cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card in router and port forwarding

licorice
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Anyone else have experience with using your PM SIM card in a router?

I've set up a router with a PM SIM card running OpenWRT software and I have computers on my router network connecting to the internet via the mobile data connection.  I am issued an IP address (e.g., 25.26.*.* or 25.9.*.*) and my external IP address shows up as 209.52.*.*.  All is good for outgoing connections.

What I want to do is provide an incoming connection so that one of those computers in my network can be remotely accessed via the mobile network.  I have made the necessary adjustments to the firewall and created a port forwarding rule on my router, but no luck connecting from an outside network.  I also cannot ping my PM-issed IP address successfully. 

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

There is no router setup when using LogMeIn.  All you need is login to your LogMeIn account with your password on both sides.

https://documentation.logmein.com/webhelp/EN/LogMeInGetStart/LogMeIn/c_common_easy.html

licorice
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks -- internal network is using static IP address for computers that I want access to, otherwise defaults to DHCP for ones that just need internet access.  So for the computer I am trying to remote desktop to, I set a static address like 192.168.1.123 and then set that in the port forwarding and it is 'enabled'.  Strange I cannot just even do a simple ping from an external network, although I did ensure that pinging is allowed from the outside on the router.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@licorice

Which remote desktop software are you using?

I used free LogMeIn software to do remote access to PC over 7 years ago.  I do not remember that I have to do port forward on the router.  I setup LogMeIn software on the PC which allows remote access.  Install LogMeIn app on my Android phone or on my PC to access other LogMeIn configured PC.

Don't ask me any details about how to set it up.  It was too long ago.  Read the documents on LogMeIn.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

When you say "you are issued" an ip address, do you mean each local machine on your router which that means DHCP is enabled? Should you not set up a static ip when you use network address translation with port forwarding? Then set up port forwarding on your router for the IP you have set.

Otherwise everytime you turn off your computer / reconnect you may have a different ip rendering your port forwarding useless. Some routers such as ddwrt you have to actually click the "enable" button as well when you set up forwarding not just enter the information.

Is this the default windows remote desktop? If you change the port you need to do so in the registry. There are other RDP you can use, such as teamviewer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@licorice: Interesting project.

Pings can be blocked. I beleive it's ICMP or something like that.

Try DMZ to see if a wide open door can get to a computer.

Need Help? Let's chat.