cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card

Timmy2021
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

does the SIM card has to be issued by the carrier with special instruction to make the phone work?

144 REPLIES 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 : You will not be charged extra. Can you give a link of the 611 manual you mention?

They never added the $5 add-on to the 611 menu. Then they changed things up and now it's only the US 1000 minute add-on even though it seems to say international but it won't go through for that.

Edit: you can't escape taxes. Yes. Autopay will be charged when there isn't sufficient funds in the Available Funds. What funds there might be...it will charge the payment card only what it needs to pay for the plan.

Timmy2021

z10user4, I have just successfully bought $5 for 500 minutes canadian calls in My Account, now I can make local calls, it is uncertain what number is long distance calls, if it is, will I be charged extra? my account balance is now $37.

I hope PM will overhaul its *611 manual to include clearly stated "Canada Wide calls" add on. 

Since I have enrolled in auto prepaid, so I don't have to do anything, the monthly fee will be charged automatically from my credit card? When I made the payment from credit card there is a tax charged, why?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 : I've read of many success stories of goodwill from the CSA's. (if they answer 🙂 )

So you found the third add-on?

Do you see the line in your counters about the 100 minutes? If you don't see it then you did indeed use them all. This is where that $5 add-on is excellent for this plan. But it's only purchasable in the self-serve.

Timmy2021

Yes, I am on the $15 plan just for now. Now I know what roaming means.  My plan page shows the $15 add on has gone to US roaming, Add for US roaming expires in 10 days, plus the $8 I chose for US roaming, so I have lost $23 for nothing, I guess I have to to pay to learn from my mistake of making uncertain random Add On choice. No big deal, losing $23 won't bankrupt me but it creates a bad dent in PM's incompetent and ambiguous operating system.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 : The other add-on you bought will appear after you click Plan Details. That will be where your other expenditure went. The overview page list are _countable_ add-ons. The roaming calling/texting are not countable.

You will need to contact the CSA's to beg and plead to credit you back and remove those add-ons. They have no obligation to and so it would all be goodwill. Be nice.

You can dial local-to-you numbers without the 1. Anything else would need the 1.

Are you on the $15 plan?

@Timmy2021 wrote:

If US roaming cannot be used in Canada, why does such choice even show up in *611 ? And why it is not replace by "Canadian roaming" ?  What is the choice "long distance" about? I paid $15 for that "long distance" add on but it does not show up in my account and I still cannot make a local call because the message said "sorry the call cannot be completed because you have used up all your available minutes".  There is serious fault and flaw in the PM's system.

There's no such thing as roamng in Canada at Public Mobile. Travelling from one province to another isn't considered roaming. Roaming is only something that happens while you're connected to another carrier's network.  Public Mobile has a network accross Canada.   The U.S. roaming option is available so that customers can use it while travelling in the U.S.

Timmy2021

If US roaming cannot be used in Canada, why does such choice even show up in *611 ? And why it is not replace by "Canadian roaming" ?  What is the choice "long distance" about? I paid $15 for that "long distance" add on but it does not show up in my account and I still cannot make a local call because the message said "sorry the call cannot be completed because you have used up all your available minutes".  There is serious fault and flaw in the PM's system.

Timmy2021

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE $15 ADD ON PURCHASE FOR "LONG DISTANCE" ADD ON THROUGH *611, THERE IS NO RECORD IN MY ADD ON PURCHASE RECORD !

@Timmy2021 wrote:

I don't need to add 1 prefix to the phone numbers, I had been calling those numbers without the 1 prefix. 

Yes, my account shows the add on I have purchased:

- 1000 minute US long distance minutes, minutes remaining: 1000 minutes.

- 200 MB add on: Used 67.986 MB 

But there is no record of the $15 I paid for the "long distance option" choice in *611.  Does that mean I have lost $15 for nothing? My account balance now shows $42.  ($70 - $8 US roaming - $5 for 200 MB data - $15 for long distance )

Can I cancel the US roaming and transfer the $8 to local canadian calls?

Add-ons are non-refundable. US roaming can't be used when you're in Canada.

