cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM cannot connect to mobile network on my phone

solomonc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I started my plan with public mobile about 4 days ago, and still have not been able to connect to the public mobile network. I tried switching my SIM card into my old phone (LG G4)  and it works perfectly fine. But it gives me the message "This SIM is not allowed connection to this network" when I try to connect to Public Mobile's network on my current phone. The phone I am using is the LG G7 ThinQ .

Here are some things I've tried with no success:

-Restarting and removing SIM , cleaning the slot etc. And putting it back in.

-Messaging the moderator team, they've tried to help me but they reply about every 24 hours and I still haven't fixed it after 4 days.

-manually connecting to mobile network , from network settings.

-Retyping my sim card number on my PM self serve account

-Consider my phone is broken, which it is not because I have been using virgin mobile for the past year on it

-Consider my phone is not unlocked. I'm 90% sure it is unlocked because I bought it as an unlocked phone. Not sure how to be 100% sure though.

-Consider my sim is broken , which it is not because it works on other phones.

-Consider if my phone is lost or stolen since it is second hand, confirmed it is not after I did an IMEI check.

-consider phone comparability, it is compatable. The LG G7 can recieve all modern network bands. In fact public Mobile's network shows up when I do a manual search but I can't connect.

I have basically tried everything I found on the forum with no success , besides a hard factory reset , which I would prefer not to do as I have about 50 GB of app data I would need to redownload.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

27 REPLIES 27

@Neftha1 wrote:

I have the same problem.

@Neftha1 

This is an old thread.  You might want to start your own question/thread.  

More details would be helpful. 

New activation versus existing customer?  Ported number?  

Which model phone? 

Are you able to access self service account?  active versus suspended status.

What have you tried to fix so far?  reboot phone? network reset?

Neftha1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the same problem.

solomonc

Update:

After talking to my original phone owner they told me the phone was bought from Rogers. I called Rogers and they gave me an unlock code. However, the phone was already unlocked and it is some kind of glitch/ bug that prevents me from connecting to Public Mobile and Telus. I ended up talking to LG and having my phone sent to FutureTel to be fixed. Thankfully I still have a few weeks of warantee left . 

For now I got a cheap temporary phone to use and it works just fine.

@oglat wrote:

Yes if you go to Koodo or Telus store if they manage to get their sim to work you will be in luck.

I still believe it's locked cause they are always locked, I had to pay freedom to unlock my unlocked phone just cause I couldn't want to wait 3 months when they have to do it for free. 

Keep us updated please if you don't mind

Phones are no longer usually locked to any carrier. Also, there is no 3 month requirement.   This is an old requirement that Freedom had, and in that policy they just wouldn't unlock it for you until that amount of time had passed.  Carriers need to unlock the phone immediately upon request or provide the device unlocked.

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yes if you go to Koodo or Telus store if they manage to get their sim to work you will be in luck.

I still believe it's locked cause they are always locked, I had to pay freedom to unlock my unlocked phone just cause I couldn't want to wait 3 months when they have to do it for free. 

Keep us updated please if you don't mind

solomonc

Hey guys, thanks for your continued support. The moderator has run out of ideas too on how to get the PM sim card to work on my phone. And my phone does not ask for a pin when putting other sim cards in , so I am pretty sure it is unlocked. I will try the suggestion of going to a mobile phone booth and asking them to check if Telus / Koodo sim cards work on my phone. Other than that I think my phone is just a freak case that can't be fixed. I will probably have to switch phone providers again... Thanks again for all your help.

oglat

@solomonc wrote:

Just called Virgin mobile, they said they dont lock phones and referred me to call LG. and LG also turned me away telling me that mobile network issues should be dealt with by the carrier themselves. 

Sorry to hear that

Virgin doesn't lock the phones? they get them licked.

Also locked phone it's not a network issue really and lg it's obligated to unlock it for you

Did you call them or chat with them?

I think you should talk to lg again.

Does phone ever ask for pin?

@CanHelpFixFones wrote:

Ok, so I'm pretty familiar with cellphones as I also fix, unlock, repair them (usually for friends mostly and such)...

&

It's really bugging me that UR still not completely sure if phone is unlocked or even works with carriers or not!(I.m.h.o. High possibility for issue?)

... Therefore,

You really gotta find out if it is still locked or at least if you can use the cellphone on network so an easy way to do that is to goto any cellphone store of Telus or Koodo and tell them that you need to find out if the phone will work with their network!(&YES;telus/koodo also means P.M.)

THEN THEY can test it for you(& yes 4FREE!) by putting in the carriers simcard & TRY to make a call!

There. Problem solved with the carrier compatibility issue!(& this will also automatically double check for you if phone is blacklisted or not, especially carrier wise anyways, but most likely for all)

& another important thing is to double check your APN is configured for P.M.!(most phones is automatic, but sometimes such as the "with L.G. Phones" Problem mentioned earlier)

maybe U should check that 1st as it's the easiest&you can do it right away yourself in under 1 minute!

Just goto SETTINGS~ then connections-mobile networks... Then to Access Point Names(or A.P.N)

& FILL IT IN CURRENTLY THEN CHOOSE IT & REFRESH OR WHATEVER!

