cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM network unlock PIN

thejacer87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hey @CS_Agent

i just changed phones and popped my SIM in, and was prompted with the SIM network unlock PIN. Tried 1234 and 0000 like the other threads say, but it was unsuccessful.

Any reason for it not to work? I popped the SIM card back into the iphone it was previously in before the switch and it worked just fine.

17 REPLIES 17

thejacer87

ya that must be what the customer service guys are doing.

from the thread you linked, looks like recovering my current lineage instal wont even work. gotta install fresh and not delete the cache.

my plan:
- revert to stock rom, wait for unlock code from rogers

- reinstall lineageOS (hopefully not overwrite the cache somehow)
- ???
- profit

@thejacer87 wrote:

k thanks, ill look it up

never done any custom rom stuff before, but i should be able to backup my current setup/settings etc. install stock rom, unlock SIM, then reinstall my current install, ya?

You should be able to assuming that the unlocking ability hasn't been locked out due too many unsuccessful attempts.  If that's the case, you'll have to get what is called a master unlock code that needs to be entered and accepted before you can re-attempt the regular network unlock again.

Here's a message thread where the person has confirmed that you cannot unlock a Galaxy S5 if you have a custom ROM installed:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lineage/help/tutorial-simunlock-galaxy-s5-lineageos-t3709688

thejacer87

k thanks, ill look it up

never done any custom rom stuff before, but i should be able to backup my current setup/settings etc. install stock rom, unlock SIM, then reinstall my current install, ya?

@thejacer87 wrote:

maybe thats it... definitely trying lineageOS for the first time... maybe thats the issue

although, pretty sure i nuked the stock android ROM. so i might be **bleep**ed then..

for those asking, its a galaxy s5

You should be able to use ODIN to install the factory image.

thejacer87

maybe thats it... definitely trying lineageOS for the first time... maybe thats the issue

although, pretty sure i nuked the stock android ROM. so i might be **bleep**ed then..

for those asking, its a galaxy s5

@thejacer87 wrote:

so i asked my buddy, said it was a rogers phone. contacted rogers and entered the code. said it was unsucessful.... did i brick it? does @CS_Agent need to unlock it now somehow?

edit: their support is sending a ticket up the chain, not sure what they can/will do though

There isn't anything that Moderator_Team can do or needs to do for you.  You've already said to us earlier that your Public Mobile sim card and service works fine.  This is a phone specific issue.   It is up to Rogers to get the network unlock code for you. This means that you were either given the wrong code, or that the wrong code was entered too many times.

On a side note, if the phone (if Android), some phones will not accept any network unlock codes unless the stock ROM (or a custom ROM based on stock ROM) is installed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@thejacer87 wrote:

so i asked my buddy, said it was a rogers phone. contacted rogers and entered the code. said it was unsucessful.... did i brick it? does @CS_Agent need to unlock it now somehow?

Not bricked. What make/model phone is it?

If Samsung, they can unlock it for you. No one here can do anything about it except offer ideas.

thejacer87

edit: their support is sending a ticket up the chain, not sure what they can/will do though

@thejacer87 wrote:

ya sorry, this is a second hand phone i got from a buddy. dunno who the carrier was, ill double check.

why would say, rogers, have to unlock the SIM though. or is "SIM network unlock PIN" not really descriptive?

Rogers doesn't unlock the sim. As I said earlier, that just the wording some device manufacturers use.  Rogers has to unlock the phone so that sim cards from other carriers can be used.

thejacer87

ya sorry, this is a second hand phone i got from a buddy. dunno who the carrier was, ill double check.

why would say, rogers, have to unlock the SIM though. or is "SIM network unlock PIN" not really descriptive?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

What is the new phone make and model. If it is a Samsung phone  from a retail store Costco staples etc they sometimes lock to the first sim entered. If this is the case contact Samsung support. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alex888 wrote:
@computergeek541He said that he changed phones, not providers.

Yes assumptions were made. We don't know the story of the phone he changed to.

@Alex888 wrote:
@computergeek541He said that he changed phones, not providers.

I realize that, but the phone is locked to a different provider.  SIM network unlock PIN is not the security PIN of a sim card but rather the unlock cdoe for the phone itself.  Unfortuantely, that's the wording that many phone manufactuers use.

@computergeek541 He said that he changed phones, not providers.

@Alex888 wrote:
You will need to contact a moderator for the code, you can send them a private message here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437.

Please realize that Public Mobile moderators cannot provide network unlock codes for phones from other providers.  The customer is going to have to contact the provider that the phone is locked to for a free unlock.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@thejacer87 wrote:

hey @CS_Agent

i just changed phones and popped my SIM in, and was prompted with the SIM network unlock PIN. Tried 1234 and 0000 like the other threads say, but it was unsuccessful.

Any reason for it not to work? I popped the SIM card back into the iphone it was previously in before the switch and it worked just fine.

I'd say the phone you changed to is locked to a previous provider. Ask them to provide you an unlock code. It's free. (in Canada with Canadian phones)

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
You will need to contact a moderator for the code, you can send them a private message here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437.
Need Help? Let's chat.