cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card is invalid or not detected

jbree
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I recently got an LG G3 used but in pretty good condition. When I first inserted my SIM card in it recongised it for about 10 minutes and then it said that the SIM card was removed and it rebooted by itself. Upon removing it and placing it back in about five times I got it to work again only for a few hours before the same thing happened. Walmart wont let me get a new SIM card unless I purchase it. I have no way of knowing if its the SIM card or the actual phone because it is recognized in other phones and my phone recognizes other SIM cards as well. The problem only arises at random ( and seemingly only with the PM SIM in my new used LG phone).

Any Ideas?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

jbree

I think I found out what the problem is with the SIM card. The LG G3 takes a micro sized SIM and for whatever reason the sleeve that fits around the nano sized PM SIM card to make it micro sized is slightly thicker than the card. This obviously creates a slight gap between the card and the reader in the phone. Right now I can get it to work for a while with the SIM carefully placed, but eventually it always looses contact at some point...

Im thinking of trying to slightly shave the thickness of the SIM card sleeve somehow.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mimmo wrote:

the only way to get a new sim is to buy one.  

@mimmo technically true, but...

@jbree it might be worthwhile reaching out to the moderator team (details below) and mentioning this issue. They may try additional troubleshooting steps with you, but if a faulty SIM is suspected as they cause, sometimes they will arrange to ship you a complimentary replacement in an effort to resolve the problem.  It's worth politely asking, anyway.

Here's the details for getting support from the moderators:

Spoiler
How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?In your message please include:
  • PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue
Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:
  • Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount
How long until they reply?:
  • Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.
How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

specialK

might not be very helpful, but when I was briefly using a G3 with PM I had no issues with the SIM

jbree

Yes, very frustrating to troubleshoot. That's why I am thinking it has something to do with the SIM being slightly too thin, and occasionally losing contact with the reader. It has been working good so far today, but I have a feeling the problem will arise again sooner or later

pakmode2

Sim card issues can be a PITA.

If the sim card works on other phones AND other sim cards work in the LG phone, then it's hard to troubleshoot.

You can always ask the Mods to send you a new sim card as yours may be defective.

mimmo

I have no personal experience.

Check out this thread. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/quot-NO-SIM-quot-New-Customer-Phone-does-...

also do search for thin sim there are several threads on the topic. 

jbree

Okay, if the problem persists I will try the tape solution. It theoretically seems like it could work. Have you personally tried it as a solution or know someone who has?

mimmo

if there are no issues with the pm sim in other phones then it is probably a phone issue.    there could be the occasioal loss of contact between teh sim and teh phone.  you could try puttinga piece of tape on the back of the pm sim to add additional pressure between the sim and the contacts.  (this could cause issues if tape peels off while insering the sim or similar, so take this option as a last resort. ) 

the only way to get a new sim is to buy one.  

Need Help? Let's chat.