cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Not Supported on iphone 6 from Apple store

call-151
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm trying to switch an iphone 6 from Rogers to PM. When I insert the PM SIM I get the "SIM not supported" message on the iphone.

Is there a chance that the Apple store would give me a phone that is locked to Rogers?  I will be contacting Apple support in the morning, but I find it strange.

26 REPLIES 26

Snowbunny

I wanted to reply to my own message because the situation is resolved.  The SIM not supported message that is received on the Iphone 6 (and on other phones per posts I've read) is misleading.  It makes you doubt the fact that your phone is compatible with Public Mobile.  Well, I am glad to tell everyone that the Iphone 6 is compatible, and the SIM not supported message is a long-winded way of saying - "Your Phone is locked".  All it took was getting the current (or now previous) service provider to unlock the phone, and then the SIM worked fine, so don't get discouraged.

Speaking about getting discouraged, the process of getting my daughter's Iphone 6 unlocked was horrible.  She had originally purchased a used Iphone 6 through Kijiji.  After more than a year, the phone started having all sorts of problems, much of it related to the battery taking a very long time to charge, and then quickly loosing its charge, so we brought it in to the Apple Store.  Once the techs opened the phone, seems there were other issues inside which resulted in my daughter getting a brand-new Iphone 6.  That's were the "unlocking" problems began.  The IMEI number of the "new" phone did not match that of the current service provider, so they said they could not unlock the phone.  Checked back with Apple to find-out who the phone was locked to, and they confirmed that the phone was locked to Bell.  Well that was news to me, since our previous service provider was not Bell!.  Based on what the Apple technicien said (as best that I can reiterate it) the "new" phone will take-on the "old" phone's "persona", which originates from the first SIM card put into it.  Here's what I mean:  when we put the Public Mobile SIM in the new phone, it was at the same time as registering with PM port-over the service from the previous provider - bad mistake on my part).  When the PM SIM card did not work, we put the previous service provider's SIM card back in the phone.  But, by then, the phone number was ported-over to PM, so the "guts" of the phone rever back to the previous, previous service provider, which would have been from Bell!  Ah Ha!  Bell mystery solved!  So, next logical step is to contact Bell and have them unlock the phone!  "Sure they said", what is the IMIE number?  When I gave them the new phone's IMEI number, they said sorry, that phone is not part of their inventory, so they can't help me!   Back and forth I went for two days, and about 4 hours of time, with promisses of emails being sent to me to confirm unlocking by previous provider (which I never received).   Finally, Bell was willing to unlock the phone, but I had to show proof that I received that phone from the Apple store with that IMEI number.  The documents from the Apple store confirmed this, and within 5 minutes of me emailing Bell's Prevention Assistance agent (preventionassistance@bell.ca), the phone was unlocked!   All of this to say; don't give-up and try to keep that patience in-check!  And, don't port-over the phone until you are absolutely sure it is unlocked!  

P.S.  I am a newbie here, but would suggest that my response be part of the resolution to the original posting.

Snowbunny

Hi Camcun g,  I am having the same problem with my daughter's phone.  Bought the PM SIM card, but getting the SIM not supported message on her Iphone 6 which also came as a replacement to a broken phone which we brought in to the IStore to get repaired.   Thought it was locked to Virgin (our previous carrier), but they said they could  not find the IMEI number in their records.  Called Apple support, and was told it was locked to Bell.  Called Bell, and they also could not find record of it and transferred me back to a "Level 3" technical rep at Virgin who has now elevated the case to the "unlock" department.  In the meantime, the transfer has occurred, so the phone has no service; in never/never land.    How did you solve the problem?

Thanks

call-151

Yes, I did find a solution, unfortunately it was to pay Rogers $50 to unlock the phone.

Camcung
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Did you find the solution? I have same problem with your iphone. I am confuse how to solve it. 

@call-151 wrote:

Thank you all for the replies. I ended up calling Apple support asking what's up with selling her a locked phone and the nice lady with a southern US accent explained it in some bafflegab that made no sense. After taking the phone to the Rogers kiosk in the mall (who could not help me) I ended up phoning Robbers and paying the last $50 I will ever spend with them to unlock it.

The whole concept of locked phones so frustrating. Imagine having a TV that would only work on Shaw, or a computer monitor that would only work with Lenovo computers? Or Esso selling gas that only works with Chevy cars? It wouldn't be allowed! So rediculous and frustrating. There should be clear warnings on locked phones that you are buying a crippled phone.

Anyway, sorry for the rant and thanks again to everyone for the help and suggestions, it seems like a great community here!

@call-151

Glad phone running and welcome to public mobile if you ever need any help or suggestions we all are here to help each other if I m not then there will be someone else

It's all a monopoly I know it's a long process plus paying extra money phone suppose to be unlocked which provides users freedom to choice and swap carrier (not freedom mobile) as long they are not breaking contract rules 😉
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

call-151

Thank you all for the replies. I ended up calling Apple support asking what's up with selling her a locked phone and the nice lady with a southern US accent explained it in some bafflegab that made no sense. After taking the phone to the Rogers kiosk in the mall (who could not help me) I ended up phoning Robbers and paying the last $50 I will ever spend with them to unlock it.

The whole concept of locked phones so frustrating. Imagine having a TV that would only work on Shaw, or a computer monitor that would only work with Lenovo computers? Or Esso selling gas that only works with Chevy cars? It wouldn't be allowed! So rediculous and frustrating. There should be clear warnings on locked phones that you are buying a crippled phone.

Anyway, sorry for the rant and thanks again to everyone for the help and suggestions, it seems like a great community here!

