cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing phones from the US and using them with public mobile.

Sdelo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is not a question but more of a statement, I purchased a phone which came from the US. Threw a SIM card in it and it works fine with public mobile. A lot of phones are completely unlocked now and if anybody was curious about purchasing a phone from the US, most do work with public mobile here in Canada with no issue. It used to be that phones had to be carrier specific.

11 REPLIES 11

@Meow 

The make and more specifically the model will indicate where the phone was manufactured for use.  If its made for a domestic market other than the one the user intends to use it in it may not be compatible. So a Samsung S7 is normally a compatible phone but if it's made for the domestic market of Turkey then it may not be.

dingaling
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Carrier's phone protection. Makes sense to me.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv wrote:

Still a good idea for people to check the Make and Models though when using with PM. 

I do not see PM listing compatible phones; just frequency mentioned...

Will CSA will be able to help if somebody asks for particular model compatibility (if community does not know)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sdelo 

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Good Luck

@Yummy wrote:

@softech wrote:

yup .. it depends on the brands and carrier

Understood!

But if somebody is not able update phone's OS does not mean phone will stop working, correct.

It might not have latest 'security' updates or whatever fancy features newer OS brings but it continue to work as a phone.

I am stuck with Android v7.1.1 and no chances or way to go higher and I am OK with that.

Yup.. don't get it wrong.. your phone will still work. just might not be the latest Android version.. and again, not all unlock phones like that.. really depends.  

🙂

@softech wrote:

yup .. it depends on the brands and carrier

Understood!

But if somebody is not able update phone's OS does not mean phone will stop working, correct.

It might not have latest 'security' updates or whatever fancy features newer OS brings but it continue to work as a phone.

I am stuck with Android v7.1.1 and no chances or way to go higher and I am OK with that.

@Yummy   yup .. it depends on the brands and carrier

this was an example from someone unable to update an AT&T LG unlocked phone

How to update Android on AT&T unlocked phone - Community (publicmobile.ca)

My Motorola is from USA but I never had any OS update issues. Of course, updates have stopped due to phone's age but I believe as long as phone is unlocked and supports carrier's frequencies it should work and continue to work.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Sdelo  Yes, US unlocked phone generally works in Canada without issue. 

But some phone sold by US carrier might not have OS update.   OS updates on Android phones sold by carriers are very often pushed by carrier.    While the phone might be unlocked,  there is a chance that carrier still lock that part of the phone and updates still have be been obtained while the phone is on their network.   It was legal and carrier has the right to do so.  We have couple posts about the trouble for getting no more OS upgrade now.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Sdelo wrote:

This is not a question but more of a statement, I purchased a phone which came from the US. Threw a SIM card in it and it works fine with public mobile. A lot of phones are completely unlocked now and if anybody was curious about purchasing a phone from the US, most do work with public mobile here in Canada with no issue. It used to be that phones had to be carrier specific.

@Sdelo 

That's good. 🙂

Still a good idea for people to check the Make and Models though when using with PM. 

Important features for usability are:

• 3G: WCDMA 2 and 5 bands  makes the phone compatible, which is needed for phone calls, and can also be used for text messaging and data.
  • LTE can be used for text messaging and data.

Dtack
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Sdelo  - thanks for the tip, that may be worth looking into!  Happy Thanksgiving!

Need Help? Let's chat.