cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Password not working

mgnbene
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an LGg6 and I got my IMEI number, Freedom mobile has not given me the unlock code, and when I use their online tool it also doesn't give me the code. I just cancelled my service with them to move to Public Mobile, but now I don't have a phone number. How do I get the unlock code to properly move to PM? I don't want to spend money to an unlock service online that is potentially illegitimate. 

10 REPLIES 10

mgnbene

Hi everyone- thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I did fully pay for my LG phone and was on a month to month with FM. I have read other threads they they say they will call back within 10 days, but just don't follow up. I filed a complaint with CRTC but unfortunately didn't add the CSR name. This will be the third time I've experienced this. I just decided to go to Costco and buy a Moto G Fast and really love it. It's the cheapest option right now, but I also wanted an upgrade (old phone had a mobile repair guy ruin the storage capacity and it was always full). LG's website told me to go to FM's website to get an unlock code and of course that didn't work.

Anyways- very happy to be with PM now, with my new phone, much more affordable plan, and network that spans further and is more reliable than FM (just travelling from Ottawa to Toronto outside of designated zones sometimes cost me a lot of money if I wasn't watching the data!).

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@mgnbene wrote:

I have an LGg6 and I got my IMEI number, Freedom mobile has not given me the unlock code, and when I use their online tool it also doesn't give me the code. I just cancelled my service with them to move to Public Mobile, but now I don't have a phone number. How do I get the unlock code to properly move to PM? I don't want to spend money to an unlock service online that is potentially illegitimate. 

@mgnbene   Is the phone fully paid up and you don't a balance with FM for anymore payments towards it? 

If that isn't the case usually the phone should already be unlocked for you or the code made available as already pointed out earlier.  I'm not sure if LG will provide an unlock code through their customer service similar to what Samsung do either.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mgnbene wrote:

Yeah, I know it's CRTC guidelines, but I asked about 2 years ago when travelling out of country and they still didn't get back to me. I've read other message boards saying they have promised to get back within 10 business days again and again and don't provide the codes. It is making me worried I will have to buy a new phone altogether... 

You can file a complaint at CCTS.  But you need to get the name of the CSRs you talked to file the complaint. 

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/

@mgnbene wrote:

Yeah, I know it's CRTC guidelines, but I asked about 2 years ago when travelling out of country and they still didn't get back to me. I've read other message boards saying they have promised to get back within 10 business days again and again and don't provide the codes. It is making me worried I will have to buy a new phone altogether... 

Hi @mgnbene , 

I would be persistent and call them back today, tomorrow, the next day and make sure they give that to you. You have the right to use that phone with other providers.

@mgnbene  you need the phone unlocked from Freedom to work here. Stay safe.  

mgnbene

@mgnbene wrote:

If I get a new number, will that solve me not getting the unlock code? If so, I can just get a new number and not transfer the old one.

If your phone is locked from the previous provider, you will not be able to use that phone with any number, until they unlock it for you.

mgnbene

If I get a new number, will that solve me not getting the unlock code? If so, I can just get a new number and not transfer the old one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mgnbene 

Freedom is legally required to give you an unlock code at no charge if you bought the phone from them.

But to port from somewhere to somewhere, the from needs to remain active.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @mgnbene ,

Your previous provider must give you the unlock code. It does not cost you anything.

FYI, if you already closed your previous provider's account, unfortunately you will not be able to port it to Public Mobile. If you are fine with a new number than that is great. If you want the old number you may have to contact freedom to active your old account (if the number is still available), then when you port to Public Mobile that account will close automatically.

Welcome!

Need Help? Let's chat.