cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile has their own CSC code, PMB!

stevester911
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Recently switched over to PM from VM with my wife who has an Samsung Galaxy S9. To get rid of the bloatware that was installed by VM I thought to change the CSC back to XAC (the default multi-csc sales code for Canada aka the sales code of devices purchased directly from Samsung and prior to their carrier customization). Lo and behold, with the public mobile sim card installed the phone selected the PMB csc and not the generic XAC. I´ve done some searching online and couldn´t find any references to the PMB csc so I just wanted to let everyone know that it does in fact exist for the S9!

I repeated the experiment on my S7 edge however it remained on the XAC csc as PMB is not (yet?) available for this device.

Here´s hoping that this means my wife will receive updates in a timeline manner without any of the bloatware of other carriers 🙂

5 REPLIES 5

Barth
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know WTH this is even talking about!

If you own, or are likely to purchase, a Samsung Galaxy that you might root, the article that I referenced above provides a comprehensive—if a little oldguide to the whys and wherefores of using CSC codes.

Otherwise dontworryboutit

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dumbdobie1 wrote:

Wow I guess things are looking up if PM has their own CSC code. It seems like they are doing well and our plans will be here long term.

I don't know WTH this is even talking about!

dumbdobie1

Wow I guess things are looking up if PM has their own CSC code. It seems like they are doing well and our plans will be here long term.

stevester911
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My experience has been that with custom ROM's my NFC payment apps (i.e. CIBC mobile payments, Samsung Pay, Google Pay, etc) did not work. With that being said, the standard banking features worked just fine (i.e. checking balances and whatnot).

Also in case anyone is curious, on most newer Canadian Samsung devices, you can change your CSC by dialing *#243203855# and selecting your Canadian CSC of choice. Note: Do this at your own risk! You need to make sure that you backup everything before you do this as your phone will be factory reset! I would also backup my SD card as there's a chance that it could get wiped/become inaccessible in the process.

Barth

How interesting.

https://www.droidviews.com/how-to-enable-hidden-csc-features-on-samsung-galaxy-devices-with-root-acc...

Knowing this makes me more likely to consider purchasing a Samsung device in the future. For the present, I am content to install LineageOS on my devices. I do wonder if my use of a custom ROM will restrict me from financial apps in the future.

Need Help? Let's chat.