cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving tons of miscellaneous calls

Renfrew100
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I'm receiving alot of random miscellaneous calls. Some numbers are from British Columbia as it shows up on my phone. These include numbers: 1 604 -***** and 1 604 -****. Earlier on I received calls from Richmond Hill, ON: 1 905 -****, from Saskatoon, SK: 1 306 - *****, from Tobermory, ON: 1 519 - *****. Many more... i can see the locations and numbers on my phone.

How can I stop receiving calls from these random numbers? I attend the call.. no response for 10-15 seconds then hangs up... or it quickly hangs up after dialing my number so no chance to pick up the call. When I call back the line doesn't even go through and saying there is no service.

Thanks for your responses.

16 REPLIES 16

Keep in mind that when you "block" calls, all it does is trigger the conditional call forward to your voicemail. You can change the conditional call forwarding setting for "declined" calls to something other than your voicemail. That way declined or blocked calls are sent to lala land. And you don't have to use an app to answer and hang up the call. I wrote about this in a previous topic:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwarding-and-...

The three conditional forward, and "all calls" call forwarding options can be found in the forwarding settings in the phone app settings menus, or can easily be set manually such as the examples below:

• Dial *67*18080000000# - an invalid USA number - caller will get either endless ringing, or a fast busy if call is declined or blocked.
  • Dial *67*13065458171# - plays message "At the customers request, the number you have dialed is configured for outgoing calls only."

Unanswered calls, and calls while the phone is off the network will continue to go to voicemail as usual. Numbers you decline or are in the android reject list do not.

To reset back to public mobile default voicemail, dial ##67#

@helenhelen wrote:

I don't get random hangup calls, but lots of those scam calls (mostly in Chinese), which I just ignore. I tend to ignore the ringing phone, and then check voicemail later. However, it got to be super annoying checking vm as that was about 95% of my calls! I found they eventually died down after awhile since I never picked up... but then with COVID, started up again (probably bc of new scam possibilities with it!). I was going to resort to leaving an outgoing VM message saying that I do not check voicemail and to text or email me instead, or call back later and if I see the same # calling twice, I will know it is likely legit/important and pick up next time. If it gets bad again, I might do this since so few people leave voicemail for me anyway. I'dstart checking it again if I was looking for a job or expecting an urgent call.

Just a thought. I don’t know if this will work. Go into your Account and reset your voicemail. And DON’T follow up with finishing the process. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Renfrew100 wrote:

Hi,

I'm receiving alot of random miscellaneous calls. Some numbers are from British Columbia as it shows up on my phone. These include numbers: 1 604 -***** and 1 604 -****. Earlier on I received calls from Richmond Hill, ON: 1 905 -****, from Saskatoon, SK: 1 306 - *****, from Tobermory, ON: 1 519 - *****. Many more... i can see the locations and numbers on my phone.

How can I stop receiving calls from these random numbers? I attend the call.. no response for 10-15 seconds then hangs up... or it quickly hangs up after dialing my number so no chance to pick up the call. When I call back the line doesn't even go through and saying there is no service.

I have had this for years, so sorry to hear that you are experiencing it as well I have well over 90 numbers in my phone blocked. you can use your phone to block the number. If they don't leave a voicemail I generally will not pick it up because it gets so annoying. This isn't a PM issue its a world issue, scammers, spammers. Not wanting to be helpful but trying to rip people off so frustrating.

Hold in there and keep blocking!

cheers

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can block the numbers

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't get random hangup calls, but lots of those scam calls (mostly in Chinese), which I just ignore. I tend to ignore the ringing phone, and then check voicemail later. However, it got to be super annoying checking vm as that was about 95% of my calls! I found they eventually died down after awhile since I never picked up... but then with COVID, started up again (probably bc of new scam possibilities with it!). I was going to resort to leaving an outgoing VM message saying that I do not check voicemail and to text or email me instead, or call back later and if I see the same # calling twice, I will know it is likely legit/important and pick up next time. If it gets bad again, I might do this since so few people leave voicemail for me anyway. I'dstart checking it again if I was looking for a job or expecting an urgent call.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Renfrew100 wrote:

Hi,

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different number than the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL IS TO CONTROL YOURSELF.

Keep your contact lists up to date AND  block, block and block some more!!

?Changing your number is not a good idea if it was previously used. ?

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone see here. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 7.58.08 PM.png

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I end up googling the number to see what it is, then block based on what I find... Never answer even local numbers if it's someone I don't know. I know it's a free call but I just don't want to lol

@JoyLuck wrote:

Add them  to your reject list on the phone and then add your number to the do not call list:

https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en

This will help if the companies calling are following the rules. However, there are many exceptions and companies that have exemptions do not have to honor the request not be called based on that last.  Also, registering won't hep with companies that are not following the rules or that are calling form outside of Canada. 

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Renfrew100, I was curious, and did a reverse lookup of the numbers:

604 - 506 - 6760Rogers Mobile Vancouver, BC
604 - 792 - 2906
TelusLandlineChilliwack, BC
905 - 787 - 4241
BellLandlineRchmond Hill, ON
306 - 382 - 3653
SaskTelLandline Saskatoon, SK
519 - 596 - 6899
AmtelecomLandline Tobermory, ON

I never call them back, unless I block my numbers from their caller ID. You could do, what I did when I was younger and vindictive, I would call them and then crank my music into the phone. Nobody called me again! 

The easiest way is to block it. Or if you don't recognize the number, let it go to voicemail. When they get the voicemail message, they will notice the new voice and know this isn't that person's phone number anymore too. 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Renfrew100 Also, add you number into Do-Not-Call list.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Renfrew100 you probably ended up with someones old phone number or a business' number. just block them one by one like everyone else has said. i don't know what type of phone you have, but if its a newer smartphone you should be able to mark it as spam caller and block them before even picking it up or you can do it after if there is no response.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Renfrew100 

Is this your new number?

When did it start?

You can block them, you can ignore them, you can change your number once every 30 days.

You can try to wait it out, when you get 'lucky' it lasts for about 2 weeks then it starts showing down, it helps if you don't answer

Also there is no guarantees that the new number won't be plagued with the same

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Renfrew100  Block the numbers and never call back. Once you do that you get on the spammers VIP live number list!!

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Sorry to hear that this happened to you @Renfrew100. Block the calls individually, place your phone on receive calls from contact list only or change your phone number if you aren't attached to it. If it were me, I would just block the calls. Stay safe. 

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Add them  to your reject list on the phone and then add your number to the do not call list:

https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en

Need Help? Let's chat.