cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile data plan and iPad compatibility

Simon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi!

Is there any know incompatibility between the iPad and Public Mobile data plans?

I recently received a new Tri-Sim from Public Mobile, and subscribed to a data plan. I was able to successfully test it in both an Andoroid phone, and an iPhone 6; I simply had to configure the correct Data APN in the devices settings, and voila.

I tried to same thing on a cellular iPad mini 2 (those are always unlocked). The simcard is recognized by the device, and I get "Public Mobile 3G", with 3/5 dots for the signal strength, in the top left corner of the screen. The APN is configured correctly, like I did with the other devices.

But, I can't access the Internet. All I get is: "Could not activate cellular data network".

One strange thing: Under "Settings -> Cellular Data", I have a "View Account" menu. When I access it, I get: "Cellular Data Account: The  system has encountered an error or is not available. Please try again later or call customer care", with a Telus logo.

It looks like the iPad confuse the Public Mobile Sim for one of those iPad "special" Sim you can get from Telus/Rogers/Bell, and activate/pre-pay for directly from the iPad.

Anyone seen this before? Is there an known workaround?

Thanks!

60 REPLIES 60
Need Help? Let's chat.