cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile data plan and iPad compatibility

Simon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi!

Is there any know incompatibility between the iPad and Public Mobile data plans?

I recently received a new Tri-Sim from Public Mobile, and subscribed to a data plan. I was able to successfully test it in both an Andoroid phone, and an iPhone 6; I simply had to configure the correct Data APN in the devices settings, and voila.

I tried to same thing on a cellular iPad mini 2 (those are always unlocked). The simcard is recognized by the device, and I get "Public Mobile 3G", with 3/5 dots for the signal strength, in the top left corner of the screen. The APN is configured correctly, like I did with the other devices.

But, I can't access the Internet. All I get is: "Could not activate cellular data network".

One strange thing: Under "Settings -> Cellular Data", I have a "View Account" menu. When I access it, I get: "Cellular Data Account: The  system has encountered an error or is not available. Please try again later or call customer care", with a Telus logo.

It looks like the iPad confuse the Public Mobile Sim for one of those iPad "special" Sim you can get from Telus/Rogers/Bell, and activate/pre-pay for directly from the iPad.

Anyone seen this before? Is there an known workaround?

Thanks!

60 REPLIES 60

Simon

@Martin simply because my problem is specific to Public Mobile. I have an iPad data plan with Telus, and that SIM works just fine if I put it into my iPad mini 2...

And, has I said initially, I have no problem with my PM SIM if I put it into my iPhone. The only problem I have is with the specific combination I am trying to use: PM sim in my iPad mini 2.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

There are two forums where you can pose your Apple-related questions: Koodo's and Telus'. Why not post in one or both?

FYI.

aguyfromontario
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

ipad mini 2 LTE 64 GB.. IOS 9.. working just fine with my PM sim in it!

your welcome!

@Simon The problem cannot be connected to all iPad mini 2 LTE users, nor PM SIMs (data only or otherwise).

It is possible that this matter is specific to iOS9.x - but even in that event, PM Support would be well-equipped to be able to advise you on what course to follow.

I would suggest you email them, and if someone in the community has more input on these problems, hopefully they'll chime in now as well. If your problem remains unresolved for 48 hours after emailing support, one of the community managers here can step in and escalate the matter for you.

Simon

@7789849803 you are right, I should have e-mailed PM support about my issue on my iPad mini 2 a long time ago. But I didn't yet.

I was really hopping to get some feedback from anyone here in the community who would have tried the same thing on the same hardware and same OS:

- iPad mini 2 (LTE)

- iOS 9.x

- PM SIM with a data plan

So far, no answer I got matches all three of those criterias. I'd really like to know if any one with that setup got it working. And, if the answer is no, knowing I am not alone with that problem would probably help when contacting PM support...

@Simon - it sounds like this issue has been ongoing for quite a while for you now. Have you emailed PM support about this issue yet? I know you emailed them for some of the other problems you faced initially, but I'm unsure if you've contacted them about this already. If you have, please confirm how long ago you emailed them, and what they said in their response (if any).

Simon

@aguyfromontario Sorry, but I am still having the same problem as before with my iPad mini 2 (now on iOS 9.1)

And I don't think what you say about atomatic APN settings being correct for PM on iOS 8.1 or higher is correct; on my device, if I reset the APN to the OS default, it gets back to "isp.telus.com" which isn't functionnal for PM clients.

aguyfromontario
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

http://www.unlockit.co.nz simply open that site.. and follow the instructions to install the APN settings for your ipad. also.. if your ipad is 8.1.9 or higher.. it will auto setup with no settings required as the carier update is included for public mobile!

Simon

Thanks @vrance. But even with an "APN Carrier Settings" configuration profile from "unlockit.co.nz", it still isn't working on my iPad mini 2.

Let me know if everything is still working for you after you upgrade to iOS 9...

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @Simon, I also has the issue when clicking that "Account Details" but I do not need to do anything but just ensure the APN is correct and mobile data is seton, just like iphone.  I am not using IOS 9 yet.  Please try unlockit.co.nz using safari browser and choose Canada Public Mobile.  It will install the APN into the ipad.  This is working for people using IOS 7 in iphone 4S, and confirm working.  This may work for you.

Simon

Hi @vrance,

I am still having the same problem with my iPad mini 2. It's now on iOS 9.0.1

Out of curiosity:

- On your iPad mini 2, when you put the PM SIM in, under "Settings --> Cellular Data", do you see the "View Account" button, like I do (under it, it says "View account information or add more data")?

- Did you get your PM SIM recently?

vrance

Hi @Simon, I just tried to put the PM SIM from iphone to ipad mini 2, and the data worked flawlessly.  I did need to change the APN on the ipad mini 2 the same way as iphone.  I assume your IOS is 8 or onwards, or you need to use unlockit.co.nz in the Safari browser andd choose Public Mobile to install the profile to change the apn.

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/settings.php?id=1019

I'm sure iPads can work with PM's HSPA+4G LTE, APN Needs to be set to PM's iOS exact protocols 

Chicklets

I'm sure that you're aware that you can get a tablet plan from one of the big 3 for a lot cheaper than you could from Public Mobile.  If there a specific reason you're trying you use your iPad with Public Mobile 

deltatux

@Simon wrote:

@deltatux If Public Mobile data service is incompatible with LTE iPads, that fact should be clearly documented somewhere...

