cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK.' Samsung A5

lomlow
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I entered the PIN I created when signing up for Public Mobile, didn't work. Now I have this error message. I contacted my old carrier (Virgin Mobile), Public Mobile & Samsung. I've used 7 of my (10?) uses before this SIM card is null and void. Setting up my Public Mobile account/SIM on my iPhone was headache but it wasn't this bad. I've been contacting three different companies all day, searching up articles, and I've still got an unusable phone because every single PUK I've been provided has been unsuccessful. I got a code from Virgin Mobile, I entered it twice incase I accidentally typed the wrong character on the first go around. I contacted Samsung, the PUK they gave me didn't work, told me to contact my carrier. I got two different PUKs from Public Mobile, neither worked.

This setup has been a hassle and I can confidently say I can never recommend Public Mobile to any of my friends, family, etc because they would've given up after half an hour because I've basically been chasing my tail around for hours and it's not like I'm 80 years old and don't understand technology. I use it every day and I understand it well. But this... this is just ridiculous.

13 REPLIES 13

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

PUK codes are used when you forget the PIN number that is associated with your SIM card. This PIN is not a number you made or received when setting up you Public Mobile account. It is not the secret account PIN, nor is it your voicemail PIN. You either can set the SIM PIN yourself...or chances are you still have the default SIM PIN on the card, which is probably 1234. Every SIM card from every carrier has a default SIM PIN that if you enter incorrectly a number of times will require you to obtain a PUK code to unlock from the carrier. IF you need a PUK code because you entered your SIM PIN incorrectly too many times, then contact a moderator by clicking the chat icon in the bottom-right of the public mobile website. This issue is not unique to Telus or Public Mobile, and chances are you would have run into this problem no matter what carrier you were using, since again, the SIM PIN has nothing to do with any account related PIN's.

@WoozyPolarBear 

From the title of this thread, the issue here isn't with the SIM card's security PIN or PUK. You're correct that this unrelated to any account PINs or passwords.

@lomlow 

I would use terms such as "carrier unlock code" and "master unlock code" when speaking to Virgin or Samsung.  Public Mobile cannot assist with this issue. I would avoid any mention of any type of "PUK" as this will likely confuse customer service about what you actually need.

@lomlow wrote:

I entered the PIN I created when signing up for Public Mobile, didn't work. Now I have this error message. I contacted my old carrier (Virgin Mobile), Public Mobile & Samsung. I've used 7 of my (10?) uses before this SIM card is null and void. Setting up my Public Mobile account/SIM on my iPhone was headache but it wasn't this bad. I've been contacting three different companies all day, searching up articles, and I've still got an unusable phone because every single PUK I've been provided has been unsuccessful. I got a code from Virgin Mobile, I entered it twice incase I accidentally typed the wrong character on the first go around. I contacted Samsung, the PUK they gave me didn't work, told me to contact my carrier. I got two different PUKs from Public Mobile, neither worked.

This setup has been a hassle and I can confidently say I can never recommend Public Mobile to any of my friends, family, etc because they would've given up after half an hour because I've basically been chasing my tail around for hours and it's not like I'm 80 years old and don't understand technology. I use it every day and I understand it well. But this... this is just ridiculous.

@lomlow @dabr 

Yes, the phone is locked to a different carrier. This is a certainty. As the SIM Network Unlock PIN was entered incorrectly, there are now two codes required to unlock this phone.

Hi @lomlow thank you for sharing your experience.  I hope it will help other fellow customers who have the same issue.

Have a nice weekend

RosieR

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@lomlow    Good job on finding the correct information to resolve your issue.  Your post will not get taken down or deleted, but unfortunately all posts/threads eventually get buried as newer posts get added from other customers looking for support.  However, maybe others may be able to search for either your post or the one you found.  There are probably many other threads on this topic too.

Anyway, welcome to PM.

@lomlow 

Bravo! Excellent post! I am sure this will help many in the future with the same problem. More amazing is that fido actually offered up some useful information for once. Great work on researching your issue and thank you for your contribution to the community!

lomlow

Firstly, I spent hours, contacting my old carrier, new carrier (Public Mobile, and Samsung. I got several different PUKs (PUK = MCK). You only get 10 uses before the SIM card is unusable. I didn't run into this issue at all setting up an iPhone, so it might be a Samsung issue.

I eventually found this FIDO post, which ended up solving my issue. So thank you Wolfwrx

I'm going to paste his message here, since it was so useful, and if I found it hours ago I wouldn't have wasted so much time and wouldn't have been so annoyed.

OK, here is the solution to this issue. I don't want anyone else to waste as much time as I have trying to resolve this problem, so if you need to unlock your Samsung phone, here's how. You will need the following codes:

1) The Master Code Key (MCK), also known as a DEFREEZE or UNFREEZE CODE and/or;

2) A Network Control Key (NCK) also known as an Network Unlocking Code (NUC). This is the main network unlocking code. 

