cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing phone

shegou
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am replacing my Moto G5 with a Moto One Vision.  Will I need a new SIM card and will my contacts be transferred with the SIM card?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

shegou
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks.  This is very helpful.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@shegou 

Just  remove the sim card from one phone to the other unless you need a bigger size then you may need to get an adapter or ask your local cellular retailer if they have any leftover sim card snapped out"frames" you could have......

I used the smartswitch app to transfer everything from one phone to my new phone. Since you are changing to a phone by the same manufacturer its unlikely that you have any bloatware that you wouldn't want transferred.

80D1D9B0-11BF-4C00-A96B-8565C38DE1AB.jpegHere is a sample of tri cut. Some times is very hard to to see the cut marks.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@shegou 

The only way that one may need a new SIM card is if the existing SIM card is of the non tri-cut variety and adapters either can or cannot be amended on/off it.

Both of these phones use a nano sized SIM card so if it is just a matter of sliding it out of one sim tray and putting it in the other SIM tray.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

To go w/ the answer above, these instructions should be relevant to your G5: https://www.motorola-support.com/us-en/?page=device/motorola/moto-g-plus-5th-gen/topic/reset/backup-...

Also, if you have an SD card, you can move photos/videos to that, take it out, then pop it in your new phone.

But as cellphoneuser1 said, the SIM card doesn't store contacts and typically they're all synced through a cloud service like Google contacts, etc.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@shegou  You won't need a new sim unless you have a very old sim. Contacts aren't on the sim unless you save them on the sim.  Backup contacts to Google account if your old phone is Android too.

Need Help? Let's chat.