@Simon, seeing how Public Mobile literally uses the same service as TELUS, try entering in the TELUS data plan APN and see if it works. Other than that, there's really no other reason why it's not working.

Have you also tried emailing PM about this issue?

Martin
Legend
Legend
Simon,

PM does not support iPhone visual voicemail.

Simon

@deltatux If Public Mobile data service is incompatible with LTE iPads, that fact should be clearly documented somewhere...

Simon

@imm1304 I had a second Public Mobile Sim card on hand. Sadly replacing the first one by the second didn't change anything. I get the axact same results...

deltatux

@Simon wrote:

@makkahn28 I was simply currious to try out Public Mobile services. I might eventually port my number. But honestly, until now, I must say the road is bumpy.

1: I had troubles during the account creation process. I got an error at the last step. My credit card was charged but I couldn't access my self service account. The problem was eventually sorted out, by e-mailing consumer support, but it took a long time:

September 2: Activation problem

September 4: First reply from Public Mobile

September 7: Second reply from Public Mobile

September 9: Third reply from Public Mobile; problem solved.

It's possible I didn't help my case by starting the conversation with them in French. Who knows. Still big delays between communications.

2: Now, I face that "incompatibility" problem with my iPad

3: I don't think Public Mobile offers the iPhone Visual Voicemail as an option

And Rogers recently announced they will support WiFi calling on the iPhone. That might hold me back for a while.

So yeah, I am still currious to try out Public Mobiles services, and will probably recommand them to friends and familly when I see they offer better prices than the competition. But it isn't time for me personally to make the switch right now...

@Simon, Public Mobile is still in beta, rough bumps are to be expected. Plus, the no frills nature of the business means that support comes in the form of the community or emailing their support team as they do not have a call centre for customers after January 2015.

As for your iPad issue, I think it's because their APN is not set for data use. I know other carriers have specific APN servers for data-only/tablet plans. This is likely the cause of your issues.

PM is always evolving, so ivoice mail maybe a reality, Who knows

Simon

@makkahn28 I was simply currious to try out Public Mobile services. I might eventually port my number. But honestly, until now, I must say the road is bumpy.

1: I had troubles during the account creation process. I got an error at the last step. My credit card was charged but I couldn't access my self service account. The problem was eventually sorted out, by e-mailing consumer support, but it took a long time:

September 2: Activation problem

September 4: First reply from Public Mobile

September 7: Second reply from Public Mobile

September 9: Third reply from Public Mobile; problem solved.

It's possible I didn't help my case by starting the conversation with them in French. Who knows. Still big delays between communications.

2: Now, I face that "incompatibility" problem with my iPad

3: I don't think Public Mobile offers the iPhone Visual Voicemail as an option

And Rogers recently announced they will support WiFi calling on the iPhone. That might hold me back for a while.

So yeah, I am still currious to try out Public Mobiles services, and will probably recommand them to friends and familly when I see they offer better prices than the competition. But it isn't time for me personally to make the switch right now...

Simon

@NDesai Yes, has I said before, I did configure the APN settings.

If your Phone can Tether, why bother with APN stuff? Besides, You pay a lot in Data alone, why not Bundle to save?

Public Mobile is 4G LTE. If telus works on yours, than PM should also work.

Did you add APN settings?

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Your particular sim may be damaged/defective.  I just helped a friend set up a new account using the new tri-sim an hour ago.  He is getting good signal strength with LTE data.

Order another sim, they are not taking too long to arrive.  Changing sim for your account is very simple and takes just a minute in self-serve. 

Simon

@imm1304 I just did a couple of test:

In the iPad mini 2:

- Public Mobile Sim: 3G - No Data

- Telus Sim: LTE - Data works fine

- Fido Sim: LTE - Data works fine

In an iPhone:

- Public Mobile Sim: 3G - Data works fine

I have the feeling there is something different/wrong with the new Tri-Sim Public Mobile are sending:

- It only allows for 3G date (no LTE)

- The iPad sees it as a "special" iPad Sim, made for pre-paid plan, activated directly on the iPad (even if it isn't the case, and the required background services arent in place to support that kind of thing).

Any one else have access to a new Public Mobile Tri-Sim, a data plan activated on it, and an LTE iPad to test? I would very much like to know if my problem can be replicated...

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Simon, your ipad mini 2 should get LTE data because it is compatible with Telus network which is what we the PM customers are using.  

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network.

Then make sure LTE is enabled in Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE

Reboot

Check APN to make sure they are right.

Disable Auto and then connect manually to mobile network.  Go to list of available networks and manually select the network. 

This got me going in the past when I had issues with Bell in similar situation.  Good luck 

Simon

@Luddite Yes, I tried rebooting. It didn't help...

@Simon This thread claims it will connect: Does Public Mobile offer data plans for tablets?

So if correct, your problem is related to settings. @chukdefatey thought so too, but I can't find any more details than the settings you likely tried here:        How do I set up data/APN on my smartphone?            

Assume you tried rebooting.

If you do resolve, it would be great to post your solution.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

If iPad has Sim Slot, Yes.

Even if it lacks it, If your Phone has tethering abilities, You can still use it

Need Help? Let's chat.