@call-151
Did you find a place or unlock your iPhone already ?
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

SwiftUnlocks is the cheapest reputable third party Rogers iPhone unlocker right now at $25 USD (see the link posted above).  Rogers is the biggest jerk of all the carriers when it comes to unlocking phones.  They flat out refuse to unlock if you're not a customer, and force you to be with them for 90 days (which, as far as I can tell, is a violation of the wireless code). 

They only unlock if you are active rogers customer and phone imei has to be attached for 90 days then they can unlock it for customer as far I remember i was with them that's was the process I don't know if they change the procedure now

poutinecity
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Rogers will unlock phones for $50 + HST, but I can understand not wanting to give them a penny. 

@call-151 Others have reported this site positively: https://www.mobifree.net/unlock $56 for Rogers iPhone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Here's a link eBay charging 38.90 for rogers and fido

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/Rogers-Fido-Canada-IPhone-Factory-Unlock-Service-4s-5-5c-5s-6-6-6s-6s-SE-7-7-/2...

horemans
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
And the unlock ( for the iPhone) will be at least $100. Someone with access to the Apple activation server has to enter the mmsi number. Someone is likely risking their job doing this on the side....

@xCameron94x wrote:

there are other sites that sell unlock codes. There are also some of these stores in malls. Im not sure what the process is like for apple phones, compared to android. You can also contact rogers directly about unlocking it. Keep in mind they usually charge a fee, but i doubt its over $50 

Unlock codes do not exist for any iPhone device.

When inserting a sim card into any iPhone device, the user is required to have an internet connection so that the IMEI of that phone can be checked from an Apple database.  This database contains information on whether or not only a specific brand of sijm card is allowed to be used in the phone, or if it is allowed to use any sim card. 

For the normal unlocking method involving an iPhone, the IMEI of the phone needs to be added to the unlocked device list maintained by Apple.

TheOldVR

@call-151 It's locked for sure...

Good news is that there is a deal posted on RedFlagDeals.com.... 

Check it out, unlock for your phone is less than $40 CAD.

Good luck!

there are other sites that sell unlock codes. There are also some of these stores in malls. Im not sure what the process is like for apple phones, compared to android. You can also contact rogers directly about unlocking it. Keep in mind they usually charge a fee, but i doubt its over $50 

If you want the get it's unlocked I would suggest try eBay they will offer the cheapest price in the market right now

If you had a locked one they only replace with locked one

call-151

This phone that came from the Apple store was a replacement for a broken iphone that was locked to Rogers. I had assumed that since it was from the Apple store that it would be unlocked, but I guess I'm wrong.

call-151

Hi, yes I'm transferring two friends' phones to PM, this is the 2nd one. The first one from the other message works fine. Thank you all for the suggestions I will try them later when I have access to the phone again.  Putting the SIM card into my own PM iphone 6 did not produce the message so I suspect it's a locked phone.

I have heard of locked phones from Apple. The pricing is very different. I bought my phone outright from apple (last iPhone i'll probably have tbh- going back to android eventually). So if your phone is indeed locked to Rogers, you wont be able to use a PM sim card. However, i Believe you can unlock it if your 2-year contract is up (if it is locked). 

When did you buy the phone, and do you remember how much you paid for it. That way you'll know if it is on carrier pricing, or if its unlocked 

@call-151
I was just checking your other post the one you post about porting were you using the same phone at that time because you mentioned on that post that phone was showing public mobile logo on top instead of rogers
If yes then your phone is unlocked what you can do first try network reset and see if that resolve the issue also goto setting then carrier and turn on LTE and check apn setting if that doesn't help try full factory reset see if that's work but as I mention that if it's a same phone then your phone is compatible n unlocked also take your sim out turn your phone off insert sim and restart
And updates us if anything wrong for you

@call-151 wrote:

I'm trying to switch an iphone 6 from Rogers to PM. When I insert the PM SIM I get the "SIM not supported" message on the iphone.

Is there a chance that the Apple store would give me a phone that is locked to Rogers?  I will be contacting Apple support in the morning, but I find it strange.

Try connecting your phone to a computer with your sim card in the phone.  Sometimes, when switching sim cards (if you had a different carrier's sim card in there before), it is necessary to activate the device while connecting to the Apple server.  I know iTunes is the old-fashioned way of activation but it is stil a method that should work.

I know that in more recent iPhone iOS versions, Apple made it possible to proceed with iTunes activation by using the device itself.  The reason that the APN settings need to be checked (although you don't even need correct APN settings to connect to the network, make phone calls, or text messages) has to do with the fact that the an internet connection is required to connect to the Apple activation server.

@mimmo wrote:

yes try sim in another unlocked phone.  that will isolate a sim issue vs a hardware issue.  

I have never heard of locked phones from apple.  so not sure whta to suggest.  hopefully apple can help you.

Apple stores do sell locked phones.  They are authorized deallers of all the major carriers and if you decide to pay carrier pricing (even at outright price), or if you take one of the 2 year contracts/tabs to get a discount, it will be locked to the carrier.

The Apple stores have separate prcing for unlocked phones, and if the salesperson makes a mistake, it is fully possible to be sold a carrier locked device by mistake.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

yes try sim in another unlocked phone.  that will isolate a sim issue vs a hardware issue.  

I have never heard of locked phones from apple.  so not sure whta to suggest.  hopefully apple can help you.

Pier

Hi @call-151

@Clean the SIM card and reinsert it. Remember to set up your APN (Public mobile APN). If nothing works, try the SIM card on another 📱 phone. 

Yours,

Need Help? Let's chat.