cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem downloading and updating Apps on Samsung phone

Mystique
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, When I try to download or update apps on my phone, I'm asked to install a new version of Samsung Galaxy Apps but then I get a Network connection error. This has been happening ever since signing up with PM which makes it impossible to download or update any apps on my phone. I'm also unable to download the Play Store App. I was told by a phone technician to contact PM. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Francine

34 REPLIES 34

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Mystique wrote:

Hi DOA,

The problem is that I don't have the Play Store app. I am connected to wifi but I'm unable to download any apps. I can browse the web no problem.

Sorry, I missed that.

You say you've tried downloading apps from your browser, but have you tried sideloading the play store app?

To sideload, point your chrome browser to https://www.apkmirror.com/  and search for play store.

Click the download button next to the newest apk version 22.0.18.

Click on the 3 vertical dots on the  top right of chrome and click Downloads.

Find the play store apk in the Downloads folder and click it.  Click install using installer.

If that doesn't work for some reason, you can also download the apk to a PC and then copy it to your phone using a usb cable or SD card.

@maggiemarie wrote: did You try and restart your phone? 

@maggiemarie wrote: Go to Settings > Apps > All > Google Play Store and select both Clear data and Clear cache and finally Uninstall updates. Restart your device, open Google Play Store and try to downloadthe app again.

@maggiemarie  As the OP stated in the first post, she does not have the play store app and can't get it. That is essentially what all 4 pages of the thread were about. Way beyond a simple restart.

maggiemarie

Go to Settings > Apps > All > Google Play Store and select both Clear data and Clear cache and finally Uninstall updates. Restart your device, open Google Play Store and try to downloadthe app again.

maggiemarie

did You try and restart your phone? 

Mystique

@Anonymousoh ha ha. thanks for clarifying.

Mystique

@gpixelI don't know if there's malware. That's a really good point you're making about the google account. I'll make sure to have the previous owner's google info. Maybe that's why I'm having issues downloading apps from Google Play. I've got my gmail programmed into the phone but I'm thinking the original google account was the previous owner's account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mystique wrote:

@Anonymousthanks. Can you explain what "rooted the phone. iirc" means?

You're being well-answered on everything else so I'll add the one bit here. iirc means if I recall correctly. I suppose the first letter could've been capitalized. Sorry writing for confusion the 🙂

Mystique

@kb_mv$700 ouch! lol The phone belonged to my mother who was always "creating" technical issues because she would panic and do stuff and then not remember what she did. She was with Koodo so I think I know where she got the phone. I'll think about my next step. Thanks for your help.

Mystique

@kb_mvthanks for the link. I'll check it out.

@Mystique I have done some pretty stupid things with my phones (short of rooting) and my repair shop "almost" always manages to save me (I did brick a $700 phone lol). It might be worth the visit if you run into deep troubles.

Edited to add: one repair required completely wiping the phone and manually installing the latest system software.

Mystique

@gpixelI'll see what I can do. The problem is that I can't get into my google account. Thanks.

@gpixel FRP doesn't get triggered when performing a factory reset through the regular settings menus. 

@Mystique are you sure there isn't malware on that phone? you need to be careful when factory resetting because if there is a Google account registered. you will need to login to that exact account after the factory reset otherwise you won't be able to get into the phone.

FRP doesn't get triggered when performing a factory reset through the regular settings menus. 

*oh. what triggers the reset protection?

@Mystique wrote:

@kb_mvI just tried to do that and I had tried before to download other apps from my browser but it gets "stuck" into processing mode when I try to sign into my google account. It's strange because I can access gmail.

@Mystique Unfortunately it sounds like you will need to reset the phone. Let us know the results if you do it.

Mystique

@kb_mvI just tried to do that and I had tried before to download other apps from my browser but it gets "stuck" into processing mode when I try to sign into my google account. It's strange because I can access gmail.

@computergeek541 wrote:

If files are on a removable memory card, that stuff might not get erased, but if the card has been encypted, it might not be readable again after the factory reset.

@Mystique @computergeek541 Maybe this is obvious but I would remove the card if you have one installed before you reset the phone.

@Mystique Factory resetting causes all user content to be erased.  Back anything up that you wish to keep.

If files are on a removable memory card, that stuff might not get erased, but if the card has been encypted, it might not be readable again after the factory reset.

@Mystique Correct, you lose everything. Just back up everything first. 

Mystique

@kb_mvthat's what I thought it meant. Yeah, it may be what happened. I'll consider a factory reset. I would lose everything though? contacts, messages, photos, etc?

@Mystique it means the Operating System was modified. I suggest factory resetting the phone. this will delete everything on the device and start fresh

I would lose everything though? contacts, messages, photos, etc?

*contact should be saved on your Google or Samsung account. look for autosync and sync your apps/contacts/pictures/music if you would like(you can also download this to your desktop)

@Mystique wrote:

@Mystique rooted means someone bypassed the system and loaded a different version of the software that allows certain additions or deletions that otherwise would not be possible. Risky if you don't know what you are doing lol. Have you tried a factory reset of the phone? Maybe that would bring it back to what it is supposed to be. Not sure though as I have never has the nerve to root my phone.

Mystique

@Mystique As a work around you can access the play store from a browser. On your phone or a desktop. Not as elegant as auto updating, but it should show you your apps associated with the account. Check your PM's, I will send you other info, perhaps not appropriate for here.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mystique 

Sorry for your loss. Maybe they or someone before them rooted the phone. iirc that's one of the side-effects of rooting.

Mystique

@kb_mvthat's what the local technician told me too and said I needed to contact PM?? I can access Maps, Search, Gmail no problem. I inherited the phone from a deceased family member. Somehow, the Play Store app is missing and I can't download apps so it's a catch 22.

@Mystique That's unusual that your phone doesn't have the Play Store app. Are the other Google apps there? Maps, Search etc?

Mystique

Hi DOA,

The problem is that I don't have the Play Store app. I am connected to wifi but I'm unable to download any apps. I can browse the web no problem.

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi Francine,

Open the Play Store app, click on the 3 lines top left, click on 'download apps over any network' and try again.

It sounds like you're not connected to wifi, which is how apps usually get downloaded.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Mystique wrote:

Hi, When I try to download or update apps on my phone, I'm asked to install a new version of Samsung Galaxy Apps but then I get a Network connection error. This has been happening ever since signing up with PM which makes it impossible to download or update any apps on my phone. I'm also unable to download the Play Store App. I was told by a phone technician to contact PM. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Francine

@Mystique I have an S9 and have experienced no issues with this.

Need Help? Let's chat.