Both of these codes can be obtained directly from Samsung via their live chat feature in a matter of minutes. Don't waste time trying to get them from your old/new service providers.

It's important to note that what Samsung handsets refer to as a "SIM Network PUK" is actually the Master Code Key (MCK). It's exactly the same thing and it seems a poor choice of terminology by Samsung has caused a lot of confusion and wasted time for numerous people. 

Instructions for unlocking. 

1. Power off your device and insert the SIM from your new service provider. 

2. Power on. If your device gives the following message you need to enter the MCK. "SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK." (See step 4 if your phone asks you for a SIM Network unlock PIN). 

3. Enter MCK. It will likely tell you the code was "unsuccessful" however disregard this. 

4. You should now be at a new screen which asks for the "SIM Network Unlock PIN." Enter the NCK here. Note you only get one chance to enter the NCK, so do NOT make a mistake. 

5. You should see a message saying "Network unlock successful." Your phone is now unlocked. 

I hope this helps. 

Link to thread: https://forums.fido.ca/t5/Phones-and-Devices/Samsung-SIM-Network-Unlock-Help/m-p/134969

I hope this thread doesn't get taken down despite me linking to them, because without it I would've never found a solution.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@lomlow    Sorry, I'm not sure if you are saying the phone is locked which would require either the previous provider (who you had your phone from) or Samsung to provide the phone unlock code.

I'm not sure why you are being asked for the PM SIM card unlock code as that would only be necessary to change the PIN on the SIM card.  The default PM SIM card code is 1234.

I think you need to contact moderators and ask for further help as to what is going on, click on the chatbot bubble bottom right of screen and follow prompts to submit a ticket or click the envelope icon (top right, next to your avatar) and send a private message to Moderator_Team for assistance if the ticket doesn't get submitted.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

PUK codes are used when you forget the PIN number that is associated with your SIM card. This PIN is not a number you made or received when setting up you Public Mobile account. It is not the secret account PIN, nor is it your voicemail PIN. You either can set the SIM PIN yourself...or chances are you still have the default SIM PIN on the card, which is probably 1234. Every SIM card from every carrier has a default SIM PIN that if you enter incorrectly a number of times will require you to obtain a PUK code to unlock from the carrier. IF you need a PUK code because you entered your SIM PIN incorrectly too many times, then contact a moderator by clicking the chat icon in the bottom-right of the public mobile website. This issue is not unique to Telus or Public Mobile, and chances are you would have run into this problem no matter what carrier you were using, since again, the SIM PIN has nothing to do with any account related PIN's.

@lomlow 

Don't despair....these things happen. Just keep an eye on your private message box for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Wait times are 1 to 2 hours lately so you should be hearing from them in the next little while.

lomlow

Well. This has been a miserable experience to say the least

lomlow

Alright, I contacted my previous carrier and they said I have successfully switched, and therefore need a PUK from Public Mobile. I sent a message to the moderator team, hopefully I'll get a quick and useful response.

Hello @lomlow 

Find you PUK: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/where-to-find-your-puk

“SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK." is asking for the phone’s (often Samsung) “master code" after entering the wrong code too many times. Samsung and/or your previous carrier can give you this.

"SIM network unlock PIN" is asking for your previous carrier's unlock code - just contact them with your IMEI (dial *#06# to get it) and they'll give it to you. If you enter this incorrectly too many times, you'll get the error message above.

“PIN unlock key (PUK)” is a SIM-specific code used to prevent unauthorised use of a SIM card. 

The PIN (Personal Identification Number) enables secure access to the SIM card and network. It is provided with your SIM card. 

• If the PIN code is entered incorrectly 3 times, the phone is locked (except for emergency calls) and requires a PUK (Personal Unlock Key) to reactivate it.
  • Once the PUK is recovered and validated, you will be asked to choose a new PIN.
  • Only Public Mobile's moderators can give you this type of code, which the device manufacturer cannot. Public Mobile's moderators can be contacted at the following address: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437
  • Caution! If the PUK is entered incorrectly ten times in a row, the SIM card becomes unusable.

lomlow

I activated a different phone the other week, and now I'm activating an account for a friend (this account). However, it hasn't been too sucessful. With my account I did it 5+ times and in the end had to choose 'use a different number', then contact a mod. However, this time it said it was successful, but now my phones asking for my PIN, however the PIN I used when making an account isn't working. I wrote down the number too, so I'm not just forgetting the number. It's asking for a PUK now, but I don't want to enter too many wrong codes and then get my SIM card unusable. Any help is appreciated.

Need Help? Let's chat.