cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing charging port board on phone causes sim card to be disabled/not recognised

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My charging port on my Moto G7 Play is on its way out so I ordered a new board from Aliexpress (only place to find it without paying crazy shipping costs to Canada). My old board works fine but the pins are messed up so it could fail to charge basically at any time.

I purchased this board  but when I assemble everything it says no sim found in the Android quick menu and says sim disabled in the sim settings.

I got the US version that matches the shape of my existing board. Both antenna cables connect fine. Aside from some really small lettering on the boards I wouldn't know they were any different. Other boards just have connection for one antenna and are a different shape so they wouldn't fit.

Anyone know of any trickery I need to do to get this to work? or is it just a faulty part?

18 REPLIES 18

@raindog317   curious, you just replaced the charging board and not the whole motherboard of the phone?

raindog317
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I registered here JUST to reply to this.  You are not crazy!  This literally just happened to me.  I have 3 kids, all with moto G7 Power phones.  I have replaced 2 charge ports about a year ago no sweat.  The final phone finally had charging issues that no cleaning would solve, so I went to rebuy the other boards I got before and they were out.  So I just clicked the one from amazon that had next day delivery and called it done.  
I swapped the board on the phone and the charger worked GREAT!  Until I realized that my sons phone had no signal??  It said the SIM wasn't there.  There were no IMEI codes or anything!  I removed and re-added the sim.  I tried a sim from a siblings phone, I tried a different tray, I tried without the back on in case it was putting odd pressure somewhere after removal and adding back.  NONE of it worked.
In desperation I swapped the old board back in.  The SIM was IMMEDITEDLY detected and worked as if it had never stopped.  
It is absolutely something with the charge board.  Even though it is nooowhere near where the sim electronics are on this phone model.  
Crazy stuff. 

Tav

@dlambro They do carry a board for a Moto G7 Play variant but they either have the wrong thumbnail or its the incorrect part for my variant. I purchased my phone direct from Motorola,ca. The part is really difficult to find. 

Tav

@Nezgar The tray just takes a sim and a microsd. The sim does work with the original board so I don't think its an issue with the sim placement or tray. 

dlambro

You may be better off buying another board from a Canadian store, instead of going through ebay.  Did you check out esource?  I bought a charging port for my iPhone from them and it works great, delivery was fast too, only took 3 business days to get to my house.  Shipping was $2.99.  here is a link to their site, just in case you want to try another part for your phone: www.esourceparts.ca/parts/phone/motorola.html

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Tav  Does your moto G7 play have 2 sims like this? I'm sure you're putting it in the right slot (SIM1 vs SIM2)...  I setup a Huawei P30 for my wife a few months ago, and that phone uses an "NM Card" - which is basically a MicroSD card in a nanoSim size - and for a bit I couldn't figure out why her SIM card wasn't workin in her phone until I realized that I had the SIM in the NM slot....

moto-g6-play-simtray.jpg

@Tav 

I agree. If we ever get access to Fairphones we will all be much less dependant on the throwaway society we've become.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Fair-Trade-in-Canada/td-p/654863

Tav

@darlicious 

Thats what I'm thinking. I've already started a claim for a refund.

I'd probably have better luck buying a busted G7 Play on eBay and grabbing the part from that. 

@Tav 

Faulty part? It is from Aliexpress.

Tav

@LurganIeUk 

Did you reboot phone? Yes

Does work on wifi etc without sim? Yes

Does it work on wifi etc with the unrecognized sim? Yes

Do a full reset? I did a network reset but not a full phone reset

Did you reboot phone?

Does work on wifi etc without sim?

Does it work on wifi etc with the unrecognized sim?

Do  a full reset?

Tav

@LurganIeUk I didn't look at the instructions prior to just now. But yes. I have followed those instructions. 

I know I'm doing it correctly because I've tried both boards multiple times and the old one always picks up the sim. 

Tav

@will13am it's a completely different part that's nowhere near the sim. It does have two little antenna connectors that seem to connect correctly.

No SIM detection, and the loss of network connectivity, are issues that a lot of users have faced, particularly since the update to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat. This issue is also prevalent in the Dual SIM version of the phone, where one or both SIM slots don’t recognize the SIM card, or lose signal randomly, only to automatically turn back on.

Potential Solution –

• As far as SIM detection goes, the cause for this issue may be if you’ve poorly cut a regular SIM into a microSIM, or that the SIM you’ve cut is quite old. In that case, it’s best to replace your SIM card with a new microSIM card, and that seems to have worked for quite a lot of users.
  • Rebooting the device sometimes helps with the loss of network connectivity, but you’re stuck waiting for an official update from Motorola to completely resolve this issue. The latest update to Android 4.4.4 Kitkat have worked for some, but there are still a few users facing the problem, especially with the Dual-SIM version of the phone.
  • Another workaround that seems to work is to remove the SIM and insert a different working SIM. That seems to enable the SIM card slots and the phone works after replacing it with the original SIM.
  • If you’ve flashed a custom ROM, keep in mind that some ROMs don’t offer Dual-SIM support, so that may be a reason why your second SIM slot doesn’t work.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Tav , does the SIM tray alignment on the new board match the old one?  Would you be able to test out the SIM without assembling everything to make sure there is proper contact.  

Tav

Putting the old part back in picks up the sim just fine.

@Tav wrote:

My charging port on my Moto G7 Play is on its way out so I ordered a new board from Aliexpress (only place to find it without paying crazy shipping costs to Canada). My old board works fine but the pins are messed up so it could fail to charge basically at any time.

I purchased this board  but when I assemble everything it says no sim found in the Android quick menu and says sim disabled in the sim settings.

I got the US version that matches the shape of my existing board. Both antenna cables connect fine. Aside from some really small lettering on the boards I wouldn't know they were any different. Other boards just have connection for one antenna and are a different shape so they wouldn't fit.

Anyone know of any trickery I need to do to get this to work? or is it just a faulty part?

No SIM ususally means that a device can't physically see the SIM card. This could be a physical or electrical failure.

Need Help? Let's chat.