cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Transfer to a new phone

hartpm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently purchased an Iphone 11 and tried adding my PM plan but the new phone wouldn't accept the the APN

26 REPLIES 26

@hartpm

check your pm I'll help you through there

hartpm

Sorry it doesn't connect to public mobile

Try this.

Settings --> General --> About --> Carrier, where the profile should be something like Public Mobile xx.x

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hartpm wrote:

In my old phone everything is fine but when i move the sim to the new phone which is unlocked there is nothing it does connect to public mobile etc

It does or doesn't connect to Public Mobile?  If not, is "Airplane Mode" off?  What if you do a manual network search?  (Settings » Cellular » Cellular Network » Turn off automatic network search)  Do you see Public Mobile?

hartpm

what do you mean "what is the version of the Carrier profile",  the new phone is updated

hartpm

In my old phone everything is fine but when i move the sim to the new phone which is unlocked there is nothing it does connect to public mobile etc

.. can you confirm

what is the top of the screen showing?  Public Mobile?  How many bars for the signals?  Can you at least make outgoing calls or getting incoming?

Also, what is the version of the Carrier profile?

can you try to connect your phone to a computer?  It might have some update to get before it works

BlueB

@hartpm wrote:

Yes did the itunes thing, the SIM is in my old phone and working fine

^-- This post earlier confused us, because you said the SIM is (currently) in your old phone.  Okay, so what @hTideGnow asked is still valid - can you perform ANY incoming/outgoing calls/messages/etc?

Okay, if moving the SIM card over and it doesn't work - does your phone even connect to the Public Mobile network?  (Is your phone locked?)

hartpm

It isn't working.......

hartpm

You got to be kidding, lol this is what my question is all about, i took the sim out ofmy old phone and put it in the new phone and it didn't work.

@hartpm  yes, if you swap the SIM from your old phone to the iPhone, is it working?  what is the top of the screen showing?  Public Mobile?  How many bars for the signals?  Can you at least make outgoing calls or getting incoming?

BlueB

@hartpm 

Ahhh... if the old SIM is still working in your old phone, then you'll need to physically take it out and put it into your new iPhone!  🙂

You can only have 1 phone/device active on an account at any given time.  Or, is the iPhone going to be a second phone (ie. you're going to be paying for 2x accounts)?  If you're going to be paying for 2x accounts, then you'll need to get a 2nd SIM card for your 2nd phone, then go through the activation process!  Don't forget to use your 1st phone's account as a Referral to your 2nd phone to get the $10 credit + $1/mo savings!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hartpm : Ok then. Now we know it's the phone and not the service. I'll stop here as I'm not an Apple guy.

hartpm

Yes did the itunes thing, the SIM is in my old phone and working fine

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hartpm : Did you do the itunes thing? Can you try the SIM in another phone? Can you try another SIM in the phone? Have a look at devicecheck.ca too.

hartpm

The only box that i can enter info is SM-DP-Address

hartpm

Nothing is working, factory reboot etc the new iphone will not recognize my sim

@hartpm again, try the ideal to update the Carrier profile.  You shouldn't need to modify APN setting manually, it's automatic on iPhones

hartpm

Yes it is activated and has been in use in my current phone

@hartpm  did you try this?

How To Check If iPhone Carrier Settings Are Up To Date

1. Turn your iPhone off and back on again by pressing the power button until slide to power off appears on the screen of your iPhone. Then, swipe the red power icon from left to right to shut down your iPhone.
2. Wait approximately 30 seconds, and turn your iPhone back on by pressing and holding the power button until the Apple logo appears directly in the center of your iPhone’s display.
3. Then, open up the Settings app and tap General -> About. If an alert doesn’t pop-up on the screen saying a carrier settings update is available on your iPhone, that means your carrier settings are up to date.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hartpm : That QR code is for eSIM. This place doesn't support eSIM. You might need to connect via USB to itunes and check for updates.

@BlueB : iphones don't use all that APN stuff. They have one for hotspot and that's it.

BlueB

Good find, @Meow🙂

@hartpm - Sometimes those automated QR code things don't work well.  If it helps, try the link that @Meow provided, and otherwise, here are the full APN settings as well:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: Leave blank

To be safe, after Saving these APN settings, reboot your phone.  🙂

hartpm

When I install my current SIM card into the new phone and reboot, in settings for cell i have to scan a provider QR code which I don't have or enter it manually, i tried manually and get a sorry message, i am on Wifi and its just a new phone  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@hartpm  I assumed you have completed the activation without issue and the SIM already working with a PM account...

did you download the latest Carrier profile?     I think you can connect to the computer and using iTune to get the latest updates as well as the carrier profile

Meow
Mayor / Maire

For changing APN settings on an iPhone click HERE.

Did you activate your SIM?

Does your SIM work in any other phone?

BlueB

@hartpm 

Congrats on the new phone!  What do you mean you tried adding your PM plan?

You should be able to move your SIM card over (and update the APN info if needed).  Some have mentioned some "bugs" with updating APN and other info to get data working.  (Wifi should be working though, right?).  The easiest suggestion was to do a Factory Reset of the phone so that APN updates/etc would work properly.

Or, is this a second phone?  If so, are you activating a new SIM card?  You'll need a different email address since only 1 account will work per email address.

Need Help? Let's chat.