cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM cards problem with Motorola V551

balanovich
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

I've been a customer for a while. Everything works with my galaxy S3.

I bought a used unlocked Motorola V551. Checked the IMEI number with public mobile and they say my phone is compatible and not stolen. I put my sim card in it and I cant find the Public Mobile Network. I only see the Rogers network. I should see 4, Telus being the right one.

I check the specs of the V551. It's a GSM QUAD band. I bought it in the city where i reside (Montreal).

I want to use an old phot and a Dock-n-talk to replace a home phone line. For it to work the way I want, i need a compatible cellphone

29 REPLIES 29

Chad
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Wow... Just Wow.

bcnadon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
OK it doesn't seem like anyone is actually answering your question so I'll give it a shot.

From (quickly) looking at the list of compatible phones the simple answer is none of them are. I didn't look at the specs for all of them but I did recognize most of them and they all seem to be older (1G/2G/2.5G) phones. Telus (PM) GSM network started at 3G. The only carrier that can use it is Rogers/Fido. For what you want to use it for your best bet would be to go get a Chatr (Rogers version of PM) SIM.

Hope this helps

David
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Wow, great reply and an even better comeback.

You're welcome.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
^You obviously don't understand but that fine

David

@chukdefatey

A frequency is a frequency, whatever it's used for. I didn't invent this stuff, neither did you. Carriers use said freqs to transmit whatever they need to. In our localized case, 2100MHz is used to transmit data back to your phone when using LTE on the Telus network.

If you remove the 2100 freq entirely from a phone, it won't work at all in most of Europe and will not get LTE service here on Telus.

Do not confuse freqs and bands. Bands are ranges of frequencies. Band IV is a range, 1700MHz is a freq.

There is this, though:  most times, when reading a phone's list of operating frequencies, they'll intentionally leave out 2100MHz even if the phone supports 1700MHz.  It doesn't mean the phone doesn't need it, it's just not listed.  But it IS there and IS required (for 3G AWS and/or LTE on Telus).

chukdefatey
@David, 2100Mhz Band is a completely different band then the AWS band IV 1700Mhz even though AWS Band IV uses 2100 MHz with in the band but it's completly different from the actual 2100 Mhz Band. So for one million times the actual 2100 MHz band is not USED by any carrier in Canada or the United States.

David

Yes. Actually, from the user's standpoint, HSPA and UMTS are the same, so some websites will say HSPA, some will say UMTS and some will even say WCDMA (not to be confused with CDMA).

Generally speaking, though, it's used like this:
1) HSPA designates speeds up to 21Mbps on 3G
2) HSPA+ designates speeds up to 42Mbps on 3G

HSPA+ is sometimes called 3.5G and some even call it 4G (for more confusion) while most people seem to use the 4G moniker to designate LTE.

In any case, UMTS, HSPA, any will work for you on PM.

balanovich

Ok thanks.

One last detail. As far as HSPA and UMTS goes, either is good right ? HSPA is the improved but backward compatible standard. PM network does both, being only UMTS instead of HSPA will only mean less speed, correct ?

David
PM (Telus) uses 850 and 1900 for their 3G network.

They also use 1700 for their LTE network.

If you spot a phone that has the same description as the line you just posted, it will work without issue.

balanovich

I'm sorry David, but you haven't cleared things for me. As I read you, 2100MHz is not used by PM. But, i found this:

http://www.gsmarena.com/network-bands.php3?sCountry=CANADA

3G: UMTS 850, UMTS 1700, UMTS 1900, UMTS 2100

So wich frequency uses PM ?

David

@balanovich wrote:

I have a galaxy S3. I'm looking for an old phone for a specific need.

I need a phone that will work with PM and can be plugged in a dalk-n-talk station. Here is a list of compatible cellphones with the dock-n-talk:

http://www.phonelabs.com/prd_withcable01.asp

I then need to find one for sale.

I finally contacted PM. Hopefully I will get the exact, specif criterias to look for in a phone.

Any SIM-enabled Galaxy S3 bought in North America will work on PM.

There are 2 HSPA models:

1) SGH-i747 / SGH-i747M (sold on the Big3+flankers here in Canada + AT&T in the USA)

2) SGH-T999 / SGH-T999V (sold at Wind/Mobi/Eastlink/Videotron + T-Mobile in the USA)

First model will give you LTE on Public Mobile.  Second one will work without issues, but in 3G only. There are modem mods you can do to make your T999 work with LTE here, but I'm not going to make a tuto on this since these mods can result into bricking in the wrong hands.

