cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No data connection, cannot reset APN,any ideas?

lokiguy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You can't change anything with the apn.its all greyed out.

30 REPLIES 30

RDS1977

Sigh so I not my replacement phone and it's the same issue. They're either sending me the wrong phone or the advertising is false. Question, does anyone know how to access "world mode" in engineer mode? I don't see it listed anywhere, apparently if you change the world code you can open all the LTE bands

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@RDS1977 

Aha....now that makes sense. When you get the international version it should work just fine.

RDS1977

Ok here's the update, I used MTK engineer mode to select my band....lo and behold there's not a single North America band listed in the phone...All EU bands, I told them they sent me the wrong phone when I saw an EU charger....turns out I was right. The phone is not Global at all

RDS1977

I used LTE discovery on my ulefone and the oukitel. The ulefone is on B2 and will switch Bands depending on where I am in the house but the oukitel is stuck on B7 no matter where I move to

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@RDS1977 

Well the specs say it's compatible. Maybe @sheytoon can shed some light on your situation?

https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/79dd5a64

RDS1977

It's an oukitel WP20 Pro

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@RDS1977 

Can you give us the exact model # so we can double check the specs?

RDS1977

Yes has both and yet no service. I have a Ulefone that has full bars and that phone has less bands than the oukitel 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@RDS1977 

Does your phone have 3G networks? Specifically B2 and/or B5? You need at least one of these two bands to use pm voice services until they implement VoLTE (soon hopefully). If you are in Winnipeg or Brandon you only have one band (B2) for voice service.

RDS1977

Ok so pardon my ignorance, but I just realized APN settings have nothing to do with cellular service.  APN info is fine as I have data service but I can't make or receive calls. I have no bars but 4G is showing on my oukitel so I can use aps, surf etc. I ordered a North America version but it came with an EU plug?? So could that be the reason I have no service?? Frequency bands are covered but can say B2 be different here than it is in EU? I thought a frequency is a frequency. Anyway I'm stumped so I guess the phone is going back

@RDS1977   the Freedom sim is to use to "unlock" the edit or create new option of the APN.  From members' experience, some phone does not open up the APN editing or create new option but a Freedom sim card helps.  However, the new settings shouldn't save the APN to the sim card, it should save it on the phone

Not sure if you edit existing APN or created new, can you try both ways?

RDS1977

Sorry, I'm confused as to how this is supposed to work. I use a Freedom mobile sim to edit the APN. But the APN saves to the sim, not the phone so when I change back to my sim for actual service that information doesn't exist. Am I missing something? The freedom sim can't be used on the network so what's the point of it all?

RDS1977

Umm ok then what? I put my sim in and my new APN disappeared 

RDS1977

I actually haven't tried it yet. Just confirming whether it needed to be an activated sim. I'm going to pick one up today and hope it works like it says. My OS is android 12

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@lokiguy 

Holy Moly I'm glad that worked for you a little more than 2 years ago....thanks for the follow up!

@RDS1977 

What is your OS?

RDS1977

Awesome thanks 

@RDS1977   no, any Freedom sim should be able to make the APN setting editable again

then just create a new APN settings for PM:

APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username: <blank>
Password: <blank>
Server:
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS Port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN Type: default,supl,mms

or    default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

(might need to include dun for hotspot)
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled

or  Turn APN on/off APN turned on

Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator) type: GID
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator)value: 4D

RDS1977

I just got an oukitel does the freedom sim need to be activated?

lokiguy

Yes, a Freedom mobile sim card is needed to change the apn on my Oukitel WP6.Everything works now.

@lokiguy 

This thread may have a solution for you if a freedom sim is not accessible to you or does not work.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Unable-to-configure-APN-settings/m-p/...

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

So this phone is compatible with public mobile and @lokiguy probably needs a roam(hard to find now) or freedom sim card to add the APN  to his phone?

I must have look at a different website before when I said not compatible, but the official Oukitel website does say it's comptabile with Public Mobile.

https://oukitel.com/pages/oukitel-wp6-specs

Also, compatibility has already been estabilished as the OP has already said that the phone works for calls and text messages.

Yes, this would appear to be a case of the software on the phone locking changes or additions to APN settings. If anyone is wondering, phone manufactuers do have full control of this.  Some phones running Android 8.1 do not allow adding of a new APN while others do. I believe that people need to stop blaming Public Mobile for this (not talking about the OP of this thread but in general).  It's entirely the fault of the phone manufactuers. Even if Google had a hand in this, it didn't prevent some other device manufactuers from overrriding this setting to allow new APNs to be added.

@computergeek541 

So this phone is compatible with public mobile and @lokiguy probably needs a roam(hard to find now) or freedom sim card to add the APN  to his phone?

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

I messed up my copy and paste....but I'm confused willmyphonework says no..? Are 700 and 1700 not necessary?

700MHz and 1700MHz have never been a requirement to use Public Mobile services. It's ideal to have them for LTE, but all services (exccept for emergency alerts) will still work if your phone only connects to HSPA.

Band 4 and band 7 have only been used by Public Mobile for LTE. They are not used for HSPA. Public Mobile uses band 2 and band 5 for HSPA.

@computergeek541 

I messed up my copy and paste....but I'm confused willmyphonework says no..? Are 700 and 1700 not necessary?

@darlicious wrote:

@lokiguy 

Your phone is good rugged phone that isn't designed for the North American market.and is missing bandz 700 and 1700 to begin with and isn't HSPA compatible. 

2G: GSM: B2(1900)/B3(1800)/B5(850)/B8(900)

3G: WCDMA: B1(2100)/B2(1900)/B5(850)/B8(900)

4G: FDD-TLE: B1(2100)/B2(1900)/B3(1800)/B5(850)/B7(2600)/B8(900)/B20(800)

TDD-LTE: B34(2100)/B38(2600)/B39(1900)/B40(2300)/B41(2500)

SIM Card Slots: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by), Supports 1 nano-SIM + 1 nano-SIM

LTE is not a requirement for any of Public Mobile's services.

Also, the specifications that you have provided say that this phone is HSPA compatible with Public Mobile. The OP has also stated that phone calls are working, which wouldn't be possible if the phone didn't have that compatibility.

@lokiguy 

Your phone is good rugged phone that isn't designed for the North American market.and is missing bandz 700 and 1700 to begin with.....oops corrected by @computergeek541 .

2G: GSM: B2(1900)/B3(1800)/B5(850)/B8(900)

3G: WCDMA: B1(2100)/B2(1900)/B5(850)/B8(900)

4G: FDD-TLE: B1(2100)/B2(1900)/B3(1800)/B5(850)/B7(2600)/B8(900)/B20(800)

TDD-LTE: B34(2100)/B38(2600)/B39(1900)/B40(2300)/B41(2500)

SIM Card Slots: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by), Supports 1 nano-SIM + 1 nano-SIM

However......

Oukitel U6  

Canada Public Mobile
2G Network:

X

3G Network:

X

4G LTE Network:

✔

Device not compatible
Band7-2600MHz

lokiguy

It works for everything except mobile data.

lokiguy

Sorry, yes it is a WP6.

@lokiguy wrote:

I've tried a different sim and it still doesn't work.i have the oukitel w6.

I can't find any information about an Oukitel W6.  Is it an Oukitel WP6?  If it is, the information that I've found says that this device is not compatible with Public Mobile.

lokiguy

I've tried a different sim and it still doesn't work.i have the oukitel w6.

Need Help? Let's chat.