cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM network unlock PIN

Daniellecsf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I see many people having this problem in the Community but so far, I haven't seen anyone with the same situation as me. 

I was with Rogers with a pre-paid plan and on an unlocked Samsung S4.

I'm still using the same S4 now that I activated my new Public mobile account and I also transferred my Rogers number to this new SIM card with Public mobile.

When I put the new SIM card in the S4, it's asking me for the SIM network unlock PIN. At first, I thought it was asking me to put the PIN that I added to my Public Mobile when I activated it but it kept saying "unsuccessful". I tried my old PIN from Rogers and it's still unsuccessful. 

Does anyone know what I should do? I sent a ticket to the moderator but waiting 48 hours to get a reply is quite long. Now I don't have any network to use. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

24 REPLIES 24

@Daniellecsf wrote:

The IMEI in About Phone and when I dialed *#06# actually matched, so I still don't know why Samsung didn't have them in their database.

I bought the unlocked S4 from a store and it was not a used phone. I still have the box with the IMEI number. I find it so strange that when I contacted Rogers, they said that I was not the "original owner"... this to me made me think that they consider original owners as those who bought from them? I'm not sure I understood. But anyway, how could Rogers lock a phone that was originally unlocked just by using their SIM card that's on a Pre-paid pay-as-you-go plan. 

While not impossible, phones do not usually relock themselves. I have seen one device that did it after every factory reset (it wouldn't allow you to use another carrier's SIM card until the network unlock code was entered). However, I will say that unless the SIM cards from differnt carriers were already tried in this device, I find it likely that the store that sold it to you was mistaken about the lock/unlock status. 

As for Rogers saying that you're not the original owners, that's liley because they have no record of you purchasing it from them.  As for them saying that the phone's IMEI isn't in the database, that's psosible, but highly unlilkely. Usually, it's very new devices that they don't have the unlock code for, but they can ALWAYS get the unlock code from the manufactuer. It just takes them longer.

@Anonymous 

Samsung cell phone most definitely do not (or at least should not) lock to each SIM card that is inserted.  Some phones sold by Samsung Canada do lock to the very first SIM card inserted. However, that is one time only. It does not lock to subsequent SIM cards after it has already been unlocked.  The part about Samsung phones doing strange things when changing to a different carrier's SIM card has to do with a factory reset, but that is not supposed to happen. Those oddities are software issues, but it is not across the board, nor is it ever supposed to happen. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Daniellecsf : There's some back and forth on this but I seem to think I've read that some Samsung's will lock to each SIM inserted. Unlock it. Insert another SIM. Locked. Something like that. Others have said that some Samsung's will do a full factory reset when a new SIM is inserted. So ... YMMV. 🙂

But this is where it's nice that Samsung has an unlock service. But why yours doesn't show up is a mystery. Would you be willing to post your baseband string?

And you bought it at a store in Canada and it was covered in English and French?

Mine's from "UAE". I had to choose English from Arabic or whatever it was. I bought and returned another one earlier in the summer that started out Spanish.

Daniellecsf

The IMEI in About Phone and when I dialed *#06# actually matched, so I still don't know why Samsung didn't have them in their database.

I bought the unlocked S4 from a store and it was not a used phone. I still have the box with the IMEI number. I find it so strange that when I contacted Rogers, they said that I was not the "original owner"... this to me made me think that they consider original owners as those who bought from them? I'm not sure I understood. But anyway, how could Rogers lock a phone that was originally unlocked just by using their SIM card that's on a Pre-paid pay-as-you-go plan. 

@Anonymous wrote:

The fact that the CRTC or CCTS can't or won't do anything about this appalling practice of these carriers only goes to show who is in their pockets.

No. The phone is locked to your network. Anybody should be able to ask to get it unlocked and at no charge. Blacklisted? Sure. Go away. Just don't abuse that either.

It stinks of corruption.

Banning the use of phones that have been reported lost or stolen sometimes benefits the carriers more than it does the consumer. Cells phones being so common now that there are many devices still in use that have practically no resale value.  If a thief sees that somene has a very expensive model, they'll still steal it and sell the used sreen as a repair part. The natiional lost/stolen database has essentially made many people afriad to by used, almost forcing consumers to buy new. The carriers and manufacturers want this.

As for the carrier not being able to find the unlock code, they have to get it done. I've read a few cases in which carriers have replaced devices because not being able to unlock or because of complaints about the way that carriers report devices as stolen (when it's suppsoed to be the customer that inititates this procedure). This is sometimes the result of a CCTS complaint being filed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The fact that the CRTC or CCTS can't or won't do anything about this appalling practice of these carriers only goes to show who is in their pockets.

No. The phone is locked to your network. Anybody should be able to ask to get it unlocked and at no charge. Blacklisted? Sure. Go away. Just don't abuse that either.

It stinks of corruption.

@norm2 wrote:

Regarding your comment that the S4 may be too old, Public Mobile under "get started" states an S4 will work.  Also, when I was having troubles with a locked non-Samsung phone, I tried my Public Mobile sim in an S4 and it worked.  It is nice to have a backup phone and I hope you can unlock your S4.

The issue wasnt' about compatibility, but as you know, with the inability to get an unlock code from the original carrier or from the manufacturer.  

When it comes to a locked phone working at Public Mobile, that would only be possible if the phone was locked to one of the Telus brands. If a phone is locked to Rogers (as an example), it isn't usable at Public Mobile until it gets unlocked.

norm2

Regarding your comment that the S4 may be too old, Public Mobile under "get started" states an S4 will work.  Also, when I was having troubles with a locked non-Samsung phone, I tried my Public Mobile sim in an S4 and it worked.  It is nice to have a backup phone and I hope you can unlock your S4.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Daniellecsf wrote:

@Anonymous Thanks for all your replies!

