cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM not valid

SHicks
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I just activated my son's SIM and migrated his number and when I put the SIM in the phone I'm getting a SIM error on his iPhone 6S.  

Any thoughts? Or help?

11 REPLIES 11

SHicks

Finally it works!!!!  Never did get the email from Bell Mobility that they said they'd send.   Was talking to my sister and she had unlocked a phone with Virgin (also Bell) and said it was up and running in a few hours.  So armed with that info,  I gave it a try.  And voila!  No more Bell and their stupid charging for all the incoming messages as well as the outgoing. 

Thanks again to everyone who replied.  You guys rock!

SHicks

No I didn't.  Couldn't get the teenager to part with the phone long enough to try.  Hopefully when he gets back, he'll let me.

@SHicks wrote:

So I'm still waiting to receive the email from Bell Mobility to confirm the unlocking of the phone.

Dude at Bell last night told me it can take from 4-24hrs.  Apparently they have to contact Apple who then does something and gets back to them who in turn send me an email and I then I'm good to go with the instructions... God forbid anything be simple.

So thankful that phone can no longer be locked.

Hope they get this released to you soon. Hear hear on no more locking phones!!

I understand they did admit it was locked; but, any chance you tried the SIM in another phone to see if you get the same message? I was just curious.

SHicks

So I'm still waiting to receive the email from Bell Mobility to confirm the unlocking of the phone.

Dude at Bell last night told me it can take from 4-24hrs.  Apparently they have to contact Apple who then does something and gets back to them who in turn send me an email and I then I'm good to go with the instructions... God forbid anything be simple.

So thankful that phone can no longer be locked.

SHicks

Turns out it was indeed locked to the former service provider.  I called them this morning and was told that the phone wasn't locked but clearly the CSR was mistaken.  Just just called back and this time got an amazing CSR (rare at Bell) and all has been taken care of.

Thanks for all the replies and all the help!  You guys are awesome.

Hi @SHicks ,

Apple info:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201420#:~:text=If%20you%20get%20an%20alert,the%20latest%20version%...

"If you get an alert that says Invalid SIM or No SIM Card installed, follow these steps.

1. Make sure that you have an active plan with your wireless carrier. 
  2. Update your iPhone or iPad to the latest version of iOS.
  3. Restart your iPhone or iPad.
  4. Check for a carrier settings update. Go to Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see a prompt to select OK or Update.
  5. Remove your SIM card from the SIM card tray and then put the SIM card back. Make sure that the SIM tray closes completely and isn’t loose. If you use a SIM tray from a different model iPhone, iPad, or from another phone manufacturer, it might not fit properly.
  6. Try using another SIM card. If you don't have one, go to your carrier's retail store and ask them to test with another SIM card. You might need to replace your SIM card."

@SHicks  if bell says it unlocked. Please plug the phone into iTunes to see if it pushes any updates and if it finalized the unlock.

Sometimes for older iPhones when an unlock is sent to the phone it requires that it be plugged into iTunes to finalize the unlock.

Let us know!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@SHicks wrote:

So I just activated my son's SIM and migrated his number and when I put the SIM in the phone I'm getting a SIM error on his iPhone 6S.  

Any thoughts? Or help?

@SHicks  It's possible that you son's iPhone is locked to the previous provider. If that is the case you need to call them provide the IMEI number and ask them to unlock it by having them send the unlock request to the Apple servers.

If you are porting your number into Public Mobile, for additional security, your previous service provider may also send a text or email to validate the transfer. Follow the instructions in the message within 90 minutes to approve the number transfer.

Tips:

• Keep the old account's device on with the SIM card inside to receive the validation message. If that’s not possible, please ensure you can access the SIM from a different device.
  • Be sure to check all texts and emails that could go to any other members on the old account and any junk or spam folders.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @SHicks ,

Do you have another phone you can test the Pubic Mobile SIM card in to see it if will work in another one or if you obtain a similar message?

If you do not get the same/similar message with another phone. Put the SIM back in the iphone6 and do a network reset.

Trying going into airplane mode for 5 minutes than turning it off.

If the SIM was not seated properly, you would receive an error also; try removing and re-inserting.

Restart your phone.

SHicks

I called Bell Mobility and they told me the phone was unlocked.  Guess I'll be calling them again.

Thanks

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

What exactly is the message you're getting?

Network locked?

The phone likely is still locked to the old provider that you got the phone from. You will have to contact them for the unlock code. Since it's an iPhone it's not actually an unlock code. But they'll send something to the phone to unlock it. 

Contact your old provider.

Need Help? Let's chat.