cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM not detected

RC888
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have two BlackBerry Leap phones - No. 1 is using Public Mobile (PM), and No. 2 is using Speakout. Last night, I tried to switch No. 2 phone to PM also, but my newly activated PM SIM card was not recognized, even though the cell phone is definitely unlocked. The settings show it is unlocked; I even called Speakout Customer Service to be sure. I think the SIM card could be defective, because it was only recognized sometimes when I tried it in the No. 1 PM BlackBerry. But it could also be a problem with No. 2 Speakout BlackBerry, because it also does not accept my PM SIM card from the No. 1 PM BlackBerry. I would prefer to not have to reset my No. 2 Speakout BlackBerry just to see if that will make it accept a PM SIM card. 

I have spent hours trying to fix this already - looking through the PM Community posts, the Internet, trying many different settings and ways, etc. I had messaged the PM Mods over 12 hours ago to ask for a new SIM card in case that may work, but haven't had a response yet. I thought I would also check here to see if anyone has suggestions. Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

RC888

Thanks again for the suggestions. I tried a few more of the things suggested above, plus looked through a few websites that the PM Mods sent me in their response this morning, but unfortunately nothing worked. I even reset the BlackBerry No. 2 to start from factory default, and it still didn't see the PM SIM. 7-Eleven Speakout said that using their SIM card (which works fine in this BlackBerry) will not lock a phone. And the phone shows every sign of being unlocked. So it's just a strange problem. I ended up putting the new PM SIM into a Motorola G4 Plus that we will now use, and it seems to be fine. Now I'm looking forward to the full Android experience.  🙂

@RC888It sounds like you might need to take Leap #2 in for some servicing at your local cell repair service to make sure the SIM slot is working perfectly before you want to continue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RC888 wrote:

Thanks everyone for your many replies and suggestions.

- the two phones are identical BlackBerry Leaps.

- unfortunately, I can't get into Network Technology or Network Selection Mode when there is no SIM card recognized - so I can't change any of those settings or do a search for available networks.

Ok. How about #2 with Speakout...set the networks to what I suggested and set to automatic. Then put the PM SIM in and see what happens.

RC888

Thanks everyone for your many replies and suggestions.

- the two phones are identical BlackBerry Leaps.

- unfortunately, I can't get into Network Technology or Network Selection Mode when there is no SIM card recognized - so I can't change any of those settings or do a search for available networks.

I'm not familiar with the phone(s) in the discussion here.  Are they identical model numbers?  Perhaps one (#2) isn't compatible with Public Mobile?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RC888 

Ok. My original Z10 with a suspended PM SIM.

Settings/Networks & Connections/Mobile Network/Network Technology - LTE/HSPA+/UMTS/GSM

Your could probably also do LTE/HSPA+/UMTS

Then in the same area - Network Selection Mode - try Manual and then let it scan. It'll take some moments to do that.

Where I am, in a rural area, I get Public Mobile 4G LTE,UMTS and Bell the same.

@RC888Another thing I would suggest to do, is to swap the card in question to a phone other than your 2 phones (eg friend's) as you mentioned not all of them are reading SIM consistently. You might want to rule that out.

It takes a lot of abuse electrically to make a SIM card unreadable.

@RC888 

Sim cards don't get defective often.  

Do you have another different mobile phone that you can try the #2 SIM card in?  Non blackberry phone?  

You don't need to do factory reset of your Blackberry #2, but maybe try a network reset?

Moderators will take time to get back to you and even if they authorize a new SIM card, it wil take several days to deliver to you via mail.  You will not get by Sunday when your Speakout account runs out.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RC888 wrote:

Thanks for your speedy reply. I did do the two-step method, and I have not tried to port my Speakout number over yet. But I will run out of Speakout time by this Sunday ...

For kicks, check #2 for networks and either manual or automatic network. Choose LTE/WCDMA/HSDPA/UMTS whatever they say (I don't have a SIM in either of my BB OS10's) and even do a manual scan for Public Mobile.

RC888

Thanks for your speedy reply. I did do the two-step method, and I have not tried to port my Speakout number over yet. But I will run out of Speakout time by this Sunday ...

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@RC888There isn't much you can do at this point other than to wait hopefully for just another 24 hours for the moderators to get back to you.

There are several factors at play.. it could be a provisioning / activating problem.. or it could ge a stuck port or just both. Did you do activation and porting all in one step? Next time I suggest do it as 2 seperate steps, make sure your new PM SIM is working properly before starting the porting procedure.

Since the phone is not the newest, try cleaning the electrical contacts of your SIM slot. If you have electrical contact cleaner.. give it a quick spray when the phone is OFF. Put in the SIM card when everything has dried.

Need Help? Let's chat.