Timmy2021

I don't need to add 1 prefix to the phone numbers, I had been calling those numbers without the 1 prefix. 

Yes, my account shows the add on I have purchased:

- 1000 minute US long distance minutes, minutes remaining: 1000 minutes.

- 200 MB add on: Used 67.986 MB 

But there is no record of the $15 I paid for the "long distance option" choice in *611.  Does that mean I have lost $15 for nothing? My account balance now shows $42.  ($70 - $8 US roaming - $5 for 200 MB data - $15 for long distance )

Can I cancel the US roaming and transfer the $8 to local canadian calls?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 : Can you answer the couple other questions or use suggestions?

Timmy2021

Hey guys, as I said I am in the process of moving my residence, so I have no access to internet or home phone and rely only on my Samsung galaxy A01 phone but I am still a beginner in the cell phone contraption and don't know how to navigage the PM's prompt system so I could only follow the instruction in *611,  First the message said I had only $10 balance not sufficient to buy add on, then after making $60 payment, I could purchase add on but I was baffled by the absence of the choice "buy canadian local call add on" so I wasted much money in guessing other options, I don't think I will ever need to make a call to US.  Now my internet and home phone has been installed so I can communicate with you guys again. Of course I have access to my Self-Serve account, I have already enrolled in monthly prepaid option. Let me go into my account and see if I can remedy the situation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 : Good grief! That's a lot of flailing around. The only in-Canada add-on you can buy in the 611 service is the US calling.

The only way to buy the $5 Canada calling is the self-serve.

If you're on the $15 plan it's a great add-on.

If you're not then you have a different problem. Are you adding the 1 in front of the 10 digits? Are you calling a Canadian number?

You added funds but you need to buy the add-on by adding it to your account.

To purchase an Add-On using this method, you will need to have a payment card registered to your account. Find out how to register your card in Self-Serve here. Dial *611 on your phone, and follow the prompts to first make a payment using a Public Mobile payment voucher, credit card, or Visa Debit card. After adding funds equal to or greater than the Add-On you wish to purchase, follow the prompts to buy an Add-On. You will need your 4-digit account PIN to purchase an Add-On. You selected your PIN when you activated your account.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Timmy2021 

Do you have access online to your Self Serve account portal?  It's easier than navigating the phone menu.  Once logged in, you can check what Add-ons you do or don't actually have.

Buying Add-Ons is a two-step process as you discovered: Top up Balance, then Buy Add-On.  The Add-on should be activated right away.  This will be listed under "My Data & Add-ons" on the main page.

Side suggestion - you can start your own thread with your issues as it will be easire to spot and help.  🙂

Timmy2021

Hi, guys, I am baffled by PM's add-on purchase through the cell phone, I tried to buy add on minute for Canadian local call as the message said: "sorry the call cannot be completed as you have used up all your allowable minutes".  When I dial *611 to buy add on minutes, I was given a several choices: Long distance, data, US roaming,.The message said there was only $10 balance in my account, not sufficient, so I made $60 payment from my credit card to my account then my account balance became $70. Since there is no choice for Canadian local minute add on minute, so I randomly picked "long distance" option and paid $15 for 100 minutes but the same message "sorry the call cannot be completed as you have used up all your allowable minutes", I was baffled by the uncertainty then bought data add on, but the same message appeared. Then I bought US roaming add on but the same message appeared, So far my balance of $70 has been reduced to $42 and I still cannot make a local call.  Please help. 

@Timmy2021 

You can always contact the BBB (Better Business Bureau).

Timmy2021

Have a nice weekend everyone, I'll be busy packing and moving to another residence in Mississauga, Ontario next week and will be back to learn how to send text with my Samsung Galaxy A01, it is not as easy as the tutorial shown in Youtube.  

