cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RETURN OF THE FLIP PHONE

joyfulrebellion
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Community, 

One of my New Years “Resolutions” is to shift my experience of the current culture surrounding communication. I am en route to transitioning to an old school flip phone where I can call and hear the people I Love’s human voices and keeping all other visual communications on my laptop. 

Has anyone else made this sweet step backwards technologically? And, will I still be able to use a Public Mobile SIM card in this transition?

Thank you for your input! 

Be well, be brave, do good

34 REPLIES 34

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

aw man I used to love my samsung flip phones, they were so solid, no matter how many times you dropped them or even threw them nothing would happen to them haha. I also find that they used to have a stronger signals.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@joyfulrebellion 

I've always been fond of flip phones. Simple software without bloat and lag and distractions. Awesome battery life. Bulkier radio hardware for more robust signal. Bulkier speaker and mic hardware for clearer audio, plus the form factor positions them quite optimally. Real buttons with real tactile feedback. Some models seem nearly indestructible. A few models even have a charging port far more durable than the usual failure-prone flimsy little micro-USB.

Alas, text on T9 keypad is a slow and frustrating experience. I prefer talk but the reality is that most people prefer text so a flip phone just isn't workable. And though I use mobile data very sparingly (when not needed for work), I've found that flip phone internet is too inconvenient for stuff like looking up addresses or maps or prices.

But congrats on freeing yourself from your online shackles. 😁

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @joyfulrebellion ,

Good on you, for reals!

FYI-

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:
  • 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).
Please note that this information is indicative only. Your phone's compatibility with our 4G or 4G LTE networks is based on the radio frequencies of your phone. Public Mobile does not guarantee that your phone will work on our mobile network.

bw0
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just watch that you don't back step too far. There are refurbished and even new off-brand flip phones around that are only 2G. You can't use those with Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.