cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with incoming calls...

Barryere
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello,

This is not my issue, it is a friend's issue. When they are called the first time sometimes the caller is sent straight to voicemail and you have to call again to get a dial tone / a possible answer from them.

I just called them twice a few minutes ago and last night I also called and the first time it was voicemail, I had to call again.

7 REPLIES 7

@Barryere, awesome!  Glad we were able to assist you with this.

Barryere

Yeah, you'd be right.

I asked them to find the DND feature and they said it was on without their knowledge (they aren't tech savvy at all). They turned it off and I called back and I got them on the first try.

Thanks a bunch.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Barryereit has nothing to do with cell reception see @stonechucker post and mine.  it is 99.9% the do not disturb feature. 

Barryere

My friend and I both live in the same small town. They have an iPhone 4s running iOS 9.3.5 and I'm using an iPhone 5s running iOS 12.1.1.

They do have another phone so we'll try that out. But as I have an iPhone as well and we're in the same town, I haven't been told personally that when people call me it goes straight to voicemail.

We get 1-3 bars out of 5 normally, although my other friend who works with cell towers told me that bars are actually somewhat irrelevant and to get a much better idea of your signal it is best to go into your settings and see what your SNR ratio is. According to them -80 to -90 is ideal and -90 and up is getting bad, -110 and over being very bad. The bars are simply a very, very rough estimate.

Personally I get about 1-2 bars inside where I live and service works fine usually, from time to time I'll have no service. Outside I'll get anywhere between 1-3 bars, if I'm lucky 4.

I'd have to ask to be sure but I'd have to guess my friend whose having problem likely has the same amount of bars, living in the same town.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

This is totally the Do Not Disturb functionality.  On my android, I have DND turn on at certain times during the weeknights, different on the weekends.  I can flag certain callers to have immediate access to calling me, others must call twice (as an option) to get through, within a few minutes.

It's the destination party that sets the rule on the device.  DND can also be turned on manually.

I love this feature as it's my primary phone, and sometimes I just don't want it to bother me, but still need certain folks to have the ability to get me ASAP.  My list is very short.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

This reminds me of the do not disturb feature being enabled. Call once hoe to vm, call within x minutes get through.

@Barryere what phone is is iPhone or Android? 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Barryere

Maybe your friend lives in an area with weaker service reception.  In some areas, Bell/Telus reception is weaker than Rogers, etc.  How many service bars are shown in their phone? Maybe re-booting the phone might help?  Has your friend tried the SIM card in another phone to see whether that still happens?  Maybe it is a hardware issue also....

Need Help? Let's chat.