cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM network unlock PIN

seallaibh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello All.

Last week I busted my phone.  Several people offered me recommendations about new phones for which I am most grateful.  My nephew made it a moot point yesterday by giving me second hand LG G5 he had with Fido.  The phone was purchased in 2018 a few months after my poor Umidigi, so it should be unlocked.  My PM sim card was only ever used in the Umidigi (came unlocked).   The phone wants a SIM network unlock PIN.  My nephew offered to call Fido to get the unlock code -- they won't give it to me bacause a) I'm not a customer and b) I'm not the original owner of the phone.  Anything else I shlould try?  I've already done a factory reset.

Seallaibh

5 REPLIES 5

seallaibh

Which really sticks in my craw, since it was sold several months after it became law that carriers had to sell phones unlocked.

@419mainstreet wrote:

Your nephew can actually find your PUK code when logged in to your My Account profile on Fido.ca.

You can find this under the My Fido Service column on the left hand side of the page, next to the Your Phone section.

Simply click the Retrieve your PUK Code link, select your phone number if you have multiple lines in the account, and press submit.

The member doesn't need the PUK code. While I don't have a access to a Fido self serve account, by the wording of "Retrieve your PUK Code", this isn't what the OP of the this message thread needs. The PUK i the Fido account would be a code for the Fido SIM card. @seallaibh  needs a code to unlock the phone.

Domerdi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there!

So I went through something similar with Rogers. Everyone who answered so far is right!

I just want to add that it is important that your nephew needs to either be an active Fido user or have closed his account within the last year, otherwise they will not unlock the phone for you!

Worst comes to worst, you can look into paying a web site to unlock the phone for you however I do not recommend this as some sites will try to scam you.

Good luck!

419mainstreet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Your nephew can actually find your PUK code when logged in to your My Account profile on Fido.ca.

You can find this under the My Fido Service column on the left hand side of the page, next to the Your Phone section.

Simply click the Retrieve your PUK Code link, select your phone number if you have multiple lines in the account, and press submit.

allison1

The fido account holder has to call fido and get the phone unlocked. I suggest taking your nephews offer of calling fido! 

Need Help? Let's chat.