cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removed

BasesLoadedWalk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Removed because some people want to make politics about everything.

9 REPLIES 9

@darlicious 

Great comments. Precaution vs careless. It’s the careless whiner you will hear about. And no doubt the news story vs reality is two different stories. I would like to talk to that sim-jacked person.   

@hairbag1 wrote:

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

I thought it would be prudent to inform people here to not buy SIM cards for any provider on eBay, Facebook Marketplace, Kijiji, etc. Doing so has a large risk of getting SIM Card hi-jacked. A lot of sellers on eBay will post a SIM card for dirt cheap, or even free. These sellers could be logging all of the SIM card numbers they sell, and since they also end up with your name and address, this gives them a lot of the information they need to hi-jack your new Public Mobile account at a later time. Perhaps in an attempt to gain access to 2-Factor Authorization from your banks, etc. where they could do even more financial damage to you. I personally would only recommend getting a SIM card from official sources. 

Good information.

Seems like FB and Kiji type of venues are full of "hot merch". Several times a month there's a new post requesting info on how to unlock a phone someone's bought as unlocked but ended up being blacklisted after the sale.

Your advise is valid for sim cards and used phones as well.

If you ever want to buy a used phone, face to face only, I can give you a few websites to verify the phone. Along with some common sense to decide if seller is trustable and the merchandise is “not hot” for any type of product. Buyer beware....yes....but buyer has to be smart and take precautions. And “FULL of hot” stuff is an over exaggeration. 

@BasesLoadedWalk 

When purchasing from a private seller it is always buyer beware but if you do your homework it is reasonable to assume you are dealing with a legitimate seller.

Until the recent industry standard porting authorization protection text was brought in it was pretty easy to fraudently port out a phone number. As soon as the industry plugs one hole another hole opens up and along comes a high incidence of simjacking. Simjacking occurs via account access. Either by knowing the login username (email) and password. Or a password reset which is rarely done  as the simjacked individual can almost always log into their account.

More often than not simjacking is linked to paypal access and the likelihood that often the same email address and password are used for both their pm and paypal accounts. Your best protection against simjacking is to have a dedicated email for your pm account with a strong password and to keep your personal identifiers private and off the internet.

BasesLoadedWalk

I AM NOT CONFUSED!

And don’t believe over sensationalized unverified NEWS! Because a very careless (dim wit) person screwed up or has made a false claim or blame. 

As  much as I detest that guy in America, he is right about fake news. It is here too. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

How would they do this.  They have your address to mail the item and the SIM card number, maybe even an email but how would they log into your account?  I am not sure where the security issues 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

BasesLoadedWalk

Removed because some people just blow things out of proportion.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

And you think that every “official” retailer does not have a similar record? Including CCS. And every worker...janitor to manager at every retailer is honest?? And likely have access to that information on their system or garbage can?  And every other seller is dishonest? Do you have any facts?

That is why you have a PIN number. And I also suggest that you can change or alter your name and address on your My Account at PM. NO MATTER WHERE YOU BOUGHT YOUR SIM doing the latter is more important than giving shock warnings of people giving deals at any level...person to person...or online sales. All these people are spending $3 or $4 or $10 to help give a free SIM and allow the new customer to also gain $10 which allows them to build up their referral rewards. Any one doing that on eBay will lose their ability to sell. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

Good information.

Seems like FB and Kiji type of venues are full of "hot merch". Several times a month there's a new post requesting info on how to unlock a phone someone's bought as unlocked but ended up being blacklisted after the sale.

Your advise is valid for sim cards and used phones as well.

Need Help? Let's chat.