cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Not Supported

Donster
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My first ever cellphone.... it's an iPhone 6s given by a friend, wiped of personal info and no SIM card. I got a new card from Public Mobile, made application online and was successfully activated by Public Mobile.

I turned on the iPhone which detected my WiFi. I

entered the password and got the following message.......The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier.

I don't even know what this means.....Help!!!!

7 REPLIES 7

greg11

"SIM Not Supported" The SIM card that you currently have installed is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation server". I had the same thing happen with a iPhone 5 that we thought was unlocked. We have owned the phone the entire time (since 2013). The original carrier apparently locked the phone due to 3 year contract back then, and they do NOT automatically unlock after contract is done. We changed to a different carrier in 2018 and had no problem with the new SIM carrier card.Then, we switched to public mobile and got the dreaded message above. Here's the catch, if a phone is locked and you use a different carrier on the same network (eg. originally BELL then change to Virgin, they use the same network since Virgin is a subsidiary of BELL) the SIM card is supported. Also, we learned that it is the parent carrier that has to unlock your phone using IMEI number originally assigned to the phone. We also learned that if you get phone repaired there is a chance that the IMEI number gets changed. So ensure you keep original paper work if you have it because it makes it easier to unlock. Lastly, there is no need to pay a third party unlocking service in Canada to unlock an old phone (that is clearly no longer part of a contract) since the CRTC rules in 2017 state that the carrier companies should unlock phones free of charge.

Almost painless!

Donster

Quick response from friend who got Rogers to unlock my cell thanks to the IMEI number provided. Now have phone service!!!!  Huge Thanks

Donster

Thanks so much for your prompt response. I actually did get my friend to do the unlocking with Rogers and I now have phone service.

Donster

Thanks for the prompt and informative response. When I'm able to get hold of my friend and suggest your solution, I'll let you know the outcome.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Donster  Provide the phone's IMEI number to the previous provider and ask them to unlock the phone. Once the phone gets unlocked you will be able to use it with your PM sim.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Donster Your phone is locked to the previous carrier / provider. This means it will not work with any other company's Sim card, hence the message you received. You will need to contact them to get the phone unlocked. They have to do this for you for free. Or better yet, ask your friend do get it done for you lol.

Need Help? Let's chat.