cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Risky sim?

GilM
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is there any risk to buying a sim from an Amazon seller?  I ordered one but t is only after the fact that I realized it is not Public Mobile I am buying from.  Also, they have stated once it arrives I am to use the "information in the package" to contact THEM directly promising special plan credits.  This somehow does not sound right.     

19 REPLIES 19

Newf2000
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would be very careful because it sounds a little suspicious. If its not from a known legitimate company dont use it. They can get access to your passwords , banking etc....Too risky you should buy a public mobile sim card. It will be a lot safer for you and possibly avoid fraud.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@GilM 

Contact them and see what they offer

They may offer to reimburse part of the cost or they may offer a voucher if you use their referral code besides the usual referral (don't forget any referral code will give you$10 theirs or the friend's who recommended public mobile. You are getting 10 no matter what, bit maybe they will offer something else too)

The only thing they know about it is the sim number. The only thing they could do at this point is to activate it, bit that wouldn't make any sense as you would just dispute charges and they would lose a sim the money for the plan (they can't use it if you have it) and the opportunity to make referral.

When you activate you could use different email from the other your used to contact them (you can use aliases). You may also want to mispell your name.

Most likely there is no problem, but if you are really worried. I probably wouldn't be.

Activated account is different story

They have account number PIN and dob that they created. They also may have your name and email.

In that case you want to change all of that. You can't change account number though. PIN and dob will have to be changed through moderators and this is when you will want to use different email and alter your name and use your mom's address

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@GilM Thankfully Amazon doesn't  share any of your personal information with them or then I would be worried 😱

@mimmo there are so many websites that have been made to say Get 100.00 credit, get 25.00 credit get 150.00 credit. I could spend hours sending these to you LOL.

@GilM if they are offering higher credits, it's not because they have some special codes it's them just piggybacking on the credits that Public Mobile will provide, 2.00 off on autopay, community rewards, Etc. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@GilM wrote:

Is there any risk to buying a sim from an Amazon seller?  I ordered one but t is only after the fact that I realized it is not Public Mobile I am buying from.  Also, they have stated once it arrives I am to use the "information in the package" to contact THEM directly promising special plan credits.  This somehow does not sound right.     

They probably just want you to use their referral. They should be upfront about that and say, if you buy a SIM from me can you use my referral. 

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilM wrote:

Mostly I just don’t want to risk having a sim that allows someone to control my account in some way, or worse... get personal information to access my ID, life, and finances.  It may be nothing, but I am looking close and will definitely report any scam details to Public Mobile should that be the way it turns out.  The “package” is supposed to arrive this week, then I can provide more details.  I can say that the seller has changed their name on Amazon so that does not look good either.  In any event I have original order information as well as messages back and forth. Maybe this will all be cleared up but being careful.  I should say though, my concern is NOT with Public Mobile, I believe they offer excellent service at a fair price!

I think it's only an issue with the pre-activated SIM's. So when it arrives...turn off wifi, turn off data, turn off phone, insert SIM, turn on phone, call and/or text someone and see if it works. If it doesn't then it's not activated.

Do the activation and choose to use whatever their promo stuff is or use any of the bunch you've probably already received in your private message inbox here. Or ask someone here for one if you like. If they supply you a 6 character code then it is just a referral and it's currently just $10 for you (and their reward).

GilM

Yes, it does say fulfilled by Amazon. 

GilM

Mostly I just don’t want to risk having a sim that allows someone to control my account in some way, or worse... get personal information to access my ID, life, and finances.  It may be nothing, but I am looking close and will definitely report any scam details to Public Mobile should that be the way it turns out.  The “package” is supposed to arrive this week, then I can provide more details.  I can say that the seller has changed their name on Amazon so that does not look good either.  In any event I have original order information as well as messages back and forth. Maybe this will all be cleared up but being careful.  I should say though, my concern is NOT with Public Mobile, I believe they offer excellent service at a fair price!

Rusty
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey Bud,

I bought two. no issues man. The reality is that there are a ton of sim cards sold. If there were issues they would have been shut down ages ago. The two I got worked out of the package, no issues. EZ PZ. If you did have issues, amazon would refund you. The trick in buying from Amazon is to ensure on the right side it says "fulfilled by amazon". That's your 100% guarantee. Hope this helps!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GilM @Can you post details of offer or private message me link? If it looks fishy I will forward it to pm management

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@GilM @Hi what are they promising you?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilM wrote:

No, I paid just under $10. The credits this seller are supposedly offering are larger than that.  I smell a scam, guess I will see when it comes in.

Then he's got his own promo going. But it does smell fishy. Or he still thinks the old referral promos are ongoing. They're not.

I have heard of sellers selling pre-activated accounts. THAT seems fishy as then they have control of your account until you get control yourself.

GilM

No, I paid just under $10. The credits this seller are supposedly offering are larger than that.  I smell a scam, guess I will see when it comes in.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

A sim is a sim I think. Not sure it's a scam ie the sim will not activate and is garbage. But as mentioned someone trying to gain referrals.

All plans are listed on pm site. Using the referal code from the seller or from someone here will result in the same thing. 10$ credit for you and $1)month for the referee.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilM wrote:

The "special plan credits" is simply the referral code. If you sign up using a referral code you get a $10 credit put on your account. What's in it for them you ask? They get a $1 per 30 days reward for referring someone. Imagine how that adds up with so many referrals.

So just ignore their "information in the package" and go ahead and activate yourself. Don't forget a referral code for that free 10 bucks.

Edit: yumpin yiminy ninja'd

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@GilM 

@GilM wrote:

this is the best deal out there, ive bought a sim and few vouchers, its safe 

https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/sim-cards

welcome to PM and all the best.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@GilM it's probably a scam with someone wanting you to use their referral code to get a $1 monthly credit. I would return it. I got taken in with such a scam through Amazon too. I returned the SIM card for a full refund. You can order a SIM card here https://store.publicmobile.ca/cart

Here's 4 articles on activation and porting and the Refer a friend reward  if required:

1. What you require to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/what-you-need-to-activate
2.How to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up
3.How to port https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number
4. Refer a friend https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

Welcome To PM. Stay safe. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@GilM Hello sounds to me like one of those companies that will sell you a sim and when the package comes they want you to use the referral code and promising you $10 off anyone here can give you a referral code basically they’re just telling you to use theirs I hope you didn’t pay more than 10 dollars

Need Help? Let's chat.