cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public mobile compatibility with Iphone 11?

Tumbleleaf
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So I recently upgraded from an Iphone 7 plus to an Iphone 11 and I've run into a couple issues already. It's my first time upgrading to the shiny, newest model of iphone but I'm starting to regret it : 

_the LTE + cell reception signal keeps flickering on and off 

_had to manually enter the APN settings because the ones automatically filled out didn't let me connect to the internet (LTE signal visible but no access?)
_iPhone keeps restarting when idle.. Don't know if that's linked but since it's a brand new phone, unlocked... I'm wondering if I shouldn't try to ask for a new sim card?

My OS is up to date, My apps are updated, and I already has iOS13 on my previous phone with no problem.

when I mentioned those issues at the Apple store, the clerk kind of shrugged and told me I should go to Bell, Fido or a bigger provider because Public isn't really on their radar so... No help there.

I guess my question is: has anyone run into these connectivity issues? And does anyone know how long it usually takes Public to have a patch ready for the newest phone models? 

8 REPLIES 8

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@TumbleleafDid you start from a backup or from a brand new setup? I would suggest start from a brand new setup.

LTE would flicker on and off is you are on talk mode (which is 3G with Public Mobile).

You shuldn't need to enter APN information, it should be automatic.

You do have 15 days to return the phone to Apple.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Tumbleleaf Before making the trek back to Apple why not do a factory reset and start over from scratch. When doing so be sure you are within range of wifi service in case the PM SIM has failed. It would be very unusual for the phone to be incompatible with PM; I am running iOS 13.1 without issue.

If it still is wonky, reboot with the SIM installed and see what message appears on the phone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Tumbleleaf

@Luddite I unfortunately traded my older model for that new one so I can't put my sim back in it :/. I tried looking for the carrier update but there wasn't any (I assumed because the OS / phone model are too recent).
I bought the new one at the Apple Store, and I'm going back tonight to swap it while it's still under warranty... but I'm not sure that's going to do the trick. 

@Luddite wrote:

@Tumbleleaf 2 quick suggestions:

a) put the SIM back into the old phone to locate the issues to your new phone or PM service,

b) go to Settings >> General >> About: if a carrier update is offered install it.

Don't bother trying to modify APN settings; they are only installed automatically on iPhones.

Where did you buy the new phone?

@Tumbleleaf  You need to follow @Luddite  advice because on an iPhone the APN settings get set automatically.

Tumbleleaf

Sure, here you go:

8E9FF60F-A5C3-4AE7-9CA9-59422F33445C.png

after talking with public mobile support, I typed in what the bot suggested (which was sp.mb.com) and it worked but the signal is spotty now.

@Tumbleleaf Not likely related to this issue but I highly recommend forbes for iOS update decisions: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/09/28/apple-ios-13-1-1-release-should-you-upgrade-ipho...

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Tumbleleaf 2 quick suggestions:

a) put the SIM back into the old phone to locate the issues to your new phone or PM service,

b) go to Settings >> General >> About: if a carrier update is offered install it.

Don't bother trying to modify APN settings; they are only installed automatically on iPhones.

Where did you buy the new phone?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Tumbleleaf  Can you post a screenshot of the APN settings were automatically assigned by your phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.