of for compatability?  Just that it's 3g capable and unlocked?  

As it's only for voice - we don't need anything fancy. 

LEGO

@Mindlesswrote:

I wish I could just get a Nokia 8210 or something of the like!  

Any suggestions on compatible phones tha tmight fit the bill?  

Thanks!

Nokia 8210 does not support 3G.

There are newer basic phones that would work, like Nokia 207 and Nokia 208.

LEGO

@Mindless There are some stores that still sell older phones, but you would have to ether try SIM card in them to see if they work OR you have to write down model number and check theirs supporting frequencies online before buying.

Mindless

Hi LEGO,

Thank you again for looking in to everything. 

I just plugged the original Rogers SIM back in and it detected it right away so I'm thinking it's the sim card size/slot issue? The chip on that card is slightly larger so maybe it won't function with the newer sims?

I can only access the phone if the SIM is detected, else it only allows me to SOS call. So using the old sim - it says "Unregistered SIM" but I can now access phone menu items. I tried to change some settings but it will not allow me to. 

- Settings

- Connectivity

- Network Selection 

- It's default to "Automatic" and will not allow me to select "Manual" as it just states "NOT ALLOWED!". 

There doesn't seem to be any other options to select changes to specific phone settings (like you can on a smartphone) so I'm not sure where I can go from here. 

I think I may just need to get a new basic phone - but I'm not sure where I can find one for cheap. Basically, the phone is for my 100 year old grandfather so technology is his enemy when it comes to smartphones. I wish I could just get a Nokia 8210 or something of the like!  

Any suggestions on compatible phones tha tmight fit the bill?  

Thanks!

LEGO

@Mindless Have you switched in Settings > Network Mode > GSM only to WCDMA? It is not covered in manual, so you have to search and check that option.

LEGO

@Mindless I have look deeper into phone-supported frequency and this phone does not support 3G. You need a different phone.

Mindless

Hi Mimmo_L,

I can confirm that the phone is unlocked - straight from Rogers. 

I plugged the IMEI # in to the PM phone checker and it says it should work:

SGH-S366

Your device should work on our Network.
Your device has not been reported as lost or stolen.

So I don't think it's the phone itself - it's likely just the SIM Card insertion/detection. 

Thanks!

Mindless

Hi LEGO,

Thank you for your insight. The cloning tool is a great suggestion but I think it's beyond what we are willing to invest in. Perhaps we just need to get a different phone.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The phone  might not even work as I think old tlrigers phones use 2g and not 3g for calling.

Also is the phone unlocked?

Refunds are very hard to get. And I do not think your case qualifies.

Mindless

Hi abTest,

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I have tried several ways to add thickness (tape and paper/card stock) to enhance the contact of the chip but found no success. I even have a SIM Card Adapter and it doesn't seem to make any difference either (the adapter has a back on it and actually makes the chip area stick out a bit more). The error message remains the same when I turn on the phone so that's why it makes me wonder if the chip size actually makes a difference. 

I appreciate your help! 🙂  

LEGO

11.jpg
@Mindless You can buy SIM Cloning device with blank SIM cards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mindless, The chip area shouldn't make a difference.  Perhaps you are simply not getting good contact due to thickness.  That is, because you are using the detachable rings, it could be that at the point where the contacts are, the contacts are not being pushed up against the phone properly.  The reality is that the newer , smallest SIM size is also a tiny bit thinner.  If it is safe (don't want it to get stuck anywhere), you could try putting a small piece of tape on the back side, in hopes that this would put some downwards pressure and get better contact.

Don't know if PM sells any of the older style SIMS any more.

EDIT:  Just reviewed your pics, and it looks like a piece of tape won't help.  However, if you put a piece of folded paper or cardboard, it might help.  Anything to give added thickness.

Need Help? Let's chat.