cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card question

Minniepin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just bought a Telus prepaid cellphone but I am activating the cellphone to public mobile. You can't just use the SIM card that is providing I the box when purchased. You can't just switch it from Telus to Public mobile?

12 REPLIES 12

april_h30

@Minniepin 

To use the Public Mobile network, you have to purchase a SIM card directly from their website or visit a store that carries their SIM cards. Although Public Mobile uses the Telus cell towers, they are 2 separate companies. 

When ordering the SIM card online, the shipping is paid for and it is sent by Expresspost. 

If you would rather go to a store, you can check the map and it show you who carries the Public Mobile SIM cards. Scroll down to the bottom of the website and there are two links on how to purchase the SIM cards. Hope this helps! 🙂Screenshot_20191226_105734.jpg

@waldem88 wrote:

Hello,o

If you bought cellphone from Telus with prepaid plan then its SIM will work only with Telus (need to buy Public Mobile SIM), also you may need to unlock the phone from Telus,

and make sure it is going to work on PM bands first !

It has the right bands. Telus own Public and the same network is used.

waldem88
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,o

If you bought cellphone from Telus with prepaid plan then its SIM will work only with Telus (need to buy Public Mobile SIM), also you may need to unlock the phone from Telus,

and make sure it is going to work on PM bands first !

@Mitch1  Yes a new phone would not be locked. If your phone is older and locked with telus (smart to unlock it anyways) it is not necessary as locked phones from telus and koodo are all on the same network and owned by telus( telus/koodo/pm.)

Mitch1

Walmart sells the public mobile sim card. Same with Amazon and the new public mobile kiosks . 

To answer your question no you can't use the sim card that came with your Telus phone. Furthermore the prepaid phone might be "carrier locked" although since you bought the phone outright it shouldn't be carrier locked . If so you need to unlock it with an unlock code from Telus or an online unlocking service. 

But to solve your problem about the sim card you need to buy a public mobile sim card and insert it into your phone, along with signing up online .

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

A phone could be purchased from any retailer but a PM sim card would be needed to activate the phone on this network.

Fluidmax

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Fluidmax wrote:

You "need" to get a Public mobile sim if you want to go with Public Mobile, Even though Telus owns Public Mobile, they are 2 seperate Service provider. Your phone however should work on both networks.

Unless the device has been sitting on the retailer's shelf for more than a couple of years, the device would already be unlocked, regardless. You're right about the sim card: It can only be used at Telus Mobility.

I believe even if the phone is locked to telus, it would work with Public Mobile. I have a phone (pre CRTC ruling about unlocking) lock to telus (never unlocked)and working on Public Mobile.

@Fluidmax wrote:

You "need" to get a Public mobile sim if you want to go with Public Mobile, Even though Telus owns Public Mobile, they are 2 seperate Service provider. Your phone however should work on both networks.

Unless the device has been sitting on the retailer's shelf for more than a couple of years, the device would already be unlocked, regardless. You're right about the sim card: It can only be used at Telus Mobility.

Fluidmax

@Minniepin wrote:

I just bought a Telus prepaid cellphone but I am activating the cellphone to public mobile. You can't just use the SIM card that is providing I the box when purchased. You can't just switch it from Telus to Public mobile?

@MinniepinIf you get your service activated today before 11:59pm et you'll be able to claim the free holiday 1gb data add on and 400 international minutes add on when you set up and log in to your self serve account. Do you have a public mobile SIM card already?

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but if you have a Telus prepaid phone, and an ACTIVATED Public Mobile SIM, yes you should be able to connect to Public Mobile. If your still not running, share some more info and we'll try to get you there. 

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Minniepin you have to purchase a public mobile Sim card and activate it and then it will work with that Telus phone.   Don't forget a refferal code to get a 10$ credit on your new activation and also right now you get your 2nd month free 

Need Help? Let's chat.