cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF Radiation

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Should I be concerned regarding cell towers RF radiation?

Should I be concerned regarding MY PHONE’s RF radiation?

Will I lower RF radiation in my vicinity if I keep my phone in ‘airplane mode’?

I guess my phone is not radiating anything if it is completely off, or am I wrong?

I did read few articles regarding RF radiation and watched some videos when they did measurements but would still like to hear your opinion.

I keep my phone with me all the time except at night (pocket or waist pack/bag) as I use wellness app to track my daily activity so phone is close to my and that concerns me.

13 REPLIES 13

Just to give you guys some context, commercial AM and FM radio stations transmit at 10,000W and higher.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2006/db2006-117.htm

https://www.broadcasting-history.ca/listing_and_histories/radio/chum-fm

On May 24, testing began from the brand new CN Tower at 301 Front Street West. CHUM-FM began broadcasting officially from the tower at 12:01 a.m. on May 31. Effective radiated power was now 40,000 watts. Antenna height was now 1,380 feet.

pkara01
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Bluetooth I am really really concerned about. Extensive daily use over the years can cause certain mutations which can be cancerous. 

Wired ones are still the better options.

@softech wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

Also, most people nowadays don't talk as much with a phone next to their head. 

Bluetooth.. another thing I am worry about.. those Bluetooth earpieces.  I understand they are supposed to be safe.. but so close to the ear.  Also, these days, the cheap one like $20 a pair.. are their really safe?  Would a cheaply made one be more dangerous?

Wired headphones/earphones/headsets and speakerphone (in some cases) are options. Saying that, you can't eliminate all the radio waves as its all around us.

@softech  just googled this:

"Most Bluetooth headsets and headphones transmit at 2.5 mW with a range of 10 meters."

... vs the 200mW maximum mentioned earlier by @sheytoon that could go 20+KM for a regular cellular network transmission. 1/100th the power...

@Nezgar wrote:

Also, most people nowadays don't talk as much with a phone next to their head. 

Bluetooth.. another thing I am worry about.. those Bluetooth earpieces.  I understand they are supposed to be safe.. but so close to the ear.  Also, these days, the cheap one like $20 a pair.. are their really safe?  Would a cheaply made one be more dangerous?

Thanks @darlicious. The bad news is still sinking in. I knew it was same cancer that killed John McCain but not the other two. 

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

I am sorry to hear about your family member's diagnosis. This is the same cancer that killen John McCain, Bo Biden and Gord Downie. A healthy low sugar diet high in certain fruits and vegetables and a positve mind set are helpful in extending life expectancy and quality of life. My thoughts are with you and your family.

For the phone transmit power, it's limited to 23 dBm, which is 200mW during poor signal conditions. If you're not using your phone, it'll be idle and not transmitting much power.

Phone transmit power is measured and regulated by a value called SAR.

Cell tower transmit power is measured and regulated by Safety Code 6.

By the time the radiated signal gets to your phone, it's VERY low power, well under 1mW (0 dBm).

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11467.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/health-risks-safety/limits-human-exposu...

The frequency used for cellular transmission is non-ionizing radiation. There is no evidence of cancer or harmful effects.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hairbag1 : aka tin foil hat 🙂

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Yummy...gogle "Faraday bag"...see if it isn't something you can make use of.

@Nezgar 

Ironically I have been thinking of this a lot this past week. I agree with what you have said, the oldest cell phones would seem much much more likely to have caused these sort of problems than the new ones and many/most of us talk less and use the screen more which keeps it away from our head. Of course you can never rule out anything and it is difficult to prove the cause conclusively as well.

Also as mentioned, it isn’t JUST the cell phone but the Cell Site as well to be concerned about. I have seen apartment buildings with cell antennas on the roof directly above, I think I would avoid living there if possible.

Less than a week ago a close relative was diagnosed with  a brain cancer called Glioblastoma. He likely has about 3 months to live. It is a rare cancer and the cause isn’t really known. I can’t help thinking back to late 80’s when he was the first person I knew of to carry a Motorola Brick phone with him everywhere. Who knows but might that have played a roll in his diagnosis?

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh dear. There are radio waves _everywhere_ these days...let alone the giant ball of radiation coming from the local star.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Do what you like, but after 30 years of cellular radiation studies, theres never been a conclusive link to cancer.

Of course if you look you'll find lots of non-credible sites that claim otherwise.

In the early days of analog cellular bag phones, they could transmit up to 5 watts. Since going digital around 21 years ago, transmit levels are usually a max of 100 MILLIwatts, or less. The phone will automatically use the minimum transmit power that the tower can still detect - spectrum and battery efficient. The power levels today are 1/500th of that in the past....

Also, most people nowadays don't talk as much with a phone next to their head. If there was any concern about brain cancer, it would have been back when you had those high power analog phones which are long gone...

Need Help? Let's chat.