cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card freezing phone

Keishin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all, my phone's been acting up lately so I decided to remove the SIM card to see what would happen. I have a Nokia 800 Tough. Everything seemed to work smoothly (aside from the ability to call) after that. If I turn the phone off, insert the SIM card and turn it on again, the whole thing freezes. It's pretty consistent. The only way I can get into it again is by forcing a shutdown, removing the card, and firing it up again.

Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Keishin 

Try cleaning the SIM card:

Use an eraser or cotton swab to remove dirt or dust. 

Gently rub the eraser or cotton swab along the gold contacts on your SIM card. Continue to make light strokes until your SIM card is clean.

Wipe the card with a dry, lint-free cloth for all-over cleaning. 

Simply wipe down your SIM card using a clean cloth. Don’t apply any cleaners to the card or the cloth. This can remove dirt, oils, and moisture from any part of the SIM card.

A microfiber cloth works well for cleaning any part of your phone, including the SIM card.

Dry cloths made for eyeglasses are a convenient option.

Use rubbing alcohol to remove oxidation. 

Dampen one end of a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol. Then gently rub the alcohol against the gold contacts on your SIM card. Continue cleaning the contacts until all of the oxidation is gone.

The cotton swab should be damp but not soaking wet with alcohol.

Do not get any rubbing alcohol inside your phone

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Also try somebody else's sim card on that phone

If you get the same you may need to factory reset the phone. Funny e forget to backup

How is the same sim in different phone?

@Keishin 

You could try your PM Sim card in another working phone.  this helps determine whether hardware issue versus PM service problem.  Or you could try a different working SIM card in your Nokia phone.  

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Keishin wrote:

Hi all, my phone's been acting up lately so I decided to remove the SIM card to see what would happen. I have a Nokia 800 Tough. Everything seemed to work smoothly (aside from the ability to call) after that. If I turn the phone off, insert the SIM card and turn it on again, the whole thing freezes. It's pretty consistent. The only way I can get into it again is by forcing a shutdown, removing the card, and firing it up again.

Any thoughts?

@Keishin hi I would suggest doing a factory reset 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Keishin wrote:

Any thoughts?

@Keishin Though pretty rare, sim cards can fail. I have had one go on me over the past 15  years or so. Have you tried it in a different phone or a different sim in the Tough? If it still isn't working, easiest thing to do is buy a new one (DO NOT ACTIVATE IT) and use change sim card feature in your self serve.

Need Help? Let's chat.