cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card not supported after upgrading to new phone

berkkl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Bought refurbished iPhone from Public Mobile and trying to reuse my existing SIM (also with Public Mobile) but get error message SIM not supported.

22 REPLIES 22

I have a feeling Telus/Koodo/PM source the phone from a 3rd party, a shop that sells compatible unlocked phones to ANY carrier, not just Telus family.  The "Certified" part just meant this business certifying the phones are good and wiped and clean... not necessary mean certified for Telus.  Of course, shop like this could make mistakes.. forgot to wipe it clean, technically and physically.. little things like this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : My cynicism took over on my thoughts of this. Or simply marketing-speak. Yup...it's pre-owned alright. We certify this is not NIB.

@J_PM 

This brings up an interesting point.....as the general assumption has been that pm's CPU phones have come from telus and koodo as trade up, buyers remorse or open box phones that are then tested, repaired and/or refurbished and then certified for resale. So how does a locked phone from another provider become available for sale on the pm website? 

It obviously has not been certified. Does pm source phones from other providers? Since it is locked I will assume it's an apple device....the only phones for sale that could be 4+ years old to still be locked to a carrier. How did it not get tested and certified? Or did it get returned by a sneaky buyer who switched phones with a locked device? Does pm not recertify returned or exchanged devices?

This is not the first anomaly reported. Recently there was a Google Pixel 5 with the original owners google account still attached to it. These type of mistakes should not happen. How many other phones have been returned to pm under these conditions that have not been reported in the community? Public Mobile needs to review both its certification process and how it inspects and certifies returned or exchanged phones.

If fraudsters/scammers have discovered a loophole in pm's 30 day money back guarantee to return for refund phones that are not the original product it can cause a hit to the bottom line affecting not only the price pm charges for CPU phones but prices in general. It also erodes customer"s confidence in purchasing a device itself from pm.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@berkkl wrote:

Bought refurbished iPhone from Public Mobile and trying to reuse my existing SIM (also with Public Mobile) but get error message SIM not supported.

@berkkl  This phone is locked a non-Telus carier, and so was not properly formatted for resale. Return it for a refund.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Without too many arguments, OP should contact CSA ASAP to resolve this issue.

- OP is current PM customer.

- OPP bought phone from PM and phone should be unlocked AND it should work with PM SIM.

- Phone appears to be locked. PM has to resolve this as sold merchandise is not working as advertised: unlocking it or sending a new one.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@berkkl 

Have a read thru this thread by @CalgaryBen  it should get you to where you need to go....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323118#M24562

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

i do agree with you if that device from Telus/Koodo/Public, is will be working but that device maybe has a issue and them have to contact CSA, to fix or return to PM. so how is the answer wasn't correct, ?

The post was led offf with information about contecting Telus to unlock the device, something that wuoldn't make the deivice work at Public Mobile.

@computergeek541 

i do say this make call to that number at Here link,, maybe they can unlock for you,

and you see what more in my OP, but i do know why you are too many time i see you did removed from my name... something wrong!

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

i do agree with you if that device from Telus/Koodo/Public, is will be working but that device maybe has a issue and them have to contact CSA, to fix or return to PM. so how is the answer wasn't correct, ?

The post was led offf with information about contacting Telus to unlock the device, something that wouldn't make the deivice work at Public Mobile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

review they OP..

but they Bought refurbished iPhone from Public Mobile ?

and only CSA, they can help them.

Yes,  I agreee that a CSA can help with an issue with the phone.  However, you're talking about unlocking, something that would not make it work at Public Mobile, and Telus/Koodo iPhone devices most definitely don't need to be unlocked to use them at Public Mobile. Telus/Kooodo phone almost never need to be unlocked to work at Public Mobile.  And, if by some strange chance that it's unlocked to another carrier other than Telus/Koodo/Public, a Public Mobile CSA wouldn't be able to help unlock it, regardless.

@computergeek541 

you agree that only CSA will help them and i say to them maybe if can make call to Telus they will unlocked for them because ( Bought refurbished iPhone from Public Mobile) right and you do removed from my name a accepted as solution so why ?

Let's assume that this iPhone is locked to Telus. It would still work at Public Mobile.  Unlocking wouldn't change any of that.  The solutions was removed because the information wasn't correct.

@computergeek541 

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

review they OP..

Yes,  I agreee that a CSA can help with an issue with the phone.  However, you're talking about unlocking, something that would not make it work at Public Mobile, and Telus/Koodo iPhone devices most definitely don't need to be unlocked to use them at Public Mobile. Telus/Kooodo phone almost never need to be unlocked to work at Public Mobile.  And, if by some strange chance that it's unlocked to another carrier other than Telus/Koodo/Public, a Public Mobile CSA wouldn't be able to help unlock it, regardless.

@computergeek541 

you agree that only CSA will help them and i say to them maybe if can make call to Telus they will unlocked for them because ( Bought refurbished iPhone from Public Mobile) right and you do removed from my name a accepted as solution so why ?

Let's assume that this iPhone is locked to Telus. It would still work at Public Mobile.  Unlocking wouldn't change any of that.  The solutions was removed because the information wasn't correct.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

review they OP..

@computergeek541 

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

review they OP..

Yes,  I agreee that a CSA can help with an issue with the phone.  However, you're talking about unlocking, something that would not make it work at Public Mobile, and Telus/Koodo iPhone devices most definitely don't need to be unlocked to use them at Public Mobile.  And, if by some strange chance that it's unlocked to another carrier other than Telus/Koodo/Public, a Public Mobile CSA wouldn't be able to help unlock it, regardless.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 

review they OP..

@Anonymous wrote:

@berkkl wrote:

Thank you. Will try CS_agent 🙂

@berkkl 

i hope they will unlock for you to you will enjoy new device and good luck..

@berkkl 

This isn't a matter of the phone being locked. Almost every phone locked to Telus or Koodo (I have experienced a few exceptions) will work at Pubic Mobile without needing to unlock it.

By some chance that this device is carrier locked, Public Mobile would only be able to get the device unlocked if it was locked to Telus/Koodo.  All getting Public Mobile customer support to unlock the device will do would be to allow it to be used at a non-Telus owned brand as I would imagine that these devcies originally came from Telus or Koodo inventory.  Also, all devices sold by Public Mobile should already be unlocked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@berkkl wrote:

@berkkl 

i hope they will unlock for you to you will enjoy new device and good luck..

berkkl

Anonymous
Not applicable

@berkkl 

Explain your issue to Contact Customer Support Agent by  ,
they can solve your issue, they are nice Service Team they will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,

• you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your account number, 
  • your phone number,
  • your account 4 digit pin,
  • your Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck..

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@berkkl 

Yes, they should be unlocked. Can you see if there are any updates to your phone? Can you also plug it into a computer and start iTunes to see if there are any carrier updates.

The phone might be locked to Telus which would still work on PM.

berkkl

Did reset and entire phone, still SIM locked.

berkkl

It is carrier locked, but I assumed to Public Mobile and should still work since I am also an existing Public Mobile customer.
BTW, should refurbished phones from Public Mobile be unlocked?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@berkkl 

can you try to do 

Erase all content and settings from iPhone
  1. Go to Settings > General > Reset 
  2. select Erase All Content and Settings.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@berkkl wrote:

Is your phone locked to another carrier?

Go to Settings and tap General -> About -> Carrier Lock. An unlocked iPhone will say No SIM Restrictions.

Need Help? Let's chat.