cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile data plan and iPad compatibility

Simon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi!

Is there any know incompatibility between the iPad and Public Mobile data plans?

I recently received a new Tri-Sim from Public Mobile, and subscribed to a data plan. I was able to successfully test it in both an Andoroid phone, and an iPhone 6; I simply had to configure the correct Data APN in the devices settings, and voila.

I tried to same thing on a cellular iPad mini 2 (those are always unlocked). The simcard is recognized by the device, and I get "Public Mobile 3G", with 3/5 dots for the signal strength, in the top left corner of the screen. The APN is configured correctly, like I did with the other devices.

But, I can't access the Internet. All I get is: "Could not activate cellular data network".

One strange thing: Under "Settings -> Cellular Data", I have a "View Account" menu. When I access it, I get: "Cellular Data Account: The  system has encountered an error or is not available. Please try again later or call customer care", with a Telus logo.

It looks like the iPad confuse the Public Mobile Sim for one of those iPad "special" Sim you can get from Telus/Rogers/Bell, and activate/pre-pay for directly from the iPad.

Anyone seen this before? Is there an known workaround?

Thanks!

60 REPLIES 60

@JanTanton wrote:

...in the online PM instructions, it shows the APN setting to be "SP.MB,COM" vs. "sp.mb.com" which is the correct setting.

Be sure that there is no comma after the mb, but a period instead.

Which page has the comma? This one looks correct: (unless it was just edited)

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/sk/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-iphone

It is indeed written in that article in uppercase, but it shouldn't matter...

@JanTanton wrote:

I am new to PM and was able to set up three phones and successfully transfer from my previous provider as well as move the old phone numbers over to my PM account, but needed to use 4 separate email accounts etc. 

My challenge was ordering the data plan and setting up my iPad with the data plan, getting the cellular network to function. It seems to work with the change on the APN setting, however, in the online PM instructions, it shows the APN setting to be "SP.MB,COM" vs. "sp.mb.com" which is the correct setting.

As for the other settings that are prescribed, I cannot even see those on my tablet anywhere.

What does concern me is that it lists the iPad as being on a 3G network vs. a 4LTE and since we are paying for the 4LTE...just wondering if anyone has any input into this?

Thanks

@Luddite  @will13am @mimmo  @computergeek541 

The info @JanTanton  has brought up regarding the APN settings being incorrect on the public mobile site is a valid point. Could one of you look into getting it corrected? Thx

@JanTanton  FYI in future you should post your question and start a new thread so you get immeadiate attention on the main page and dedicated answers. I happened upon your post by chance after reading your post in today's flash sale thread. Thinking you were another member I checked your profile and came upon this post.

Anyhow has your iPad switched to 4G? Apple products are not my area of expertise but @iPhoneUser  could help out in this area. Curiously if your iPad takes a sim card would it not be better value to have a plan like the $40/5gb or even the $25/1gb plan. Sure you don't need the calling/texting features and the data is throttled 4G LTE but it doesn't make a huge amount of difference and I hardly think at $30/1gb you are streaming HD content. With no number tied to the account you could activate on the current flash sale with a new SIM card (the $40/5gb w/autopay would be $28 p/m for the next 8 months plus the referral credit and reward.) If you live in Vancouver you can get a free SIM card with in store activation at go mobile repair on Broadway near Cambie.

Edit: It appears you may only be getting 3G (throttled 4G LTE) anyhow! Use up your 1gb data first and remove your autopay and credit card info from the account and then insert  the new SIM card you activate on the flash sale. Your data only account will suspend and be cancelled after 90 days.

JanTanton

I am new to PM and was able to set up three phones and successfully transfer from my previous provider as well as move the old phone numbers over to my PM account, but needed to use 4 separate email accounts etc. 

My challenge was ordering the data plan and setting up my iPad with the data plan, getting the cellular network to function. It seems to work with the change on the APN setting, however, in the online PM instructions, it shows the APN setting to be "SP.MB,COM" vs. "sp.mb.com" which is the correct setting.

As for the other settings that are prescribed, I cannot even see those on my tablet anywhere.

What does concern me is that it lists the iPad as being on a 3G network vs. a 4LTE and since we are paying for the 4LTE...just wondering if anyone has any input into this?

Thanks for the thread.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi - I know this is an old post - I have an iPad 2nd generation and even though it recognizes the PM Sim it will not connect to the internet - Went into settings but can not locate where the APTN can be changed - can you tell me where and how?  Found it and changed the APN Setting and it works! Thanks..thanks..thanks!

@gdbenben wrote:

Update: 10 mins after this is posted, the iPad shows Public Mobile LTE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had a similar situation with OP RE: iPad compatibility.