After you referred someone, you will see an entry as  Refer-a-Friend Reward.  (if you are lucky, you might even get an SMS about a new referral, but that text is buggy)

Also, your Community Reward changes based on your participation (and a secret PM forumula that no one knows).  With your participation so far this month, I think you will very likely get a $2 rewards.  And it's not the end of the month  yet, maybe even $5  🙂

@Timmy2021 wrote:

How does PM know I have referred PM to other new subscribers? So if I do I'll receive $1 per month or $12 per year? How do I get $20 in the asking questions and in helping out others?

In self service there is a unique referral code you can give to your friends. As long as your friend’s account is active you will receive $1 off at renewal. The more friends that use your code, the more you get off at renewal.

The $20 community reward is only given to the Oracles.

E4D83AB4-8663-4125-873A-57B9F6A12EE4.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 : You give your referral code to someone else to use during activation. That code is in the box in the upper right below the account number and such.

Yes you'll get a $1 per referral up to about $110 or so...per term.

The $20 is a marketing misnomer. Only invited customers get that. They're called Oracles. Generally having to be here for a while and be a high producer...and want it.

It's a fixed amount too. It doesn't fluctuate like the lesser rewards depending on all the variables.

Timmy2021

How does PM know I have referred PM to other new subscribers? So if I do I'll receive $1 per month or $12 per year? How do I get $20 in the asking questions and in helping out others?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 : Maybe vary isn't the right word. It _can_. Your activity here might get you a reward. Your autopay toggled on will get $2. If you refer anybody then you get a $1 per. After a year you'll get a $1 (up to 5 years $5).

Add-ons are for additional features beyond what your plan has. Your plan has Canada-wide calling. If you wish to call outside the country (other than the $50/$70 plans) then you buy add-ons. If you wish to have some data available beyond your plan then you buy add-ons. If you wish to have service in the states then you buy 10 day roaming add-ons.

All except the last are buy once and consume over time. This place and Koodo are the only ones that do that. All others expire or renew each term/month.

Timmy2021

@Anonymous   Yes, I have set up autopay, so the amount charged to the credit card varies from month to month depending on the balance in my account?  What is Add-On?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 : Congrats on getting your self-serve going. Having fun yet? I'm guessing that $10 is from a referral code used at activation.

Plans here are 30 days (not monthly. Don't confuse that). This place is a prepaid service (not pay as you go. Don't confuse that too) so if you don't pre-pay then the service stops.

At the top of your self-serve page you'll see the pay before date line. That's your next renewal day. Pay before that up to 11:59pm ET (everything runs on ET around here) of the day before.

That $10 will be used first for your renewal making your additional payment required that much less than your plan cost.

Did you set up a payment card and also autopay? It's a free 2 bucks that reduces your plan cost at renewal.

Timmy2021

Ha,ha, I got registered. Fund available: $10. This Public Mobile is getting interesting!  Is the subscription good for one year, when is the renewal date, what if I miss the renewal date? 

@Timmy2021 

You probably have too many apps open or pages, tabs...close them off and shut your phone off put it somewhere cool as the ambient temperature from the heat dome is probably not helping Read more here.....also go to settings>>device maintenance>>optimize.

.https://howto-android.com/how-to-fix-samsung-galaxy-a01-overheating-issues/

Don't have too many apps open at the same time.Don't have too many apps open at the same time.

Timmy2021

Totally chaotic, sometimes the keyboard shows up, originally it showed a box for phone number, now it has changed to Select Recipient, so I need to have a list of recipients only to whom I can send? It does not make sense.  Then suddenly it changes screen or turns off. Very frustrating.  Its getting hot, may be the battery is draining too, I have to leave it to other days.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 : Do you have the blue texting icon to start? Then when it's open do you see the little blue icon in the lower right? Then do you see a blank grey box to the left of an arrow kind of thing? Then if you tap in that grey box does the keyboard come up?

Or do you see a Recipient area up top? Can you tap on it? Does the keyboard come up?

Timmy2021

I posted earlier that I can send message from my PC to my cell phone by typing my phone number followed by @mms.mb.telus.com  But only some messages go through and it takes a long time, like 10 minutes. 

Mustaqueem of Canadian Cell Supplies sent me several emails, they were all received.  

But I have hard time sending out message from my cell phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.