cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming In canada?

samgabbay
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So i was able to getmy hands on the Blackberry 9900 Just for texting and calling but once i put my sim in it says im roaming?! im in canada in montreal. Can this be a sim issue?

On the Sim it  but when i check the phone number on the dialer its a 917 number. im unable to complete calls or anything 

11 REPLIES 11

Thanks for chiming in with your personal experience with this device, @srlawren!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The 9900 runs BlackBerry's older OS7/OS7.1, prior to their move to BB10.  I used to have one on the Telus HSPA (3G) network, and it worked fine.  Now, that said, Telus supports BIS, where PM does not; however, that should only impact data and not calls or text.

If memory serves me, these older BBOS devices had a bug that would show roaming in situations like this.  I'm guessing the phone is probably actually locked to the Telus network, and thus it works on PM (for phone and text), but the OS thinks it's roaming as it's not on it's "home" network of Telus.  Don't quote me, but I believe the roaming indicator in this case is a "false-positive" and can be ignored, provided your phone and text services are working normally. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Just curious: is this BB a dual-sim, or single sim? also, what's its os?

Yes, but the Blackberry Bold 9900 definitely does support North American 3G frequencies. Again, depending on the specific version.

@samgabbay, here's the info I think may help you:

Telus's network has NO, ZERO 2G GSM fallback, only 3G and 4G LTE.

3G is the bare minimum required for services, and the frequency is 850/1900 mhz

4G LTE 1700/2100 mhz

LTE advance 700 mhz

If your handset does NOT support these frequencies, phone will NOT work. 

@samgabbay It's very unclear what you're trying to ask. If your question is about whether or not your phone can work on PM, please let us know where the Blackberry was purchased, and if it was originally locked to any carrier. This will help lookup if your phone is compatible with the PM network.

What you mean? PM is using Telus's HSPA+4G network, which covers 97% of Canada. If you meant PM's previous network, that's long gone

samgabbay

But when? any news that public is updating towers? 

Not at the moment. Perhaps that may change. 

samgabbay

nevermind its not supported with public

Need Help? Let's chat.