cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card is too small and I don't have the original package

Samar1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am switching phones, but my SIM card is too small. I know that the card came with different sizes, but I threw out the packaging because I did not foresee the need to switch phones 2 months later. Do I need to buy a new SIM card?

14 REPLIES 14

@darlicious wrote:

So what shop was kind enough to give you plastic casing? Give them a shout out! Im hapoy to hear youve been sorted out!

I've seen sets of these form spacers at dollar stores.

I've also seen them cost $20 at Best Buy, lol.

The most you should ever have to pay for them would be the price of a triple-punch SIM card (like the ones PM sells for $10). Even if you never actually use the SIM card itself.

@Samar1 

So what shop was kind enough to give you plastic casing? Give them a shout out! Im hapoy to hear youve been sorted out!

Any Triple Cut SIM card remnant will work. Bell, Telus, Virgin etc. If in lower mainland I will give you a SIM card adapter kit. And who knows a mobile shop probably has some in their garbage can. 

@AE_Collector 

I strongly suspect the OP needs the inner casing (that's blue) for their sim card to go in the replacement device. The same thing I have to do when putting the bf's sim card in my back up phone or mine for that matter since he loses his sim card with the lost phone!!

Edit: For a "macgyver" definition please follow @computergeek541  link to the lounge!

Full size, micro, nano (triple sim card).Full size, micro, nano (triple sim card).

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

You could also ask friends or family if they still have theirs in a drawer. Any movie shop probably has some in the garbage can. Check your old phone boxes maybe you still have one. 

@Samar1  Hasn’t identified what size the SIM is now and what size it needs to be. I think there are actually 4 sizes but the largest original is long gone in any phone that is usable on existing networks. That leaves “Full Size”, “Micro” and “Nano” SIM sizes. The adapter that @darlicious  shows says Micro to Full Size but Micro Size SIMs were the shortest lived version, most devices now are Nano. Maybe that is what she meant by doing some Macgyvering to it. I have heard that term a few times now but have no idea what the reference is. Modifications?

Reading the advertisement from the Source the description says works for Micro AND Nano sized SIM cards. Of course it also says made from “Non Aging Plastic”. I have seen lots of plastic that didnt age well, I guess this ISN’T made from that type of plastic. This is the type that can float around the Pacific Ocean for thousands of years with out breaking down instead of just a few hundred years!!

AE_Collector

@Samar1 

You would have to do a little macgyvering to it but the source has them for $0.96.

https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/brands/sadapter/sadapter-micro-to-full-sim-card-adapter/p/108008815

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Samar1 

Do what @Anonymous suggested to any mobile shop and ask for a adapter nicely.

If you cannot find a store which will give you one, send me a private message with your mailing address and I will mail you one at my expense.  I am from AB.  It will take couple of days for Canada Post to deliver it to you if you live in Western Canada.   Otherwise, 4 - 5 days to Eastern Canada.

If you live in GTA, you can buy a PM 3-in-1 SIM for $4.99 cents at Canadian Cell Supplies.  Use the adapter and keep the PM SIM card as backup.

https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/sim-cards/products/public-sim-card

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Samar1 If you are around southeast NB, I'll give you one.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Samar1 ,

You can gently place the smallest part back into it's frame and carefully place it into the phone...you just need to find the outside frames to do this.

I would do what @Anonymous suggests to do. These kiosk/stores should not care if you ask for their throw-aways.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Samar1 

Hopefully not....you can buy an adapter from best buy or the source for $3 to $7. But I would try London drugs or another retailer that does activations and ask if they have one that they've thrown away or put aside for recycling. TMS, even telus may help out.

Edit: Where are you located? Another member might be able to help.....im in vancouver.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Samar1  as mentioned a cell shop is your best choice. eBay or Amazon also sell adapters if you are not in a rush.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Samar1 wrote:

I am switching phones, but my SIM card is too small. I know that the card came with different sizes, but I threw out the packaging because I did not foresee the need to switch phones 2 months later. Do I need to buy a new SIM card?

Try going to a cell shop and see if they have thrown out remains. That micro size frame is kinda delicate though.

Need Help? Let's chat.