cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Card is recognized as a Telus card and not public mobile

bb1976
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I recently tried to change phones and the very first time I booted the phone with the SIM card (that I took out of my old busted phone), I received a message telling me that "telus is the only sim in your device" and asked me if I wanted to switch it to be that. I did say yes but now all it does is report that it is telus. Why? Do I need a new SIM for this phone now? I called my number and it still does answer fine (haven't tried data as yet). The APN reports as isp.telus.com which I know is wrong! I also tried to do a full phone reset on it to get it back to factory state but it still reports that the SIM is a telus one and it did not revert to asking me the question as above. Any insights are appreciated! Thanks Bob
14 REPLIES 14

bb1976
Thanks, I figured it might be a false alarm................................. So, I did try resetting the phone and wiping the cache 2 or 3 times. After the first cache wipe and phone factory reset, I did notice that the next time I set up the phone, it came up with Public Mobile text at the top of the display just after the phone booted up (before it said telus). I STILL had to adjust the APN settings to sp.mb.com and it still does report telus in the SIM configuration area though but it seems to work nonetheless. Now I just hope that I can return the phone b/c it is missing functionality that I use. Thanks all for the help!

@bb1976 Nothing wrong with the domain. The correct setting in your APN is actually "sp.mb.com".

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

bb1976
Thank you all so much for the suggestions! I have since discovered that this phone doesn't seem to have some basic functions such as the ability to set custom ringtones for certain people and because of that, I will likely be returning it and exchanging it for a samsung (I was hoping to avoid that as they are more expensive). I guess the old saying you get what you pay for goes! That said, I will still try some of the suggestions to see if it gets recognized properly while the phone is in my purview. I do have one additional question about the APN though. I tried looking up this two-letter domain mb.com and when i try to go there with a web browser on my PC, my AV kicks out that the site is bad (which I hope is a false alarm?). I guess I just wanted to make sure this domain that is coming up as a URL:Mal infection is legit I guess.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ShawnC13has one of these Acer phones in circulation.  He must be too busy today to participate.  I am sure he has some data points to share on how to make it work on this service.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bb1976 wrote:
Thanks will13am and to all that replied thus far! I am using a supposedly unlocked phone that I bought from factory direct made by Acer. The phone is called a "Liquid Zest Plus" and runs on android 6. I switched over the APN as suggested. I just successfully sent a text message to a colleague whom replied back and will try using the phone as an access point when I get to work. Why would you recommend setting the APN Type vs the setting of "Not Set" by PM (I always ask these types of questions b/c I like to know, so don't take offense:) Mimmo, that post does not contain any link or instructions on how to clear the partition cache. Is there a procedure out there for how to do this?

My daughter has this phone as well and after putting her sim in data didn't work until I manually put the Public APN in. And yes the default APN that went in with the SIM was Telus too.

I just changed phones myself and had to also enter the Public APN again - this time though both Telus and Koodo APNs were present by default. 🙂

For the APN types, the link that @will13am posted should help you out.

If you still want to clear your cache the general method is to get into your phone's recovery mode and there should be an option from there to do it. However a factory reset also clears the cache partitions so I wouldn't worry as you've done that already.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bb1976  i found these instructions http://www.mobiany.com/how-to-wipe-the-cache-partition-on-acer-liquid-e3.html  .  this should be safe to do. I can't remmeber if  It might reset  apps data ( I can't remmber the full effects), but it does not remove any aps or picutres etc...  do not select factory reset.   I would do this step if all else above fails.

I would google "reset cache partition"  first to get a better understading of what it does.  you could also try a network reset or a second factory reset if you have no data on the phone.  (recall you mentioning you just did one)  I remember doing a econd factory helped someone out as well in the past.  

@bb1976 wrote:
Thanks will13am and to all that replied thus far! I am using a supposedly unlocked phone that I bought from factory direct made by Acer. The phone is called a "Liquid Zest Plus" and runs on android 6. I switched over the APN as suggested. I just successfully sent a text message to a colleague whom replied back and will try using the phone as an access point when I get to work. Why would you recommend setting the APN Type vs the setting of "Not Set" by PM (I always ask these types of questions b/c I like to know, so don't take offense:) Mimmo, that post does not contain any link or instructions on how to clear the partition cache. Is there a procedure out there for how to do this?

The reason why I suggest not leaving the APN type field blank is that providing the detail overrides some defaults that can potentially lead to unwanted outcomes.  For example inserting default will signify that the APN will be the default APN for data.  Without this, there is a potential for a different APN to participate in the data setting where multiple APNs that are not identical but associated with the same carrier are present.  Anyway, here is a listing of APN type infomration and what they do.

https://tamingthedroid.com/apn-type

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Does the "Telus" signal affect your service? I'm just speculating but if not then it may not be a big deal. I know that when I was with Virgin Mobile a few weeks ago, sometimes it would switch to showing "Bell" instead, but my services and everything remained the same so it wasn't a concern.

bb1976

mimmo

@kav2001c  as i said i vaguley remeber that wiping the cache might have helped, just found teh original post i was thinking of:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/No-Data/m-p/133644#M43828

It was the cache partition not davlic cache. 

@mimmo I was pretty sure the dalvik cache is just used for prefetch, unless he rooted and loaded a custom rom why would that effect his network settings?

mimmo

If none of the suggestions above work and you are using an android phone,  you could try clearing the dalvik cache partition.  I vaguley recall someone last year having a similar problem (could only see telus network) and i think that help them fix the issue. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@bb1976, what phone are you using?  You must be using what I call a "carrier phone" which is a phone sold by and OS update controlled by a carrier.  When the OS comes from a carrier, they will invariably mess with the APN configuration file.  As a result, the phone thinks you are using Telus service and selects a Telus APN on file.  As already suggested by @kav2001c, just manually create a new APN for Public Mobile.  Use this link for APN field data.  I suggest also putting defaul,supl,mms in the APN type field instead of leaving it blank.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Setting-Up-Data-APN-On-Your-Ph...

BTW, don't be surprised that even with the correct APN information, the phone may register Telus as the carrier.  A friend is using a Rogers source LG G4 on this service and the Public Mobile APN is not on file (no surprise there) and had to be manually entered.  The carrier shown is Telus. 

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@bb1976 manually input the correct apn settings

Although most phones will get info from SIM card I have seen some (mainly noname chinese phones) that are incapable of doing it properly

Need Help? Let's chat.