I own an iPad 4 (Wifi+cellular) which I have tested FIDO LTE Data plan on, it showed FIDO LTE and was able to browse without any setting changes.

And then I put PM SIM in it.

1, firstly, it showed "No service",

2, I then reset the network setting on the iPad,

3, it showed "Public Mobile 3G" on top left, but with default APN setting, I can't browse any websites,

4, I then changed the APN setting to: sp.mb.com instead of default sp.telus.com,

5, it worked, I can browse internet without problem,

6, now that the only problem is it shows "Public Mobile 3G" all the time, even the LTE option is enabled.

This is not a concern for me but thought it might help somebody else who's having problem with iPad celluar.

gdbenben
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Update: 10 mins after this is posted, the iPad shows Public Mobile LTE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had a similar situation with OP RE: iPad compatibility.

I own an iPad 4 (Wifi+cellular) which I have tested FIDO LTE Data plan on, it showed FIDO LTE and was able to browse without any setting changes.

And then I put PM SIM in it.

1, firstly, it showed "No service",

2, I then reset the network setting on the iPad,

3, it showed "Public Mobile 3G" on top left, but with default APN setting, I can't browse any websites,

4, I then changed the APN setting to: sp.mb.com instead of default sp.telus.com,

5, it worked, I can browse internet without problem,

6, now that the only problem is it shows "Public Mobile 3G" all the time, even the LTE option is enabled.

This is not a concern for me but thought it might help somebody else who's having problem with iPad celluar.

That's ok @7789849803 I can just about find the phone pad for Android. Man Wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Luddite How've you been, good sir?! It was fun reading the words of your last post. Though it made about as much sense to me as hieroglyphics. I'm so Apple-illiterate Smiley LOL

This may be off topic a little but I had difficulty getting data to function on my iPhone in England that ultimately seemed to be related to VPNs I had set up in Canada. This was the solution:

per sloz at giffgaff:

Go to

Settings

General

Profiles

And remove any data or vpn profiles there

(if you don't see the profile tab. It means you don't have any profiles installed so you can go to the next step)

Reset network settings

Go to

Settings

General

Reset

Reset network settings

The phone will switch off and restart automatically in a few minutes

Once the phone restarts

Switch on airplane mode and switch off

Now try and connect to a Web page via safari

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

csphone

Oh I agree. It's BS at its finest. That said I have reproduced the error on two different brand new iPad Mini 4s and am sad to report that afaik Apple has no interest in fixing it to make it compatible. It's not APN (I made my iPhone work), it's not SIM issues.

I'm not saying it's PM's fault at all and in fact am happy to use PM for all my other phone needs, just that for this use case I had to switch to Telus as path of least resistance.

I'm posting this to let others know what I've tried in regards to fixing this issue in case anyone else runs into this problem, and also in hopes that someone will update me if they get it to work. 

@csphone Do you see how: (1) given the vague information from them, and (2) This problem existing only on that Apple device,

that it would appear as if Apple is simply passing on the buck? Like I said, everyone else is able to use data without any problem, so all the evidence does point at this being a device-specific issue. I fail to see what PM could do about an issue that is so device-specific.

csphone

It was something specifically regarding iPad compatibility. I'm using an iPhone 5S no problem with data on PM, but the iPad Mini 4 Cellular edition is specifically incompatible, no reason disclosed. 

@csphone What specifically did they say was causing the problem? Clearly, there's tens of thousands of people across the country (myself included) using data on PM, so we know whatever the problem is, it doesn't affect the majority of PM customers.

csphone

I did, they said it's the provider's fault...ugh. I ended up switching to a telus tablet plan. 😞

@csphone I would suggest reaching out to Apple support about this.

csphone

Wanted to echo that I'm having same issues on both of my office's iPad Mini 4s. It's definitely not an error in set up, especially since I have tried it on my iPhone and that works. 

@Simon wrote:

@ithabise@ Yes, I am still experiencing the same problem. And I would bet @vrance is too. There is something weird in iOS 9.x causing PM data plan not to work on iPads (but it is still working fine on iPhones).

And I guess the problem won't be fixed until someone working for PM see the problem for themselves and contacts Apple about it...

Have YOU (as an Apple customer) tried contacting Apple about it? I doubt there's much reason (or incentive) for PM to contact Apple about anything.

ithabise

@Simon, thank you very much for the update! I hope this problem will be solved eventually, since I signed into Public Mobile only to use mobile data with my ipad. Smiley Happy

Simon

@ithabise Yes, I am still experiencing the same problem. And I would bet @vrance is too. There is something weird in iOS 9.x causing PM data plan not to work on iPads (but it is still working fine on iPhones).

