cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM defaulted phone number after update

katebeau
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Back in December a software update managed to change the phone number set in my SIM card back to the one picked before I was able to port my number from Rogers. I can't edit the SIM in settings and I constantly have to manually change my phone number back to the right one in my texting app to avoid my conversations splitting. Is there any way I can fix the number set in my SIM without rooting my phone?

12 REPLIES 12

Thanks to give us a feedback with your problem @katebeau....welcome in public mobile!!

katebeau

Looks like a mod was just what I needed to fix it. They reset my connection to the network and the temporary number was banished. Still strange that removing and returning the SIM card didn't do it, but hey, what works works!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

katebeau

It's just strange because this wasn't a problem for the 2+ years of having this SIM card with the temporary number on it. I did contact mods to see if they can do anything à la network or new card solutions, but if I have to root my phone I'll take your suggestion!

@computergeek541 wrote:

@katebeau wrote:

Back in December a software update managed to change the phone number set in my SIM card back to the one picked before I was able to port my number from Rogers. I can't edit the SIM in settings and I constantly have to manually change my phone number back to the right one in my texting app to avoid my conversations splitting. Is there any way I can fix the number set in my SIM without rooting my phone?

Some older Blackberry devices use to let you change this. Keep in mind that no matter what phone number is displayed on the screen, this is mostly a cosmetic issue and usually does not affect services. 

I remember back when I was with a different carrier, they would never update the temporary phone number issued during activation if you were porting in a phone number.  The wrong phone number would be saved on the sim card, but it actually made no difference.

Since you say you have ported in a different number, I do not believe this is something Public Mobile can help  you with.  The number saved in the sim card is supposed to match up with the one that you are using (the number from Rogers that you had ported in).

+1.  This has been my experience with numerous android devices.  Sometimes a SIM would provision in such a way that the SIM status tab would return an unknown number or some kind of garbage.  A week ago, I activated a couple of new tablet lines where the proper phone number shows up in the SIM status tab for one line and not the other.  Activation was done at the same store by the same agent.  Invariably, when a number change is registered with the carrier, I won't be able to get a reliable number registering in the SIM status tab.  These concerns have never resulted in any kind of impact to the service.  What matters is the number showing in the actual account. 

With respect to SIM edits, rooting the phone is the only way I know how to edit the phone number data field on the SIM card.  My go to app is an xposed framework module "phone number fix". 

@Alex888 wrote:
The update may have introduced a bug, have you tried to roll back the update?

Not too many OSs allow roll back these days.  It is to prevent from exploiting known vulnerabilities. 

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
The update may have introduced a bug, have you tried to roll back the update?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

I guessing as have never heard of anything like this except for iPhones. Anyway, I suggest you confirm the phone number registered in your self serve account is correct. If so, try swapping out the current SIM with a new one. When it's registered to your account the correct phone number should then be associated with the new SIM. I think.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@katebeau wrote:

Some older Blackberry devices use to let you change this. Keep in mind that no matter what phone number is displayed on the screen, this is mostly a cosmetic issue and usually does not affect services. 

I remember back when I was with a different carrier, they would never update the temporary phone number issued during activation if you were porting in a phone number.  The wrong phone number would be saved on the sim card, but it actually made no difference.

Since you say you have ported in a different number, I do not believe this is something Public Mobile can help  you with.  The number saved in the sim card is supposed to match up with the one that you are using (the number from Rogers that you had ported in).

If it's something with the port of your number you will need to contact the moderator_team...click on the envelopp right up on this page...new private message and write the name moderator_team and it will appear...explanation of what happened...and wait 1 or 2 days.. @katebeau they will reply and help you with your problem.

Gregmt
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What number is working for people to call you on? The number you ported or the other one which now shows up since the update? 

katebeau

Tried both, no go. It's like my number just needs to be ported again or something.

Gregmt
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would try taking the SIM out. Rebooting the phone and inserting the SIM once again. If that didn't work the second thing I would try is factory resetting the phone. 

Cheers. 

Need Help? Let's chat.