I got a new phone today and the new SIM card worked right away. I guess the S4 was too old... but I still wonder why Samsung couldn't find it in their database. 

You and me both. Oh well. All's well that ends well. Glad you got things sorted.

@Rosguru wrote:

If you press *#06# on the S4, you will see the IMEI.  

You can check it against the number you have.

Be aware that there are copycat phone makers who copy Samsung.  If that is the case then Samsung would not have that IMEI on their database.

That's true, but unless the IMEI was tampered with in the phone's software was tampered within, the device's IMEI would have to be in the manufactuer's databases since the phone is locked to Rogers. A clone device isn't going to be carrier locked.

Rosguru
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you press *#06# on the S4, you will see the IMEI.  

You can check it against the number you have.

Be aware that there are copycat phone makers who copy Samsung.  If that is the case then Samsung would not have that IMEI on their database.

@Daniellecsf wrote:

I got a new phone today and the new SIM card worked right away. I guess the S4 was too old... but I still wonder why Samsung couldn't find it in their database. 

There's a database somewhere that includes that IMEI and the associated unlock code.  Samsung knows the IMEI of every phone that they've ever made. Unfortunately, the requirement is on the carrier that it's locked to to give you the unlock code, in this case that being Rogers. 

Daniellecsf

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Daniellecsf : These SIM's are called tri-punch. If you have a phone with nano size SIM then you can carefully "punch" out the nano from the micro. Keep that little frame piece. Then put the nano carefully back in the micro frame.

Since you've been in About phone...post the full model number and then down in Software information (if you have it) post the Baseband version.

I'm quite surprised Samsung couldn't find the IMEI. (not baseband)

But if you have a phone on the way then maybe none of this matters...other than verifying that the account is done and ready to go.

Daniellecsf

@Anonymous I'm not sure where it originally came from, probably somewhere in Asia.

I see, about the IMEI. Thank you for the precision!:)

Unfortunately I don't have any other phone that takes Micro SIM so I couldn't try it in another phone. I just ordered a new phone (it was time to change one anyway since the S4) and hopefully it will work out.

Thanks for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Daniellecsf : Do you know where the phone originally came from? Or what market it's designated to? Mine's UAE of all places.

Oh ok...yes as I said, during transferring one of the fields is IMEI. It's really just an identifier. Of course all providers know what IMEI is on their network. But it's just for proof of you for transferring.

If you can try the PM SIM in another phone that would tell you that the account and number are done. Then you work on the phone. Or get another one. But Samsung really oughta be able to unlock for you. I wonder if you were to try Samsung out of that region wherever it might have come from. Maybe the Samsung Canada database doesn't know it.

@Daniellecsf wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I checked for the IMEI in About Phone and I gave the number to Samsung and the agent checked twice and it was not in their database. 

When I activated the SIM card and transferred the phone number from an old SIM card (second step of activating a new account), it asked for IMEI. So, I'm confused why they would ask for IMEI and why it affects my network in any way. 

I really want to know if I get a new phone, I will still have this problem of "network unlock PIN", given that they asked for the IMEI when I activated it. 

@Daniellecsf 

If you get a new unlocked phone (which most new phones are unlocked these days), you will not get the same problem.  

Daniellecsf

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I checked for the IMEI in About Phone and I gave the number to Samsung and the agent checked twice and it was not in their database. 

When I activated the SIM card and transferred the phone number from an old SIM card (second step of activating a new account), it asked for IMEI. So, I'm confused why they would ask for IMEI and why it affects my network in any way. 

I really want to know if I get a new phone, I will still have this problem of "network unlock PIN", given that they asked for the IMEI when I activated it. 

@Daniellecsf wrote:

Now, my question is: when I activated my Public Mobile SIM card, it asked for my IMEI of the S4, will the SIM card still work if I get a new phone with a different IMEI?

You can use any compatible unlocked phone that you wish. From what I recall, an IMEI doesn't need to be entered during activation, and that's only to run a compatibility check.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Daniellecsf : Are you sure you're not confusing between IMEI and SIM? Activating doesn't care about IMEI. Transferring number asks but I'm not sure it's required.

The IMEI of the phone is down in About phone. There's a dial code to get it as well.

Samsung really ought to have had the IMEI in their system. It's their phone for heavens sake.

Daniellecsf

Thank you to all of you for your reply.

I'm still having issues. I contacted Samsung and they couldn't help me because they couldn't find the IMEI in their database. 

I contacted Rogers and they also couldn't help because my S4 was not bought from them and it was not under a contract. The S4 was bought from a shop that sells unlocked phones, so Rogers mentioned that they can't help people who are not original owners. 

I was thinking of buying a code to unlock the network, but it costs $50. I think I'd rather buy a new mid-range phone, like the A71 (any opinion on this phone, by the way?).

Now, my question is: when I activated my Public Mobile SIM card, it asked for my IMEI of the S4, will the SIM card still work if I get a new phone with a different IMEI?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire
  1. Start a live chat session from Samsung'sContact Us page: http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170
  2. Inform the rep that you would like to unlock you S4 and provide the IMEI & Carrier info
  3. In a few (2+) days, you will get the unlock code via email.  

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Daniellecsf  Seems a predeliction for Samasung phones to relock. Try this link: https://chatbot.samsungcs-canada.com/chatbot?source=dotcom

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

Hi you need to contact Rogers your phone is not unlocked they will do it for you

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Daniellecsf  that message means your phone is locked to old provider.

No need to contact public mobile mods.

You have to call Rogers and ask for the unlock code for your phone.

Thankfully it's a Samsung. If you prefer you can try Samsung Canada Website and open a live chat with them and ask for the unlock code.

If you used a referral code for a $10 signup bonus that will be credited to your account within 72 hours of activation.

Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.