That's my 2 cents on the matter, hopefully my tips/suggestions helps as those 2 are main things that come to mind as possible reasons!

Hey @CanHelpFixFones, we appreciate you coming in to assist, but can you please use full words, rather than SMS short forms to save chanters?  There’s no limit on the length of message here.

@CanHelpFixFones wrote:

You really gotta find out if it is still locked or at least if you can use the cellphone on network so an easy way to do that is to goto any cellphone store of Telus or Koodo and tell them that you need to find out if the phone will work with their network!(&YES;telus/koodo also means P.M.)

& another important thing is to double check your APN is configured for P.M.!(most phones is automatic, but sometimes such as the "with L.G. Phones" Problem mentioned earlier)

maybe U should check that 1st as it's the easiest&you can do it right away yourself in under 1 minute!

Just goto SETTINGS~ then connections-mobile networks... Then to Access Point Names(or A.P.N)

I agree with you about finding out for sure if the phone is unlocked and testing it with a Telus or Koodo sim to see If there is a problem specific to this network.  However, in cases in which the phone can't connect to the network, trying to change APN settings cannot fix that.  Hypothetically, if the APN settings were set incorrectly, phone calls and text messaging would still work. 

CanHelpFixFones
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Ok, so I'm pretty familiar with cellphones as I also fix, unlock, repair them (usually for friends mostly and such)...

&

It's really bugging me that UR still not completely sure if phone is unlocked or even works with carriers or not!(I.m.h.o. High possibility for issue?)

... Therefore,

THEN THEY can test it for you(& yes 4FREE!) by putting in the carriers simcard & TRY to make a call!

There. Problem solved with the carrier compatibility issue!(& this will also automatically double check for you if phone is blacklisted or not, especially carrier wise anyways, but most likely for all)

That's my 2 cents on the matter, hopefully my tips/suggestions helps as those 2 are main things that come to mind as possible reasons!

@solomonc wrote:

I just performed a factory reset on my phone and I still cannot connect to the public mobile network. The moderators keep suggesting things I've already tried. I dont know what to do at this point.

I know you already checked if the IMEI was blacklisted.  It is possible for a phone not to be on the national blacklist but still be blacklisted internally by Telus.

Since you've already determined that your Public Mobile service is working fine, other than checking if the phone is being blocked from connecting (blacklist), there isn't a lot that moderators can do other than make generic sugguestions, many of which are the same as anyone here would make.

@solomonc wrote:

I do not have any other SIM cards available, only my old virgin mobile one. The moderator replied suggesting my phone may still be locked to virgin , even though I didn't buy my phone from them. How do I check to know for sure?

The only way that is easily doable is to try sim cards from other carriers in it.

@solomonc wrote:

Just called Virgin mobile, they said they dont lock phones and referred me to call LG. and LG also turned me away telling me that mobile network issues should be dealt with by the carrier themselves. 

IGU.gif

You got me...I give up!!

solomonc

@solomonc wrote:

I do not have any other SIM cards available, only my old virgin mobile one. The moderator replied suggesting my phone may still be locked to virgin , even though I didn't buy my phone from them. How do I check to know for sure?

@solomonc  Even though you didn't buy the phone from Virgin it is still possible for Virgin to have locked the phone to their network. Best to call them and ask them to provide you with an unlock code.

solomonc

I just performed a factory reset on my phone and I still cannot connect to the public mobile network. The moderators keep suggesting things I've already tried. I dont know what to do at this point.

solomonc

oglat

Do you have access to another sim card, best rogers company. Or really anything non bell.

If it is licked it will ask for code.

Do you have access to another lg device? If it has enough memory you could backup on it

@solomonc I think your next step is to try a full factory reset. Some LG phones have this problem and it can only be resolved with a factory reset.

@solomoncDo you have any other Telus sim card lying area? even deactivated ones? If not go into any mass market places like Wow! or Mobile Shop and see if they have any spare cards you can test. I wonder if it is a PM or Telus specific problem.

solomonc

Thanks for the suggestion, just tried it and still no luck 😕

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@solomonc 

Worthwhile doing a network reset to see if the sim connects.

1. From a Home screen, navigate: Settings > System .
  2. Tap Restart & reset .
  3. Tap Network settings reset.
  4. Tap RESET SETTINGS.
  5. Tap Reset Settings.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I was lucky with my lg v30 thinq, it connected right off on its own, maybe it's cause I ported from the other flanker which shares this network.

solomonc

I am currently waiting on the moderators reply,

They asked my for my IMEI and phone model so maybe that's the next step. Glad I'm not the only one that's had these issues!

oglat

One more thing

Network reset will not wipe out 

If you have another lg device with enough memory you can do a backup

oglat

I had issues with lg as well, nothing but contacting moderators worked for me.

They will push configuration files through sms you will need to provide make model and IMEIhttps://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

It may take 48 hours for response maybe they'll be able to help 

Does it ask for any code?

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@solomoncLG phones are strange beasts.. you need to do a network reset or a total reset to get it working.

Need Help? Let's chat.