cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM not working in new phone but worked on PM on older phone

k2much
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My daughter got her iPhone 6 wet and reverted back to using an older iphone 6 model A1549 but the SIM is not working.

On the top of the phone instead of Public Mobile, it says No Service.  Wifi works but no incoming or outgoing calls are possible (no data on this plan).

I checked that the phone works on the 3G PM network as well as LTE and am stumped on how to get it working for her.  I appreciate any advice.  

The SIM still works properly on the damaged phone so this is a phone issue, not a SIM card issue.

Thanks for the help!

11 REPLIES 11

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@k2much wrote:

On the top of the phone instead of Public Mobile, it says No Service.

Can you put it into Airplane mode for at least a minute, and then disable Airplane mode?  Upon doing so, does it at least show "Searching" for a period before showing "No Service"?

Do you have any other active SIM cards you can put into this iPhone to test?

@k2much wrote:

-reset Network Settings just in case something was wonky behind the scenes

-However, Network Settings now says UNAVAILABLE.  There is no option to choose a network setting.

So, you went through Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings, and entered the passcode (if applicable) and then confirmed and let it reboot?  Oddly, there've been reports of some problems needing this to be done a couple times, so that's worth a try.

What shows up under Settings --> General --> About?  In particular the Software Version and Carrier?

k2much

UPDATE:

-Confirmed phone is unlocked

-confirmed NOT in airplane mode

-reset Network Settings just in case something was wonky behind the scenes

-However, Network Settings now says UNAVAILABLE.  There is no option to choose a network setting.

Do you have any other thoughts?

If I can't figure this out, I will have to move to Rogers, where the phone originally came from.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I should know better than to walk around in the goofy morass of the Apple world. 🙂

@k2much wrote:

I’ll be honest: I don’t know how to check if it’s locked to a prior provider.  I bought it second hand and was told it was unlocked. Can you point me to a resource to verify that?

Usually, one method for checking the lock status of an iPhone device would be to connect it to your computer and load iTunes (with your Public Mobile sim card in the phone).   Wait for any on-screen iTunes messages about activation status and report back here with any message that it states.

@hairbag1 wrote:

Could the phone be locked to previous cell provider ? In which case, you'll need to contact them for an unlock code.

There's no such thing as an unlock code for any iPhone device. iPhones are locked to carriers using a different method, and that's why iPhones need to be "activated" with Apple before they can be used.  During this process, the phone's IMEI is checked with a database to see if the device is allowed to be used with that carrier or if it is already unlocked.

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi , is it possible the phone is in Airplane Mode?  Maybe verify the Network settings, that it is set to a 3g (HSPA) or LTE Auto setting. And reboot. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@k2much wrote:

I checked the additional link you provided and the IMEI checks out fine there too.

when I put the SIM in the other phone, it starts up normally, showing Public Mobile as the carrier in the upper left of the screen, and you can make and receive calls without a problem.

any other ideas on how to get it working?

thanks

Sorry. The other, other phone. 🙂

Good to hear about the other checker. Sometimes buying used can come up with surprises.

k2much

I checked the additional link you provided and the IMEI checks out fine there too.

when I put the SIM in the other phone, it starts up normally, showing Public Mobile as the carrier in the upper left of the screen, and you can make and receive calls without a problem.

any other ideas on how to get it working?

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@k2much wrote:

I’ll be honest: I don’t know how to check if it’s locked to a prior provider.  I bought it second hand and was told it was unlocked. Can you point me to a resource to verify that?

the IMEI is not reported lost or stolen.

For another IMEI check...go here.

When you insert the SIM into the other phone do you get any message?

k2much

the IMEI is not reported lost or stolen.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Could the phone be locked to previous cell provider ? In which case, you'll need to contact them for an unlock code.

Need Help? Let's chat.