cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Number Coming up on only one Number ????

cossak2007
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have a Moto Z android phone.

Am a volunteer driver for a non profit agency

Phone display comes up as Private on incoming call .from agency.

Everything good at their end.

I had their staff call their personal phones from company and all have reported that the agency name and phone number shows up...NOT Private like mine.

When they call me and I have their name and phone number in my contacts, it comes up as Private.

Have contacted Motorola for support and we did many things with no solution.

Motorola said it was my cell service provider issue.

Yesterday I did a Factory reset.....same result

Last night I flashed the latest Motorola stock rom....same result as I had agency call me again this morning and Private again.

Coming in as Private does not give me the option of setting a distinct ringtone for the number.

Only one contact and phone number in my contacts that has this issue.

At wits end.

Help  🙂

Terry

54 REPLIES 54

@cossak2007 

Click the 3 dots on right side of your post to edit it. This is a public forum and now everyone can see two numbers. I presume yours as well as the organization.

cossak2007
09/07/2020 2:05Incoming Call#######  

From Public Mobile Usage history.

Number ( 519-#######) can't be masked if it is showing up as above I would think.

Number is HN Senior Support Services , a public phone number

I don't really believe the agency staff who report that the agency is not masking their outgoing caller ID. Easy enough to test by having them try calling you at another number or two.

But if the problem is apparently only related to this one number then simply add it to your contacts list. If they use multiple numbers then request a list of all these numbers, add them all to the contact info. Or just tell them they gotta reveal their phone number and/or they gotta leave a voicemail/text if they want a response from you.

Caller ID implementations are finicky and poorly understood, partly because the phone people in charge of the system don't readily share technical specifics with the public domain.

I have observed "private", "unknown", and "blocked" calls which will display the incoming phone number - while the call is still "ringing" and waiting for the receiver to pickup - but will afterwards prevent you from retrieving it. This suggests that part of the security built into the whole "private" caller ID system depends on cooperation from the end-user's phone software. You might be lucky enough to have a device/software which will momentarily display masked incoming calls, though you'd better have a good memory or a notepad handy because once it stops ringing it also obscures the number from you forevermore.

cossak2007

Will do....

FYI None of the 7 staff at agency are on Public Mobile

Rogers Koodo Fido Telus Bell

@cossak2007  My guess is that the issue is on the agency's side. Maybe your number made onto one of their lists? If your not attached to your PM number you can try changing it via selfserve and see if it resolves the issue. Otherwise wait for the moderator to respond. Please keep us posted.

cossak2007

Have had same number for years and about 3 years with Public Mobile.

Issue started about 4 months ago before pandemic.

But Support Services closed office and suspended services March 13th and resumed about 3 weeks ago.

@cossak2007  What about your Public Mobile number?

cossak2007

All of the phones in office are the same number.....

@cossak2007  Did you recently change your number? When did this start happening?

@cossak2007  Is it every number from this business. Or one person's?  Thanks.

cossak2007

Put Sim card into my backup phone...same result  🙂

cossak2007

Put Sim card into my backup Asus phone.

Incoming call from agency still coming up as Private 🙂

plmzaqplmzaq100
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

if it's an incoming call that reads private number the person who is calling you has his/her call settings on hide number and should change it to network default or show number

cossak2007

Last resort for now but thanks...have left issue with moderator group and see what they come up with and then will try your solution...:)

Well... First rule out your phone as the issue by trying your sim in a different phone and having them try to call. Then would be nice to confirm if they can call anyone else you know on Public Mobile to see if they see private caller as well.

Then try forwarding your public Mobile phone to another line that has caller ID, and see if it comes through when they call your public mobile number...

@cossak2007 try logging into your self serve and putting your phone in lost/stolen mode and then disabling it to try and reset the sim network

Im stumped @cossak2007 , calling for technical help. @Nezgar , @computergeek541 , @sheytoon  amd @Korth . Please help. Thanks.

cossak2007

Phone settings ..Caller ID default network on

cossak2007

tried the phone code but get error connection problem or invalid MMI code

@cossak2007  try turning on your caller id Open the Phone app, then tap Menu>Settings>Call Settings>Additional Settings, and make sure Caller ID is turned on. Does this also happen with numbers that are in your contacts? had the same problem. Try to reload your phone.

Or 

How to turn on caller ID. To display the caller's identity on your phone's call screen, dial *234#.

Stay safe. 

cossak2007

Already set as Network Default...other options on screen are Hide Number and Show Number.

It only shows Private for this one contact.

Under this contact it shows all incoming and outgoing calls with the phone number

cossak2007

Yes...very very strange .....have deleted contact and re entered contact etc and same Private number result.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@cossak2007 contact customer support here maybe they can provide some insight. that's odd if it's only one number.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a message

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@cossak2007 is it only happening for this particular business number? Thanks.  Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.