And I guess the problem won't be fixed until someone working for PM see the problem for themselves and contacts Apple about it...

That's my point exactly, @ithabise. The problem lies with the device and/or its software. None of us here will be able to help you resolve that problem, because it does not originate in PM and its systems.

The only two solutions I can think of are, to either visit a device repair shop to seek their help and advice, or to search forums specific to your device to see what can be done.

ithabise

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll visit any mobile phone repair shop to see if my ipad is configured in a wrong way. I also believe that "almost" all other users are able to use data without a problem, however at least two of them in this thread above, Simon and vrance, seem to have issue, only with ipad mini 2 running ios version 9.x (although mine is mini 4, all the details of my problems are the same as described throughout this thread). I just assumed that they are still experiencing the same problem since there are no follow-ups in this thread...

@ithabise There is no known issue regarding PM data being incompatible with a certain device. I would urge you to take your device to your nearest mobile phone repair shop to seek their assistance in making sure your data is configured correctly. It is almost a certainty that the problem lies with your device (since all other users are able to use data without a problem).

ithabise

Hi,

I'm also experiencing exactly the same problem.

My device is ipad mini 4, running ios 9.2. It's saying connected to Public Mobile 3G with full bars, but data is not available at all. I've also followed all the procedure proposed in this thread including APN setting, reset, etc., but all of them didn't work. Isn't there any hope that this problem will be solved sooner or later? Smiley Frustrated

Simon

Thanks a lot @vrance for your input!

All the tests I did with PM and my iPad mini 2 where on iOS 9.x.

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @Simon, I tried and confirmed that it is not working (thus, it is not your ipad mini 2 issue).  When I checked the APN, I do not see the whole setting like iphone, and only the APN section is allowed to input (the mobile hotspot section was originally grayed out, and after I reboot, it mentioned to contact Telus).  I tried unlockit.co.nz and iphone configuration utility and both are not working.  I think it is some setup on the Public Mobile which ignore the APN setting in ipad, even though we can input or install the profile.  Many carriers control what can be input and what cannot be input.  Public Mobile staff like @Jeremy_M@Mansi_G or @Moid_I please check with the technical team if there is any difference in handling for ipad and iphone.  I did not recall what the setting in IOS 8.4 was since I tried when @Simon first post that there was an issue, and I tried in IOS 8.4 and not a problem.  This problem started in IOS 9.02 (my version) or whatever version that @Simon is in.

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @Simon, I recently updated my ipad mini 2 LTE to 9.02, and will try to see if there is any issue with the Public Mobile SIM card (I normally use Wind on the ipad and Public Mobile on the iphone).  Last time, when you reported the problem, I was still in 8.1 and was working ok.  I will try later tonight and let you know if I have any issue.

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@Simon

Have you taken a look at this thread: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/47723/tips-on-avoiding-could-not-activate-cellular-data-net...

Also what you can do is:

Reset network settings on you ipad 

Follow the instructions below to reset your iPad®'s network settings:

• Step 1: Tap Settings.
  • Step 2: Tap General.
  • Step 3: Scroll down to the bottom of the page and tap Reset.
  • Step 4: Tap Reset Network Settings.
  • Step 5:You will get a prompt warning you that this option will delete all network settings and return them to factory default settings.  Tap Reset to continue.
  • Step 6:Wait while your iPad® resets its network settings.

Manually choose network provider

1. Find "Carrier"
Tap Settings.
Tap CARRIER.
2. Choose option
Choose one of the following options:
Select network manually, go to 2a.
Select network automatically, go to 2b.
2a - Select network manually
Tap the indicator next to Automatic to turn off automatic network selection.
Your device will search for networks within range.
A list of available networks will show on your display.
Tap the required network.
Your display will tell you if you've access to the network you've chosen.
2b - Select network automatically
Tap the indicator next to Automatic to turn on automatic network selection.
5. Save and exit
Tap the Home key to return to standby mode.

Cheers!

@Simon & @Martin: I've posted an idea that would have been very helpful in this situation. Please review it and Bravo if you support it:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/Outbound-Phone-Support-for-Complex-Issues/i...

@Simon To me, it seems from your description that the problem lies somehow with the settings on your iPad. Which is why I feel like PM Support would be better qualified to know what to look out for given your device and iOS version.

It could be something as simple as an APN setting that needs to be slightly different on your device.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @Simon,

Considering that your problem is specific to PM, I certainly hope that you find resolution without further delay.

Good luck!
Need Help? Let's chat.