cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstall calling app

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

So.....the bf's "new" phone a galaxy S6 edge can make and recieve calls. His "reception" is fine but the caller just gets squealing and static and the odd word can be heard in the background but is completely useless. So ive managed to get my hands on the phone for a few minutes. While turning off all the background data and going thru all the apps i noticed he has no traditional phone app and as far as i can tell only has WhatsApp and nothing set as default. What would be the best suited phone app for this phone? What would have been the originally installed phone app?

Your help would be most appreciated....i haven't really done this before. Who uninstalls their calling app? Weird.

18 REPLIES 18

@Jb456 

First thing we did was a factory reset. It also puzzles me that calling on messenger is clear as a bell.

@darlicious 

See link below. Try the solutions one of which is a complete factory reset. 

https://thedroidguy.com/how-to-fix-a-galaxy-s6-microphone-problem-also-applies-for-galaxy-s6-edge-an...

Well i thought I had a temporary fix......sure temporary alright it worked once then reverted back to squeals and static. I'm going to try the hack the next time I get my hands on the phone.....not an easy task. I don't understand when it's so hard to pry the phone out of his hands that he can lose them so often!

@kb_mv 

I much less aware then you may think I am.....however for the sake of time and for whatever weird reason the suggested apps I could not find in the play store. How you can't find one own app in your own store I don't know?!! Anyhow I went with the dialer by simpler for now.

@computergeek541 

I won't be rooting any phones anytime soon but how and why the original phone app was uninstalled is beyond me but I'm going to consider @will13am simpler hack when i have a little more time with the phone. Figuring this out has also led me to be able to solve the MMS issue......correctly now at least .

@Anonymous 

Have you ever wondered about the long standing mystery of where, what, who, why and how those random left and/or right shoe clad floating feet have washed up in and around the georgia strait? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

As a responsible adult, he needs to get his own phone.  That which he gets for nothing is worth nothing.  

I'm tellin' ya...he's a gangster and he's using them as burner phones and tossing them into Burrard Inlet when the cops are too close. 🙂

As a responsible adult, he needs to get his own phone.  That which he gets for nothing is worth nothing.  

@will13am 

What is the point of splurging on a phone that has an average life span of 2 months in the bf's possession?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Totally agree with @computergeek541 , system apps which would include the dialer app cannot be uninstalled without root access.  It is not so simple to install the Google dialer app.  There's integration issues that need to be overcome.  Here's the hack for installing the Google dialer app in a Samsung phone.  It goes without saying, root is needed.  

Anyway, it would seem to me any issues with calling is likely hardware related.  The S6 is a dinosaur.  Nothing lasts forever.  Time to splurge on something current.  

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/get-googles-exclusive-phone-app-your-samsung-galaxy-device-01...

@DOA wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Thanks everyone.....the bf snagged his phone again while he exercises the dog so once I get it back I'll install and report back.

Call me crazy--everyone else does--but if the phone had a previous owner messing around with it, this might be an opportune time to do a factory reset.

Just be aware the reset wipes the phone clean.

The previous owner could have only done this if there was root access.  If the app is truly uninstalled, a factory reset wouldn't restore something that is no longer stored on the device. Installing an APK isn't difficult to do by sideloading, but unless it's marked as a system app, the next factory reset would also wipe out the calling app.  I would just use ODIN and reinstall a copy of the original Samsung ROM.  Doing this will wipe anything out on the device, and could permanently damage the device if something goes wrong during the process, so this is always at the user's risk.

@DOA 

Oh yes the first task was a factory reset.

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious wrote:

Thanks everyone.....the bf snagged his phone again while he exercises the dog so once I get it back I'll install and report back.

Call me crazy--everyone else does--but if the phone had a previous owner messing around with it, this might be an opportune time to do a factory reset.

Just be aware the reset wipes the phone clean.

@darlicious Normally the Samsung app is the default dialer on the Samsung phones. People add other ones that may have a better  (to Them) interface or that offers different features. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have two. I agree with you that I would reinstall the "factory" app and then find another one that he may like better. Default app is easy to change as I'm sure you are aware.

@gpixel 

Thank you.

@kb_mv 

Thank you.

I will look at both of these apps to see which is best but I'm leaning towards the Samsung app because im assuming it's what was originally installed on the phone. Unless it's a good idea to install both and have one set as the default? Opinions?

@benfatto 

As hard as the bf is on phones he can't take the blame for this one....this would be the previous owners fault.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious  Think you need a new bf. Anyone who manages to remove the standard phone app and can't figure out what to do, only knows enough to be dangerous. Hopefully, just to himself.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious download phone by google

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious wrote:

So.....the bf's "new" phone a galaxy S6 edge can make and recieve calls. His "reception" is fine but the caller just gets squealing and static and the odd word can be heard in the background but is completely useless. So ive managed to get my hands on the phone for a few minutes. While turning off all the background data and going thru all the apps i noticed he has no traditional phone app and as far as i can tell only has WhatsApp and nothing set as default. What would be the best suited phone app for this phone? What would have been the originally installed phone app?

Your help would be most appreciated....i haven't really done this before. Who uninstalls their calling app? Weird.

@darlicious I am surprised he was able to uninstall the Samsung phone app that came with the phone. Here is a list of possible alternatives:

https://www.mobileappdaily.com/best-dialer-apps

Need Help? Let's chat.