cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS is finally here!

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

It's about time RCS takes place on Android phones. As per this source, Telus has rolled it out for Google Pixel 2, 2 XL, 3, and 3 XL. Hopefully, it will roll out to more devices soon.

I have confirmed it is also available on Public Mobile and most likely Koodo as well. I haven't verified if it actually works because i don't know anyone with RCS enabled on their phone. But most certainly, the service is currently active on my Pixel 3 🙂

Screenshot_20190829-215652.png

Public Mobile have posted more details on what they refer to it as "Next Generation Messaging"

Spoiler
Next Generation Messaging
Google has added Rich Communication Services (RCS) to Android Messages. RCS is the next generation of messaging technology and improves your messaging by offering a native, richer and universal experience across networks and android devices.Next Generation (Next-Gen) messaging works on select Android devices. It gives you some sweet new features in select conversations including:

• Group chats
  • Read and delivered receipts
  • High-resolution photo and video sharing
  • Audio messaging
  • Being able to send location
What You Need
To be able to take advantage of Next-Gen messaging, you will need the following:
  • A compatible phone (currently next generation messaging is available on Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL)
  • A Public Mobile plan with data, or an active Wi-Fi connection
  • Android 5.1 Lollipop or higher
  • Android Messages 4.3 or higher
How To Turn It On:
It’s super simple to switch on Next-Gen messaging, just follow the steps below:
  1. Open Android Messages
  2. Select Settings
  3. Select Chat Features
  4. Toggle Enable Chat Features On
Heads up: When Next-Gen Messaging is provisioned for the first time on a compatible device, you will be prompted to enable the chat features.

FAQ’s
1 - Will my device automatically use Next-Gen messaging?
When chat features are turned on, it will automatically be used if you are messaging another device with chat features enabled.
2 - Will next generation messaging use my Wi-Fi or Data?
Next-Gen Messaging sends messages over Wi-Fi or cellular data when Wi-Fi is unavailable, rather than through traditional SMS. This means, if you do not have a data plan and are not connected to Wi-Fi, your messages will be sent as SMS, or you may incur pay-per-use data charges when using Next-Gen Messaging.
3 - Can I just use next generation when i am connected to Wi-Fi?
If you only want to use Next-Gen Messaging in a Wi-Fi connected area, please ensure you turn chat features off when leaving a Wi-Fi connected area to avoid unexpected data charges.Learn more about Next-Gen messaging and chat features with Google.

42 REPLIES 42

@maheshboloor wrote:

@will13am True. Google had a huge opportunity here to just have a 'imesasge' and 'facetime' kinda default app on Android. They dropped the ball there. I am no Apple fan but you got to give props to imesssage and facetime. Those two apps are incredible. 

Google tried, i dont know, how many apps - hangouts , google duo etc. Even though they had great potential, they just couldnt get people to use it. 

Whatsapp came in and literally took over the messaging/video chat app share specailly on android.

What is so special about iMessages other than apple users know about it and they actually use it.  The biggest barrier to app use is knowledge of its existence and capabilities.  A month ago, I visited a friend who did not know that Whatsapp can do voice and video chat.  I know it is hard to imagine but these things happen.  We tried a call and he was amazed by the quality and the cost (free).  If all users were fully knowledgable, we could literally do away with SMS and calling.  These could be 100% replaced by existing apps. 

maheshboloor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@fatherburger wrote:

Where RCS is really useful, is with buisness. With RCS, you can even order some products, without leaving the messages app. Other companies will be able to show more info. For example, expedia will show confirmation details, a picture of your hotel, and some other links to see more..

@maheshboloor wrote:

@NDesai RCS is great but realistically speaking how many of you still use regular texting to communicate with your freinds and family on Android? 

From my experience, 99% of my contacts use other messaging apps. I only use regular text for verification passwords from banks and other services which do not take advantage of RCS at all. I personally feel like RCS was introduced way too late on Android to be widely used. Iphone users always had imessage which had most (if not all) features from years.

@fatherburger The business use case you mentioned is interesting. I would like to see how that would work.

maheshboloor

@jor123 wrote:

@maheshboloor wrote:

@NDesai RCS is great but realistically speaking how many of you still use regular texting to communicate with your freinds and family on Android? 

From my experience, 99% of my contacts use other messaging apps. I only use regular text for verification passwords from banks and other services which do not take advantage of RCS at all. I personally feel like RCS was introduced way too late on Android to be widely used. Iphone users always had imessage which had most (if not all) features from years.

I use SMS all the time, as do most people I know in North America.

@jor123 Guess i am mistaken then. Apologies.

fatherburger
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Where RCS is really useful, is with buisness. With RCS, you can even order some products, without leaving the messages app. Other companies will be able to show more info. For example, expedia will show confirmation details, a picture of your hotel, and some other links to see more..

@maheshboloor wrote:

For those who want to find out more... here is a pretty good primer on RCS and Google https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/17/18681573/google-rcs-chat-android-texting-carriers-imessage-encryp...

There are probably a few things to work on like encryption but it is a good step.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@maheshboloor wrote:

I use SMS all the time, as do most people I know in North America.

maheshboloor

@will13am True. Google had a huge opportunity here to just have a 'imesasge' and 'facetime' kinda default app on Android. They dropped the ball there. I am no Apple fan but you got to give props to imesssage and facetime. Those two apps are incredible. 

Google tried, i dont know, how many apps - hangouts , google duo etc. Even though they had great potential, they just couldnt get people to use it. 

Whatsapp came in and literally took over the messaging/video chat app share specailly on android.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@maheshboloor wrote:

I have heard that Texting is still used quite a bit in the US. 

@maheshboloor wrote:

From my experience, 99% of my contracts use other messaging apps. I only use regular text for verification passwords from banks and other services which do not take advantage of RCS at all. I personally feel like RCS was introduced way too late on Android to be widely used. Iphone users always had imessage which had most (if not all) features from years.

Totally agree, it is a day late and a dollar short.  Carriers are to blame for foot dragging.  Even now, this works on only a very short list of phones. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I wish I could get excited when there are 21st century platforms that are not carrier influenced that does all the things that RCS brings.  Try Whatsapp, telegram, signal to name a few.

maheshboloor

GR
Mayor / Maire

That's great!  Hopefully they'll enable it on samsung phones too in the near future 

Need Help? Let's chat.