PSA:  I'm leaving Verizon's and Sprint's models out of this for obvious reasons.

Fun fact:  Canadian variants (i747M and T999V) were sought after by American tinkerers for their unlocked bootloaders (which makes flashing ROMs and custom recoveries possible without first using an exploit).  Because of this, back in 2012, Canadian S3s on eBay sold for much higher prices than their US counterparts!

David

Here's a bit of info about 2100MHz...

In North American, what we call AWS (Wind/Mobilicity/Eastlink/Videotron for 3G HSPA) uses a combination of 1700MHz and 2100MHz.  Specifically, 1700MHz is used for upstream communications (from your phone to your carrier's towers) and 2100MHz is used for downstream communications (from towers to your phone).  Remember that this is for 3G HSPA service.  Carriers that use AWS for their LTE networks (like Telus) likely work differently.

Although 2100MHz is MUCH MUCH MUCH more widespread throughout Europe, it also doesn't mean it's not used at all on North American carriers, even if not in the same fashion.

Hope it clears that up for everyone!

Cheers!

balanovich

I have a galaxy S3. I'm looking for an old phone for a specific need.

I need a phone that will work with PM and can be plugged in a dalk-n-talk station. Here is a list of compatible cellphones with the dock-n-talk:

http://www.phonelabs.com/prd_withcable01.asp

I then need to find one for sale.

I finally contacted PM. Hopefully I will get the exact, specif criterias to look for in a phone.

my god, the battle of the smarts. Wiki must be really happy, PM, if your reading, this is a kodak moment. 

chukdefatey
All Sim cards phones from Telus, Koodo, bell, virgin will work and almost all phones since about 2008 to about 2010 from Rogers and Fido will work and every phone after 2010 from Rogers and Fido will work.

Any new current generation Smartphones from wind will also work.

balanovich

Ok ...

So how the F*** am supposed to know what phone will work ?

I've looked around and I can't say wether  Martin or chuck is right.

How can I verify is a model will work? I assumed giving the IMEI (therefor very complete and detailed info about the phone) to PM would certain enough.

I tried to mention that problem to PM, but their "contact US" process didn't work !

How can I get thru to PM?

chukdefatey
@You and wiki can beg differ all you want, 2100 Mhz Band is not used or available in Canada or the US.

Having said that band iv 1700Mhz uses 2100Mhz but that is different from the actual band of 2100Mhz

Martin
Legend
Legend
I beg to differ. Check the Wikipedia article on Bell. It clearly makes reference to the frequencies that I posted above.

chukdefatey
@Martin, Please don't provide info that you are not sure of. Band 2100Mhz is not used by any Provider in Canada or the US. The Phone that he Provided a link for will not work on a 3G network with any Provider in Canada or the US.

Major older Cell Phone Provider Run there 3G or so called 4G on 850 and 1900 MHz and the new entranants that bought cell Spectrum in 2008 Run 3G or so called 4G on 1700Mhz Band.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Look for a phone that has UMTS technology, and operates on 3G 850 and 1900. For 4G, look for 1700. If 1700 is present, so is 2100.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Yes, 2100 MHz is used by PM, but the phone requires 850 and 1900 as a minimum.

The phone is therefore incompatible with PM's network.

balanovich

So... would this phone be compatible?

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_z800-1042.php

It is 3G UMTS @ 2100

is the 2100 band used by public mobile?

chukdefatey
@OP, PM's imei checker is not to tell you if your phone has been reported lost or stolen. It would have no way of knowing that info.

Imei checker of public mobile is simply a very basic tool to tell you if your phone is compatible or not. Its not 100% accurate.

Your phone runs on an older 2G technology, which only Rogers uses

benwarez
IMEI compatibility on PM site is not 100% accurate

balanovich

So I check a IMEI number on PM. PM assures me that it is not only not stolen, but compatible with PM. And that was not true ?

I'm pissed!

Martin
Legend
Legend
*PM employs should be PM phones employ

benwarez

Martin is correct, UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications Service) is designed for 3G, and
EDGE (Enhanced Data for GSM Evolution) was designed for 2.5G, my guess, is that your phone will work only on Rogers Network

Martin
Legend
Legend
The above phone uses EDGE technology from 2004, whereas PM employs UMTS technology.
Accordingly, your phone is incompatible with PM's network.

benwarez
Motorola V551 is designed to work on frequencies: 850/1900 MHz/, same as PM is using
Need Help? Let's chat.